Why does the moon seem to change? Vocabulary Moon Orbit New moon First quarter moon Crater Crescent moon Last quarter moon Full Moon http://www.youtube.com
Post on 25-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- Slide 3
- Why does the moon seem to change?
- Slide 4
- Vocabulary Moon Orbit New moon First quarter moon Crater Crescent moon Last quarter moon Full Moon http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=AQRNzepe4wI
- Slide 5
- What is the moon? The moon is a huge ball of rock that moves in an orbit around the Earth. Orbit= travel around The moon doesnt give off its own light like stars, it reflects light from the sun. The part you can see of the moons lit side changes each night. The phases, or shapes you see, change as the moon moves.
- Slide 6
- What is the surface of the Moon like? The surface of the moon has many things on it such as craters, mountains, and valleys. Scientists believe the craters were formed years ago by meteors hitting the moon's surface. Craters are the remains of collisions between an asteroid, comet, or meteorite.
- Slide 7
- Slide 8
- Phases of the Moon The new moon occurs when the moon and the sun are on the same side of Earth. We see the side which is not lit, so the moon appears dark to us You can tell when the moon is first quarter because the sun lit side is on the right side as shown on the right. third or last A third or last quarter moon shows the sunlit side of the moon on the left. At a full moon, the earth, moon, and sun are in alignment, just as the new moon, but the moon is on the opposite side of the earth, so the entire sunlit part of the moon is facing us. How many days are there between phases?
- Slide 9
- About 1 week about 3-4 days The changes follow a pattern that repeats about every 29 days.
- Slide 10
- Slide 11
- Break up into groups Group 1- seat work- Page 14-15 in workbook, Moon Phases Worksheet,If I took a trip to the moon,word search with vocabulary words Group 2 Will use the ball (The moon) and flashlight (The sun). One student will hold ball above head and turn slowly counter clockwise. The other student will hold flashlight and be able to see the differences in the phases of the moon as the other student slowly turns in a circle. -Full moon- is bright -New moon- is dark Group 3- demonstrate the different phases of the moon by scraping off the crme on the inside of the cookie. Each student will have a different phase of the moon to represent.
- Slide 12
- What causes the change in moon phases? The phases of the Moon depend on its position in relation to the Sun and Earth. As the Moon makes its way around the Earth, we see the bright parts of the Moon's surface at different angles. These are called "phases" of the Moon. The Moon appears to change shape but what we are actually seeing is the Moon lit up by the light from the Sun in different ways on different days.
- Slide 13
- Slide 14
- Review We can see the Moon because light from the Sun bounces off it back to the Earth. If the Sun wasn't there, we wouldn't be able to see the Moon. The Sun always lights up (illuminates) one side of the Moon. New Moon- The side of the moon facing the Earth is not illuminated. First Quarter- During first quarter, 1/2 of the moon is visible for the first half of the evening, and then goes down, leaving the sky very dark. Full Moon -When we can observe the entire face of the moon, we call it a Full Moon. Last Quarter -During a Last Quarter Moon we can see exactly 1/2 of the Moon's lighted surface. If you were to see a quarter moon in the sky, how could you tell which quarter it was? (When the right side is lighted, it is a first quarter. When the left side is lighted, it is the last quarter.)
View more >
New moon Full Moon Waxing Crescent 1st Quarter 3 rd Quarter Waning Gibbous Waning Crescent Waxing Crescent
CRCT Questions The waxing-crescent moon occurs directly before the____. A.New moon B.Full moon C.First-quarter D.Waning-gibbous
The Moon - Earth’s Satellite Earth’s satellite. The 8 phases of the moon New Moon Waxing crescent 1 st quarter Waxing Gibbous * Full Moon Waning gibbous
Third Grade Matter. Science Essential Standards First Quarter Human Body Second Quarter Earth’s Features Plants Third Quarter Forces & Motion Earth/Moon/Sun
By: Mrs. Courtney Payne. In this Lesson we will be learning about the phases of the moon. New Moon Waxing Crescent Moon First Quarter Moon Waxing
Moon Phase Quizlet. 1. What Phase Am I? New Moon New Moon First Quarter First Quarter Full Moon Full Moon Third Quarter Third Quarter A B C D