Warsaw Uprising Photos

Download Warsaw Uprising Photos

Post on 05-Aug-2015

1.085 views

Category:

Documents

8 download

Embed Size (px)

DESCRIPTION

Warsaw Uprising Photos

TRANSCRIPT

<p>Warsaw Uprising Photos</p> <p>Captions by John Winner Polish language help from Tomek Basarabowicz</p> <p>Soldiers of Battalion 'Chrobry II' assemble near ul. elazna.</p> <p>Soldiers of Battalion 'Pi' assembled in the garden of the nursing home on ul. Karolkowa. Por. Stefan Matuszczyk 'Porawa' and mjr. Alfons Kotowski 'Oko' address a member of the battalion. In the background the 3rd platoon and nurses company.</p> <p>Members of Group 'Radosaw' in Wola.</p> <p>Members of Group 'Radosaw' in Wola.</p> <p>Watchtower of the German prison camp Gesiwka after its liberation.</p> <p>Insurgents sit on a barricade at ul. Sienna. From left to right. 'Kajtek', 'Pozorny', Miroslaw Biernacki 'General', unknown, 'Starza', Lampart', 'Wanda' and 'Zielony'.</p> <p>View down ul. Sienna. The barricade is constructed from pieces of the ghetto wall that was along ul. Wielka.</p> <p>Barricade at the intersection of ul. Okopowa and ul. ytnia. The name of Pk. Lis-Kuli on the banner.</p> <p>Barricade on ul. Okopowa near ul. Barona in the name of Stefan Okrzei.</p> <p>Barricade at the intersection of ul. Chodna and ul. Wronia.</p> <p>Insurgent Renault AHN in Wola.</p> <p>Column of vehicles captured by insurgents in Wola. Two Soviet built Gaz AA truck followed by a civilian Ford truck.</p> <p>4 August 1944, soldiers of squadron 'Jele' in Mokotw reading a leaflet dropped from a German plane, allegedly signed by General Br-Komorowski. From left to right: wachmistrz pchor. Henryk Sobaski 'Sukowski', st. uan pchor. Ryszard Pestkowski 'Olechoicz', st. uan pchor. Wadysaw Grabiski 'Pilawa'.</p> <p>Soldiers of Squadron 'Jele' in Mokotw while moving the body of the fallen ppor. Stanisaw Jenike 'Haskiego'. From left to right: uan pchor. Jzef Jezierski 'Aksak', unknown, st. uan pchor. Wadysaw Grabiski 'Pilawa', st. uan pchor. Pawe Makowski "Rapier'.</p> <p>Soldiers of Squadron 'Jele' on ul. Tyniecka in Mokotw. From left to right: Deputy Squadron Commander por. Jzef Grzebski 'Wiktorowski, Squadron Commander rtm. Lech Guchowski 'Jeycki', st. uan pchor. Jzef Ruszczyski 'Lis', st. uan pchor. Konrad Pawowski 'egota'.</p> <p>Soldiers of the squadron 'Jelen' on ul. Tyniecka in Mokotw.</p> <p>Soldiers of Squadron 'Jele' move out for a patrol at the corner of ul. Tyniecka and ul. Odyca. On the balcony two nurses of the Squadron, from left to right: Alina Ciembroziewicz-Zabieo 'Alina' adn Maria Kosicka 'Margaret'.</p> <p>Soldiers of Squadron 'Jele' on the terrace of the building on the corner of ul. Tyniecka and ul. Misyna in Mokotw. From left to right: unknown, plut. Balon 'Cepeliski', kpr. pchor. Andrzej Bontemps 'Mnich'.</p> <p>Kpr. pchor. Andrzej Bontemps 'Mnich' of Squardon 'Jele' with a car captured in Mokotw.</p> <p>Soldiers of Squadron 'Jele' running to a firing position with a machine gun and ammunition at Fort Legionw Dbrowsiego in Mokotw.