warm-up a semicolon joins together two independent clauses. which sentence uses a semicolon...
Post on 29-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
Warm-Up• A semicolon joins together two independent clauses.
• Which sentence uses a semicolon correctly?
A. Liam Neesan needs the Albanian translated; when he arrives in Paris.
B. I have watched two Liam Neesan movies this weekend; he is awesome.
C. The girls should have told their parents where they were really going; or stayed home.
D. Before this movie; the actress was on Lost.
Sentence Types: Take notes!
• One independent clause
Ex: I had never felt so utterly on my own.
• Two or more independent clauses
• Ex: Mrs. Everhard, my new homeroom teacher, made an introduction of sorts, and every student turned around to study me.
• One independent and at least one dependent clause
• I was neither blessed nor cursed, depending on how you looked at it, with skin milky enough to classify me as white or swarthy enough to render me black.
• Two or more independent clauses and at least one dependent clause
• When Harry doesn’t get enough sleep, he gets cranky, and then he’s not very nice.
Write an example of each sentence type.
2.7 Author’s Stylebook:
Syntactical VarietyLanguage and Writer’s Craft
Varying Sentence BeginningsSentence Beginning Example Your turn!
Beginning with a word Stunned, Gretchen burst into tears.
Beginning with a phrase Unable to believe her eyes, Gretchen burst into tears.
Beginning with a clause Because she was not expecting a surprise party, Gretchen burst into tears.
Unit One Exam Part TwoLook over what you missed.
Embedded Assessment 2
Write an Argument
Unpack Embedded Assessment Two
• Read the assignment. Read the rubric.
•Make a poster, detailing the requirements of Embedded Assessment #2.
• Brainstorm issues around the perimeter of your poster.
• Your poster should be creative. Each person needs to participate.
Gallery WalkWhat are some issues that you could write an