Ulster Folklife: No. 4

Download Ulster Folklife: No. 4

Post on 24-Jan-2017

222 views

Category:

Documents

5 download

Embed Size (px)

TRANSCRIPT

<ul><li><p>County Louth Archaeological and History Society</p><p>Ulster Folklife: No. 4Review by: J. P.Journal of the County Louth Archaeological Society, Vol. 14, No. 2 (1958), pp. 121-122Published by: County Louth Archaeological and History SocietyStable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/27728960 .Accessed: 14/06/2014 10:59</p><p>Your use of the JSTOR archive indicates your acceptance of the Terms &amp; Conditions of Use, available at .http://www.jstor.org/page/info/about/policies/terms.jsp</p><p> .JSTOR is a not-for-profit service that helps scholars, researchers, and students discover, use, and build upon a wide range ofcontent in a trusted digital archive. We use information technology and tools to increase productivity and facilitate new formsof scholarship. For more information about JSTOR, please contact support@jstor.org.</p><p> .</p><p>County Louth Archaeological and History Society is collaborating with JSTOR to digitize, preserve and extendaccess to Journal of the County Louth Archaeological Society.</p><p>http://www.jstor.org </p><p>This content downloaded from 195.78.109.12 on Sat, 14 Jun 2014 10:59:13 AMAll use subject to JSTOR Terms and Conditions</p><p>http://www.jstor.org/action/showPublisher?publisherCode=clahshttp://www.jstor.org/stable/27728960?origin=JSTOR-pdfhttp://www.jstor.org/page/info/about/policies/terms.jsphttp://www.jstor.org/page/info/about/policies/terms.jsp</p></li><li><p>REVIEWS 121 </p><p>THE JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES OF IRELAND, 1957 </p><p>Vol. LXXXVII, Part II </p><p>In this issue Fr. Canice Mooney concludes his most interesting comprehensive study of " Franciscan Architecture in Pre-Reformation Ireland." George Eogan describes the discovery </p><p>of a hoard of gold objects, consisting of three penannular bracelets and a sunflower pin, at Drissoge, Co. Meath, in March, 1953, in a twenty-acre arable field about three miles east of Athboy, and </p><p>concludes that they belong to the second phase of the Irish Late Bronze Age, roughly 400-200 B.C. </p><p>J. G. Simms encloses some letters of Dominic Sarsfield, alias the fourth Lord Kilmallock, to his </p><p>wife, Frances, which, apart from their historical interest, have considerable charm and present an attractive picture of an affectionate husband anxious for the safety of his wife in troubled times. </p><p>In a well-illustrated contribution, Mrs. H. G. Leask records some interesting examples of old </p><p>English, Chinese and French wall-papers to be found in some of the stately homes of Ireland. </p><p>In another illustrated contribution, this time from the pen of Fran?oise Henry, there is an account </p><p>of a small manuscript of sixty-six folios which was bought by the British Museum in 1922 and </p><p>which is a copy of the four Gospels written in Irish miniscule of the eighth-ninth centuries. </p><p>Finally, in the section entitled " </p><p>Miscellanea " </p><p>there are notes on a cross-slab at Castlekieran, three miles from Kells, Co. Meath; a razor-fish spear from Co. Donegal; and an object made from </p><p>giant deer antler, which was found on the shores of Lake Inchiquin, Co. Clare. </p><p>j.p. </p><p>THE JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES OF IRELAND, 1958 </p><p>Vol. LXXXVIII, Part I </p><p>In this issue Michael J. O'Kelly gives a minute description of a wedge-shaped gallery-grave at Island, in the parish of Rahan, barony of Fermoy, Co. Cork, which he dates at about 1700 B.C. </p><p>Michael Quane gives an account of the life and times of Roger Boyle, known also as Lord Orrery, </p><p>who founded and endowed a school at Charleville " </p><p>for the education of the young gentry of this </p><p>province." He traces the history of education in the town, from the time Boyle's irritation at the </p><p>insolence of the Popish clergy