</p> <p>20 August 1944, ppk. Stanisaw Kamiski 'Daniel' reviews Companies K 1 and 'Krawiec' at ul. Puawska, they came from Chojnowski Forest to assist in the Uprising. On the left: rtm. Lech Guchowski 'Jeycki', plut. pchor. Tadeusz Krassowski 'Start', ppk. Stanisaw Kamiski 'Daniel'. Across the row from right to left: kpr. Zygfryd Winiewski 'Mciciel', strz. Jzef Kraszewski 'Kot', st. strz. Janusz Ralski 'Magnus' and st. strz. Wacaw Muszyski 'Tyka'.</p> <p>Insurgent patrol on ul. Pilicka in Mokotw, probably from Squadron 'Jele'.</p> <p>A group of soldiers walks with ppk. Stanisaw Kamiski 'Daniel' along ul. Krasickiego.</p> <p>Insurgents run to the barricade at the corner of ul. Puawska and ul. Naruszewicza.</p> <p>Insurgents run to the barricade at the corner of ul. Puawska and ul. Naruszewicza.</p> <p>Insurgents at the barricade at the corner of ul. Puawska and ul. Naruszewicza.</p> <p>Insurgents at the barricade at the corner of ul. Puawska and ul. Naruszewicza. The second man from the right holds a 'Byskawica' submachine gun.</p> <p>Insurgents lay flowers at the grave of kpt. Jzef Szyszko 'Bachmat' in Mokotw. From left to right: por. Adam Jastrzbski 'Roan', por. Waldemar Olszewski 'Waldemar', por. Stanisaw Kietliski 'Hel', unknown, kpr. pchor. Andrzej Czarnecki 'Dulu'.</p> <p>A view of burning northern Mokotw from the insurgent position on ul. Odyca.</p> <p>(unknown name) 'Saw' stops people entering the tunnel under ul. Czerniakowska.</p> <p>Soldiers from Platoon 218 of Company 'yrafa' in fortified position at the convent of the Sisters of the Resurrection in oliborz. Marian Kuligowski 'Lisek' mans the machine gun.</p> <p>Soldiers from Platoon 218 of Company 'yrafa' in fortified position at the convent of the Sisters of the Resurrection in oliborz.</p> <p>Soldiers from Company 'yrafa' in fortified positions in the convent of the Sisters of the Resurrection in oliborz.</p> <p>Barricade on ul. Piwna in Stare Miasto.</p> <p>Barricade and barbed wire on ul. Barokowa, behind it is the headquarters of Armia Krajowa in Stare Miasto.</p> <p>Nurses in Stare Miasto pass through the barricade on ul. Piekarska at ul. Rycerska. From left to right: Teresa Kobylecka 'Grayna', Jolanta Mirosawska 'Irena' and Helena Brzozowska 'Anna'.</p> <p>Visit from the commander of Group 'Krybar', kpt. Cyprian Odorkiewicz 'Krybar', to the motor column at the Konserwatorium Muzyczne on ul. Oklnik. kpt. Cyprian Odorkiewicz 'Krybar' is on the right, deputy of the 8th motor column, Wacaw Jastrzbowski 'Aspira' is on the left holding a cuff title of the 5.SS-Panzer-Division 'Wiking', which was found in a captured Sd.Kfz. 251.</p> <p>An Sd.Kfz. 251 captured from 5.SS-Panzer-Division 'Wiking' by members of the Group 'Krybar'. The vehicle was named 'Szary Wilk' by the 8th motor column and is sitting in the Konserwatorium Muzycznym courtyard on ul. Oklnik.. It appears that the Sd.Kfz. 251 belonged to the Nachrichtenfernaufklarungskompanie of Division 'Wiking'.</p> <p>The captured Sd.Kfz. 251 'Szary Wilk' makes its way up ul. Tamka. It is part of the 8th motor column of Group 'Krybar'.</p> <p>Armored car 'Kubu' of the 8th motor colum of Group 'Krybar' in the courtyard of the Konserwatorium Muzycznym. The car was built on the chassis of a Chevrolet 157 van.