U.S. History Midterm Review Sheet Part 2 - Mentor High Review, Par · U.S. History Midterm Review Sheet…
Post on 04-Jun-2018
Embed Size (px)
Record your answers neatly and in order on another sheet!
U.S. History Midterm
Review Sheet Part 2
51. Describe factory-working conditions in the late 1800s.
52. Describe how unions tried to change these conditions.
53. What was the impact of the large wave of immigration of
Southern and Eastern Europeans on the United States?
54. Describe the problems in cities in the late 1800s.
55. Give examples of the limitations placed on African
Americans under the Jim Crow laws.
56. According to Booker T. Washington, equal rights would
result from . . .
57. According to DuBois, in what ways did Washingtons
philosophy accommodate the wishes of whites in society?
58. Define segregation.
There will be a short reading and questions on the suffragist
59. Why did industrial growth in the late 1800s help increase American imperialism?
There will be a reading and questions on the annexation of
60. What actions were taken in the anti-German movement of
World War I?
61. What factors helped to push the US into World War I? 62. What was the impact of the Espionage and Sedition
63. How did World War I influence the suffragist movement?
64. Explain the main provisions of the Treaty of Versailles.
Describe which provisions (parts) most angered Germany.
Chapter 9 section 4; Chapter 10
65. Following World War I, there was an increase in violence
and discrimination against immigrants. After the war,
whites also began to fear the Great Migration. What was
the primary cause of this racial tension?
66. Describe a nativists opinion of the immigration quota system enacted in the US in 1921. - p. 412, 415, & 417
67. What did the Sacco and Vanzetti trials demonstrate about
America in the 1920s?
68. What was the impact of the affordable automobile on the
American society in the 1920s?
69. What was prohibition? Why was it difficult to enforce?
70. What was the Great Migration?
Chapter 10 71. What was the significance of the Scopes trial in the
72. What was the Harlem Renaissance?
73. Despite the popularity of black culture in the Harlem
Renaissance, how did whites treat blacks in the 1920s?
74. What new forms of entertainment helped to shape a mass culture
in the United States?
75. Explain how Americans developed a new culture in the 1920s.
Cite examples of the new American culture.
76. Define speculation.
77. Who was A. Mitchell Palmer? What did he fear happening to
America in the 1920s?
78. What were the causes of the Great Depression?
79. What was Herbert Hoovers response to the Great
Depression? How effective was he?
80. How did the Great Depression affect the role of
government in the economy?
81. What is buying stock on margin?
82. What are the three goals of the New Deal?
83. Which New Deal programs have had a long-lasting
impact on American economy? Look up what these
programs are, tell what problem each was designed to
solve, how each would attempt to solve the problem, and
why theyre important today in order to answer this
question: A. The Social Security Act
B. The Glass-Steagal Act and the FDIC
C. Federal Securities Act and the SEC
D. The FDC
E. The FHA
F. The NLRB
G. The CCC
H. The TVA
I. The WPA
84. What was the overall unemployment rate during the Depression?
85. Describe were the causes (p. 474) and the impact of the Dust
Bowl? There will be a reading over FDRs role in recovering from the Great
Explain the main provisions of the Treaty of Versailles.
Describe which provisions most angered Germany.
Explain how Americans developed a new culture in the
1920s. Be able to cite examples of the new American
Describe were the causes and the impact of the Dust Bowl