Using Social Networks As Part Of Your Job Search
Post on 22-Jan-2015
DESCRIPTIONShelli Gutholm (Recruitment Manager, Aquent) presents on how to best use social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Presented July 28, 2009 at "How to Conduct a Highly Effective Job Search: Strategies for Managing Your Next Career Move in Sales and Marketing" at Hotel Baronette, Novi, Michigan
2. 3. Discuss Social Media Share SocialNetwork Micro Blog Publish 4.
- Brand your Profile
- Custom URL:Your LinkedIn URL should appear ashttp:// linkedin .com/in/ yourfullname .
- Headline:Your headline will automatically be displayed as the last job youve had, unless you change it manually.
- Summary:Your summary should include a brief paragraph summarizing your work experience
- Experience: Dont just list the past few jobs youve had
- Keywords: You should flood your entire LinkedIn profile with keywords because recruiters and other individuals will be using LinkedIn as a talent search engine
- Recommendations:The truth is they are very significant because when a recruiter searches for talent, they will view and identify profiles that have the thumbs up graphic next to them.
- Develop your Network
- Import your contacts:LinkedIn allows you to important contacts from email
- Be open and available:Be available and open to accepting contact requests and continuing conversations,.
- Leave your email address :People cannot add you to their network without your email address,
- Promote your URL:Take your distinct URL public
- Update your status:Make sure that your LinkedIn status message is extremely professional
- Position yourself as a Leader
- Start a Group
- Start an Event
- Ask and answer questions
- Leverage LinkedIn as part of your Unified Brand Strategy
- Link up:post urls to your other networks
- Five Steps for New User
- 1. Find People You Already Know
- Find Friends on Other Networks tool: allows Twitter to scan their AOL, Yahoo!, or Gmail (Gmail) address books (When you follow those friends, theyll get an alert message saying that youve followed them.)
- Third party Twitter people search engines like Tweepz,
- Twitter Facebook app and see if any of your friends on Facebook (Facebook) are also on Twitter.
- 2. Find Like-minded Users
- Twitters own built-in search engine (search is real-time, youll only ever find the users who were most recently talking about a specific subject, not necessarily those who talk about it regularly)
- Saved keyword searches
- Twitter directories Twellow (Twellow) and WeFollow (WeFollow) organize Twitter users based on topic,
- Third Party:lTwubble and Twitterel
- 3. Find People in the Area
- Twitter search. By using the advanced search options, you can limit results to only those tweets originating from nearby to a specific location.
- Third party apps, such as TwellowHood and Localtweep
- Get a Desktop (or Mobile) Client
- Upgrade from the Twitter.com web interface.
- Desktop clients are software built specifically to utilize Twitter.
- Tweetdeck (TweetDeck)
- Tweetie, Twitter for iphone
- Seesmic (Seesmic)
- 5. Learn the Ropes
- Know the jargon: (#hashtags, @replies, retweets, direct messages, etc) and use them
- Tips For Using Facebook for Professional Networking
- Make a decision whether to keep Facebook social or expand your use.
- Take a close look at your Profile and decide what you want business contacts or prospective employers to see - and what you don't.
- Create a simple profile (or clean up with your existing one) with minimal graphics and widgets.
- Limit the photos you post.
- Post content relevant to your job search or career.
- Use Facebook email to build relationships with your Friends.
- Choose your Friends wisely. Remember your Friends can see information about your other Friends in your Profile.
- Keep it Professional
- Keep it up-to-date
- Keep it free of errors
11. 12. Additional Resources Social Media to find work: http://www. chrisbrogan .com/free- ebook -using-the-social-web-to-find-work/ http:// mashable .com/2009/01/05/job-search-secrets/ http://blogs. zdnet .com/feeds/?p=374 http://blogs. aquent .com/ aquentblog /2009/06/do_you_pass_the_social_media_recruitment_test.html http://blog. guykawasaki .com/2009/02/10-ways-to-use.html Other Links: http://www. aquent .com http://www. execsearchpartners .com http://www. chrisbrogan .com http:// mashable .com/ http://www.indeed.com http://www. linkedin .com/jobs Follow/Find me: [email_address] http:// aquent .us/go/ ShelliGutholm http://www. facebook .com/ shelli . gutholm http://twitter.com/shelligutholm http://www. linkedin .com/in/shelligutholm