</p> <p>Captured Jagdpanzer 38(t) at the intersection of Plac Napoleona and ul. Szpitalna, it was named 'Chwat' by the insurgents.</p> <p>Captured Jagdpanzer 38(t) at the intersection of Plac Napoleona and ul. Szpitalna, it was named 'Chwat' by the insurgents.</p> <p>Group 'Elektrownia' at the power plant in Powile.</p> <p>Insurgent setting up a barricade at the gate of ul. Ksica 6.</p> <p>Insurgents on patrol at the exit of ul. Obona, on the left is strz. Tadeusz Gnerowicz 'Szary' of 4th Company of the Group 'Krybar'.</p> <p>Barricade on ul. Tamka.</p> <p>Soldiers of Company 'Anna' of Battalion 'Gustaw' of Group 'Rg' at the corner of ul. Bracka and Widok. Form left to right: ppor. Jerzy Siwiec 'Jur', plut. Tadeusz Puacz ' Tadek', plut. Tadeus Gurbiel 'Gra', kpr. Andrzej Janowski 'Dab' (facing away), kpr. Jerzy Wilhelmi 'Wilk', kpr. Jerzy Janczewski 'Olsta', plut. pchor. Jerzy Sikorski 'Sixton', kpr. Tadeusz Olesiski 'Zotko' (in four cornered cap), ppor. Henryk Oarek 'Henio', strz. Zygmunt yczkowski 'czyc', por. Wojciech Sarnecki 'Wojtek' (facing away), kpr. Jerzy yczkowski 'an', kpr. Mieczysaw Karowicz 'Pilot', kpr. Aleksander Lipka 'Aleksander', kpr. Jerzy Majkowski 'Czarny', kpr. Stanisaw Wichrowski 'Ignac', ppor. Tadeusz Lawiski 'Ludwik', st.strz. Stanisaw Staczyk 'Szary', kpr. Mieczysaw Mester 'Miecio', ppor. Gabriel Rechowicz 'Rak', kpr. Ryszard Kopiski 'Ry', kpr. Janusz Siedlanowski 'Granat'.</p> <p>Soldiers of the 101st (Scout) and 116th platoons of the 2nd Company of Battalion 'Bartliewicz' fighting in Plac Malacowski. From left to right: st. strz. Stefan Matyjaskiewicz 'Stefak', kpr. Lotar Kozoeski 'Ilgierd', Edmund Malinowski 'Muniek'.</p> <p>20 August 1944, Soldiers of the unit 'Chwaty' on ul. Mokotowska at Plac Trzech Krzyy, in front of the Bureau of information and Propaganda Headquarters, fourth from the left is Zygmunt Ziek 'Sawa' (in the lght colored coat). In the background is koci w. Aleksandra (St. Alexander Church).</p> <p>24 August 1944, soldiers of the Company 'Grayna' of Battalion 'Harna' in the koci witego Krzya (Holy Cross Church). The first man from the left is kpr. pchor. Jerzy Wodarczyk 'Ghandi'.</p> <p>23 August 1944, soldiers of the Comapny 'Janusz' of Battalion 'Harna' in the courtyard of the Police Station after its capture. Plut. pchor. Adam Podkliski hold a PIAT anti-armor grenade launcher.</p> <p>23 August 1944, soldiers of the Comapny 'Janusz' of Battalion 'Harna' in the courtyard of the Police Station after its capture. Plut. pchor. Adam Podkliski hold a PIAT anti-armor grenade launcher.</p> <p>Soldiers of the 3rd Platoon of the assault Company of Battalion 'Kiliski' at the barricade at the intersection of ul. Krochmalna and ul. Gryzbowska. From left to right: Stanisaw Wielgo 'Karcz', Modest Abrataski 'Szatan', Zbigniew Szostkiewicz 'Bohun', Wojciech L. Strzyewski 'Jontek', Stefan Rek 'Granit', Wojciech Wyczaski 'Wojczan' Tadzeusz Zaucki 'Jzkw', strz. Zdzisaw Jarzcki 'Witold'.</p> <p>Soldiers of the 3rd Platoon of the assault Company of Battalion 'Kiliski' near the intersection of ul. Krochmalna and ul. Gryzbowska.