out of 31
Post on 07-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONA diagram- and framework-free Twitter presentation about using Twitter for yourself - not your business.
- 1. Twitter. WTF? A lo-fi, hands-on show-and-tell about Oprahs new favourite thing (this time its personal) www.markpollard.net www.twitter.com/markpollard
- 2. For some reason, you are here (a cocktail of peer pressure, fear and curiosity?)
- 3. And maybe youre thinking...
- Isnt Twitter for egomaniacs?
- I seriously do not need new friends!
- Isnt it just Facebook but with less stuff?
- No one will find me interesting.
- Does Oprah really do her own tweetage?
- FFS what am I doing here now?
- Shut up about Twitter already!
- 4. You arent alone
- 5. Caviar-ts Perspective (not rules) Passion (not evangelism) Help (not selling)
- 6. My story starts with failure (followed by an 18-month break)
- 7. Then I worked out who to blame (Twitter)
- 8. I'm Tweeting abt thinking abt what to Tweet abt. Or is 'Twitter' a verb too? Because, if it is, then I'm Twittering abt what to Twitter abt! What are you doing?
- 9. Then, in August 2008, I changed my steez and got back into it
- 10. 1. I committed (I decided to deep dive and go along for the ride)
- 11. 2. I grew purpose (to be useful)
- 12. 3. I went real (real name, photo)
- 13. 4. I told people what I was about (profile bio)
- 14. 5. I followed friends of friends (and interesting people)
- 15. 6. I followed a few mega egos (then un-followed them)
- 16. 7. I shared and listened (and waited, and refreshed)
- 17. 8. I measured (what was of interest, when using Poprl and BudURL )
- 18. 8 early lessons
- It takes effort
- There is a lot of recycling
- It can be addictive
- Anxiety feeds the beast
- One-dimension-itis isnt cool
- Twitter thrives on appreciation
- Rejection happens
- 19. Lifestyle change 8. (the big one)
- 20. The 2 best things about Twitter
- Meeting people and information exchange
- 21. A plain English explanation
- 22. 5 tools I use most Web To tweet, find people to follow, see whos following Twitter search To find deals, product recommns, like-minded people Tweetdeck To watch the stream, manage the noise and tweet Hootsuite To manage multiple accounts and set up tweets to send later Tiny Twitter To tweet from my phone
- 23. RT @username RT = re-tweet This is akin to an email forward but you give public props to the person who helped you find it
- 24. #hashtag A way to publicly file your tweets
- 25. #followfriday A weekly prop-a-thon where you tell people whos worth following
- 26. watching streams and backchannels Watching what people are tweeting live via websites like Monitter and Twitterfall #hashtags may help organise discussion at events, about TV shows or issues
- 27. stalkernomics The business practice of online eaves-dropping and door-knocking IE If you mention a brand, dont be surprised if they start following you... and maybe even trying to contact you directly
- 28. URL shorteners http://bit.ly/xjgPu How you can take a really long URL and prevent it from using up your glorious 140 characters
- 29. fakes, spammers, bots and egos on auto-pilot People who follow you and just have tweets with links to their websites People who are following tonnes of people but dont have many updates People who pay other people to tweet for them
- 30. Advice you didnt ask for
- Find a purpose without being one-dimensional
- Commit to giving it a go frequently
- Find interesting people to interact with and interact
- Balance sharing with responding create if you can
- Tune into the stream dont obsess about missing stuff
- Promote your Twitter thing
- Network off Twitter and offline
- 31. For some reason, you are still here (and I thank you for it) www.markpollard.net www.twitter.com/markpollard If you enjoyed the read, share it with someone in need
View more >