in setting up Jesuit schools was aroused till 1893 when, under the </p><p>provisions of the Educational Endowments (Ireland) Act, a scheme was framed for the distribution </p><p>of the annual income from the Charleville Endowment, whereby the schools " </p><p>for the promotion of Intermediate Education in the Charleville District," now sharing in the Endowment, are the </p><p>Christian Brothers' Secondary School for Boys and the Convent of Mercy Secondary School for </p><p>Girls. G. F. Mitchell's article on " </p><p>Radio-carbon Dates and Pollen-zones in Ireland " </p><p>shows that </p><p>in accurately dating organic materials, even to the very year, by their content of radio-active </p><p>form of carbon, radio-carbon or C14, the most modern advances in science are supremely important to the archaeologist and antiquarian. Indeed, as we learn from David Liversage, a pollen-analytical </p><p>study was made of " </p><p>An Island Site at Lough Gur " </p><p>(the main feature of which is a structure </p><p>known as Desmond's Castle) an excavation of which was conducted in 1956 by himself and </p><p>G. F. Mitchell. The excavation is well described in this issue. Arthur E. J. Went's article on " The Salmon Fishery of Carrick-a-Rede and Larry Bane, Co. Antrim "describes how one of the </p><p>greatest tourist attractions of the north coast of Ireland provides a good illustration of the </p><p>ingenuity displayed by man in his searches for food. Lastly, L. Price has a note on the distribution </p><p>of place-names in Ireland, beginning with " </p><p>Dun-", " </p><p>Lis-", " </p><p>Rath," as found in the Townland </p><p>Index. </p><p>j.p. </p><p>ULSTER FOLKLIFE </p><p>No. 4, 1958 </p><p>The Secretary, Mr. G. B. Newe, records another year of progress in the task of collecting and </p><p>recording the heritage of information regarding skills and crafts, tools and buildings, traditions, </p><p>songs and imaginative tales which would otherwise be lost. It is disappointing to see that the </p><p>Committee on Ulster Folklife and Traditions restrict their activities to merely six of the Ulster </p><p>This content downloaded from 195.78.109.12 on Sat, 14 Jun 2014 10:59:13 AMAll use subject to JSTOR Terms and Conditions</p><p>http://www.jstor.org/page/info/about/policies/terms.jsp</p></li><li><p>122 COUNTY LOUTH ARCHAEOLOGICAL JOURNAL </p><p>counties and exclude an area of over two thousand square miles, with a population of upwards of a quarter of a million. This political exclusion of an extensive store-house of folklore and folklife </p><p>makes the title misleading, and is an absurdity to anyone who knows from history hew far Ulster extends. </p><p>" The Ulster Landscape," by Professor E. Estyn Evans, M.A., D.Sc, is a review of a work </p><p>by a Breton scholar, Dr. Pierre Flatr?s, entitled " </p><p>Geographie Rurale de quatre Contr?es Celtiques: Irlande, Galles, Cornwall, Man," p. 618, Rennes, 1957, in which the author brings to his subject not only a training in human geography in the French tradition, but also close familiarity with the Celtic languages, and the history and customs of Celtic lands. In his contribution, Dr. Albert Sandklef of Varbergs Museum, Sweden, studies </p><p>" the Combination of Farming and Seafaring </p><p>" </p><p>with particular reference to Sweden, and from his Irish contacts he feels that there is very valuable material for comparison in East Ulster. Dr. Desmond McCourt of Magee University College, Derry, deals with two townlands that retain pre-enclosure landscapes, and in each he considers the different facets of open field work and life within a specified environment. Two articles, one </p><p>by Caoimhin O Danachair, M.A., on " </p><p>Bread " </p><p>and the other by G. B. Thompson on " </p><p>The Black Smith's Craft," shows us that a study of the intricate skills and crafts of farming, and of local hand industries can lead to a new sense of values, and can have an influence on the rehabilitation of the countryside in a period