</p> <p>Soldiers of Battalion 'Kiliski' at ul. Krochmalna 17, pictured are Tadeusz Grecki 'Pawe' and Zygmunt Tarczyski 'Marek'.</p> <p>Soldiers of the Battalion 'Miosz' in Plac Trzech Krzyy. From left to right: 'Wadek', 'Czekolada', Dewajtis', 'Jastrzb'. In the background can be seen kocioa w. Aleksandra (St. Alexander Church).</p> <p>Sd.Kfz. 251/1 Ausf. D captured by insurgents of Company 101 of Battalion 'Bocza' of Group 'Rg' in the gate to Plac Zamkowym in Stare Miasto. The vehicle was captured on 7 August 1944.</p> <p>Insurgent manning a 7.92 mm 'Browning' wz. 30 on ul. Bartoszewicz.</p> <p>2 August 1944, two insurgents armed with pistols at ul. Bracka 23. The nearest pistol is a Pistolet ViS wz. 35 and the other is a Walther P38.</p> <p>Insurgents crossing the street near ul. Bracka 20.</p> <p>9 August 1944, barricade on ul. Bracka.</p> <p>10 August 1944, soldiers of Platoon 569 of Battalion 'uka' in front of the headquarters at ul. Chmiela 57.</p> <p>17 August 1944, felled trees lying on the sidewalk of Plac Henryka Dbrowskiego. From the left: Goldstand house (corner of Plac Dbrowski 8 and ul. Kredytowa 9), Paac Szlenkiera ( Plac Dbrowski 6) and Plac Dbrowski 4.</p> <p>22 August 1944, bomb crater in Plac Henryka Dbrowskiego near ul. Kredytowa.</p> <p>View from ul. Moniuszki in the direction of ul. witokrzyska, on the right of the photo are the even numbered buildings.</p> <p>26 August 1944, ul. Strona between ul. Bracka and ul. Marszakowska.</p> <p>Observation of Aleje Jerozolimskie.</p> <p>24 August 1944, buildings opposite the koci witego Krzya (Holy Cross Church), a Sturmgeschtz III of an unknown unit sit knocked out on Krakowskie Przedmiecie.</p> <p>View of Paac Staszica from the koci witego Krzya (Holy Cross Church)</p> <p>View of the koci witego Krzya (Holy Cross Church) looking past the Copernicus monument from Paac Staszica.</p> <p>24 August 1944, view looking out of the koci witego Krzya (Holy Cross Church) past the fugure of Christ.</p> <p>Insurgents armed with a PIAT in the ruins of the house at ul. Krlewska 16, from left to right: Piotr Kurek 'Wesoy', Kazimierz Idkowski 'Kajus', Jan Baazy 'Czarny'.</p> <p>View down ul. Marszakowska, the first barricade is at ul. Sienna the second barricade is at ul. witokrzyska.</p> <p>Ul. Marszakowska, on the left is the Towarzystwo Ubezpiecze 'Rosja' (Insurance Building 'Russia'), just past it is the intersection with ul. Sienkiewicza.</p> <p>Insurgents at a gate on ul. Marszakowska, one of them is armed with a machine pistol 'Byskawica'.</p> <p>Barricade on ul. Szpitalna, in the background is the Prudential building.</p> <p>6 August 1944, barricade separating ul. Szpitalna and Plac Napleona, the immoblized Jagdpanzer 38(t) 'Chwat' which was captured 2 August 1944 makes up part of the barricade.</p> <p>6 August 1944, barricade separating ul. Szpitalna and Plac Napleona, the immoblized Jagdpanzer 38(t) 'Chwat' which was captured 2 August 1944 makes up part of the barricade.</p> <p>6 August 1944, barricade separating ul. Szpitalna and Plac Napleona, the immoblized Jagdpanzer 38(t) 'Chwat' which was captured 2 August 1944 makes up part of the barricade.