when standardization and mechanization are ruthlessly transforming rural life and culture. In </p><p>" Extracts from the Committee's Collection </p><p>" Mrs. K. M. Harris, M.Sc, </p><p>mentions some old unrecorded stories, bits of local history, traditions, superstitions, recipes for old-time cures, nonsense rhymes and couplets. G. B. Adams has an interesting article on </p><p>" Ulster </p><p>as a District Dialect Area "?both of the English and Irish languages. Since Gaelic is the living language of many thousands of people in Ulster, it is surprising that the issue does not contain a story in the Irish language on the lines of Michael J. Murphy's </p><p>" Old Lord Erin's Son </p><p>" which, </p><p>though humorous, loses much of its flavour by being told in English. In " </p><p>A Century of Life in </p><p>County Down " </p><p>Brendan Mac Aodha shows us how old documents, old wills, letters, etc., can make the past re-live in a manner unsuspected by those who composed such documents, etc. </p><p>The " </p><p>Notes " </p><p>section provides an outlet for people who wish to elucidate or write notes on </p><p>what may have interested them in previous issues. </p><p>The story of kings and battles is in the history books, but the story of the people is all around </p><p>us, and the more that story is told, and the more we listen to it and ponder over it, the nearer we </p><p>approach the mentality expressed in the words of Thomas Davis: " </p><p>Gentlemen, you have a </p><p>country." </p><p>jp. </p><p>SOURCES OF IRISH LOCAL HISTORY </p><p>By Thomas P. O'Neill, M.A., F.L.A.I. </p><p>First Series. Published by the Library Association of Ireland, 46 Grafton Street, Dublin </p><p>!958. 38 pages. Price 3s. 6d. </p><p>Mr. O'Neill is Assistant Keeper of Printed Books in the National Library of Ireland, and from time to time he wrote notes for An Leabharlann, which were meant to help librarians throughout Ireland in advising local historians. The interest displayed in those notes induced the Library </p><p>Association to make them available in a collected form. For the local historian the booklet is invaluable. In a foreword the author tells us that it does not aim to tell how to write a local </p><p>history, but rather that its purpose is to draw attention to the sources which may be of use to the historian who takes a limited field, be it parish, barony, county or diocese. In mentioning his sources he points out those which are most valuable, those which are secondary sources and those whose value is very limited. Everyone interested in local history, and who wants a safe </p><p>guide or bibliographical aid, will want to possess this booklet and will anxiously await a further series of articles, promised by the author, dealing with the same subject. </p><p>jp </p><p>This content downloaded from 195.78.109.12 on Sat, 14 Jun 2014 10:59:13 AMAll use subject to JSTOR Terms and Conditions</p><p>http://www.jstor.org/page/info/about/policies/terms.jsp</p><p>Article Contentsp. 121p. 122</p><p>Issue Table of ContentsJournal of the County Louth Archaeological Society, Vol. 14, No. 2 (1958), pp. 55-135Front MatterTaaffe of County Louth [pp. 55-67]The Legend of Gearid Iarla of Hacklim [pp. 68-81]The Moyry Pass [pp. 82-90]Urn Burial at Collon, County Louth [pp. 91-92]Souterrain in the Grounds of Lisrenny House [pp. 93-95]Two Souterrains at Bawntaaffe, near Monasterboice, County Louth [pp. 96-102]The 1766 Religious Census for Some County Louth Parishes [pp. 103-117]Wooden Water-Pipes [pp. 117-117]ReviewsReview: untitled [p. 118-118]Review: untitled [pp. 118-119]</p><p>Old Bridge in Dundalk DemensneReviewsReview: untitled [pp. 119-120]Review: untitled [p. 120-120]Review: untitled [p. 120-120]Review: untitled [p. 121-121]Review: untitled [p. 121-121]Review: untitled [pp. 121-122]Review: untitled [p. 122-122]Review: untitled [p. 123-123]</p><p>Annual Report, 1958 [pp. 124-126, 130]Annual Report, 1959 [pp. 127-129, 131]Ardee Sub-Committee [p. 129-129]Back Matter</p></li></ul>