</p> <p>6 August 1944, barricade separating ul. Szpitalna and Plac Napleona, the immoblized Jagdpanzer 38(t) 'Chwat' which was captured 2 August 1944 makes up part of the barricade.</p> <p>1 September 1944, insurgents from Stare Miasto exit the sewers on ul. Warecka after a journey of several hours.</p> <p>1 September 1944, three soldiers that have escaped from Stare Miasto through the sewers and exited at ul. Warecka.</p> <p>Koci witego Krzya (Holy Cross Church) burning.</p> <p>View of the Fire Hall.</p> <p>Insurgents fighting from the PAST-a building.</p> <p>Insurgents entering the PAST-a (Polska Akcyjna Spka Telefoniczna) building.</p> <p>On ul. Zielna water is fired onto the burning PAST-a (Polska Akcyjna Spka Telefoniczna) building.</p> <p>The burning PAST-a (Polska Akcyjna Spka Telefoniczna) building viewed from ul. Zielna.</p> <p>Insurgent with a flamethrower during the fight for the PAST-a building.</p> <p>The barricade in front of the Main Post Office building shortly after its capture by insurgents.</p> <p>Insurgents in firing positions near the Prudential building.</p> <p>Officers of the Group 'Pnoc' near the Palladium cinema in rdmieciu. From left to right: kpt. Lucjan Fajer 'Ognisty', mjr. Wodzimierz Kozakiewicz 'Barry', czniczka Irena Kwiatkowska 'Basia', Commander of Group 'Pnoc' pk. Karlo Ziemski 'Wachnowski', por. Eugeniusz Ihnatowicz-Suczyski 'Eugeniusz', kpt. Alfred Pokultinis 'Fon'.</p> <p>Insurgents in firing positions, unknown street.</p> <p>Scouts from Platoon 438 which formed part of the three Companies of Battalion 'Chrobry II' firing into the area of ul. Towarowa and ul. elazna.</p> <p>29 August 1944, a group of insurgents at the headquarters on ul. Widok.</p> <p>About 3 August 1944, insurgents at the building at ul. Bracka 20.</p> <p>Father and son on ul. Warecka, behind them can be seen the main post office, and the Goldstanda building at the corner of Plac Napoleona 3 and ul. Sienkiewicz.</p> <p>Insurgents after escaping from Stare Miasto through the sewers and exiting on ul. Warecka.</p> <p>20 August 1944, Insurgents at the building where German prisoners are being held at the corner of ul. Marszakowska 136 and witokrzyska 44.</p> <p>Barricaed on ul. Szpitalna near ul. Chimielna.</p> <p>Insurgent man a barricade, unknown place.</p> <p>22 August 1944, barricade on ul. Szpitalna.</p> <p>Barricade at the interesction of Nowy wiat and ul. Pierackiego, on the corner is the Branicki house at Nowy wiat 32 and Pierackiego 18.</p> <p>Barricade at the intersection of ul. elazna and ul. Sienna, from left to right are the tenements elazna 34 and the corner of elazna 32 and Sienna 78.</p> <p>Barricade on ul. Duga, from left to right are the Forsetier building (Duga 27) and the Hotel Polski (Duga 29).</p> <p>Barricade on ul. Sapieyska and ul. Bonifraterska, on the right is the Hospital Jana Boego.</p> <p>Barricade on ul. witokrzyska between ul. Jasna and ul. Mazowiecka. The view is towards ul. Mazowiecka, from the left visible buildings are: witokrzyska 30, witokrzysk...</p>