tuesday, august 21, 2012
Post on 21-Mar-2016
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTION*Shell spent N59.3bn on police, security –Report *Kuramo evictees blame surge on Eko Atlantic City *Police arrest fl eeing terrorism kingpin in Kano *S’West legislators plan regional integration law *Ex-IG blames IBB, military for destroying police *FG allays fears over Nigeria’s $5bn external debt
Vol. 1 N0. 115 Tuesday, June 7, 2011 N150 Vol. 2 N0. 430 Tuesday, August 21, 2012 N150
CONTINUED ON PAGE 5>>
Kuramo evictees blame surge on Eko Atlantic CityPolice arrest fl eeing terrorism kingpin in Kano
For advert bookings and information, please contact
01-8446073, 08094331171, 08023133084, 08034019884
ABUJA: 08033020395, 08036321014
CONTINUED ON PAGE 2>>
Six more bodies recovered
AYO OLESIN WITH AGENCY REPORTS
Anglo-Dutch oil firm, Shell, paid Nigerian police of-ficers and other security agents $383m (N59.3bn) to guard its installations in three years, according to a report by an oil industry watchdog.
Citing leaked company documents, London-based Platform said Shell spent a total of $383m on security in Nigeria between 2007 and 2009, when a rebel in-surgency in the oil-rich Del-ta region was at its peak, The Guardian of London, reported yesterday
Those funds partly paid
FG allays fears over Nigerias $5bn external debt
Protecting people, assets, our priority, says oil fi rm
Shell spent N59.3bn on police, security Report
Children having fun at the National Theatre during the Eid-el-fitri celebration in Lagos, yesterday. PHOTO: OLUFEMI AJASA
Ex-IG blames IBB, military for destroying police
SWest legislators plan regional integration law
Former Inspector-General of Police, Alhaji Muhammadu Gambo Jimeta, has con-demned the recent agita-tion for the establishment of a state police, taking a swipe at its proponents, especially his former boss
and ex-military president, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida.
He also accused the mili-tary of laying the founda-tion for the destruction of
Shell spent N59.3bn on police, security Report CONTINUED FROM PAGE 1
Kuramo evictees blame surge on Eko Atlantic City
Policemen at the entrance of Kuramo Beach in Lagos, yesterday. PHOTO: YINKA ADEPARUSI
DAYO AYEYEMI AND MURITALA AYINLA
Evicted owners of demolished struc-tures at Kuramo Beach in Lagos have blamed Saturdays surge on the coastline on the multi-billion naira Eko Atlantic City project.
This is coming just as six more dead bodies were yes-terday recovered at the beach where about 16 persons were swept away into the Atlantic Ocean last Saturday.
This brings to 10 the number of bodies so far recovered by rescue opera-tion agencies and local div-ers, while the search for others continues.
The evicted residents said they had not experi-enced ocean surge before the commencement of the project in 2009, stress-ing that the frequent tidal waves had now been taking tolls on tourism activities at the beach.
Speaking with National Mirror, one of the owners of the demolished structures,
who identified himself as Mr. Fred Okulama, said the woes of the residents began in 2009, with the commence-ment of land reclamation in the area.
He said: For me, the cause of this ocean surge came from the Lagos State government.
Since 2009, when the state government com-menced the construction of the Eko Atlantic City, the surge has begun to in-crease. And this year, the work got to Kuramo Beach. That was why it affected
our structures.The ocean surge hap-
pens yearly, especially from August to November, when the ocean current is expect-ed to increase, and it hap-pened this year.
And because of the ongoing work at the Eko Atlantic City, the ocean current had nowhere to flow and instead flowed to the shore to demolish our structures.
Although, the Lagos State Emergency Manage-ment Authority, LASEMA, could not immediately con-
firm the recovery of the six bodies, evicted residents and local divers told Na-tional Mirror that the bod-ies were swept ashore by high tidal waves.
National Mirror learnt that five of the bodies were recovered in the early hours of the day floating around the ocean shoreline, while another one was re-covered about 1:30p.m. by the State Environmental Health Management Unit, SEHMU.
The corpses have been deposited at the state mor-tuary.
The Lagos State Police Command spokesperson, Ngozi Braide, confirmed the recovery of the six bodies, adding that the remaining five were still being expected.
She gave the names of the six victims as Joseph Oke, Olorunwa Babatunde, Daniel Ajose and Alhaji Ba-batunde Benson, popularly known as KC.
The other two, whose surnames were not known, are Olumide and Mary.
The state government had completed the demoli-tion of illegal structures at the beach on Sunday, ow-ing to loss of lives resulting from the surge that swept residents of shanties erect-ed at the beach.
National Mirror gath-ered that the search parties and the rescue team were still searching to recover more bodies yesterday.
Some evicted residents also lamented that the inci-dent had affected patronage at the nearby Bar Beach as fun seekers stayed away despite the ongoing Eid-el-fitri holiday.
The state Commissioner for Waterfront, Prince Ad-esegun Oniru, said the state government would find a lasting solution to the surge as it did on Bar Beach some years back.
He said: What we need here is permanent solution to the problem like we did on the Bar Beach. That is why you see the whole of Ahmadu Bello Way is not flooded.
This problem is not a Lagos problem, it is a na-tional problem. The Federal Government should come to the aid of the state gov-ernment. Huge amount of money is required to put permanent solution and the state government alone cannot finance this.
Meanwhile, another resi-dent of the beachfront, Ab-bey Edwards, said it would be difficult to forget the pains of losing five of his good
CONTINUED ON PAGE 5>>
CONTINUED ON PAGE 5>>
for the Anglo-Dutch com-panys own 1,200-member force as well as the protec-tion provided by some 1,300 government forces that guarded Shells facilities, Platform said.
An estimated $127m (N19.6bn) was spent on un-explained category marked other, the documents said.
According to the data, the worlds largest compa-ny by revenue spent nearly $1bn on worldwide security between 2007 and 2009.
According to The Guard-ian, if it were a country, Shell would have the third highest security budget in Africa, after South Africa and Nigeria itself.
The documents showed that nearly 40 per cent of Shells total security expen-diture over the three year period $383m was spent on protecting its staff and installations in Nigerias volatile Niger Delta region. In 2009, $65m (N10.07bn)
was spent on Nigerian gov-ernment forces and $75m (N11.6bn) on other secu-rity costs believed to be a mixture of private security firms and payments to indi-viduals.
Activists expressed con-cern that the escalating cost of Shells security op-eration in the Niger Delta was further destabilising the oil rich region and help-ing to fuel rampant corrup-tion and criminality. The scale of Shells global secu-rity expenditure is colos-sal, said Ben Amunwa of London-based oil watchdog Platform. It is staggering that Shell transferred $65m of company funds and re-sources into the hands of soldiers and police known for routine human rights abuses.
The financial docu-ments, passed to Platform, suggest Shells worldwide security costs almost dou-bled between 2007 and 2009, coinciding with the rise of armed insurgency in the
Niger Delta.In 2008, 62 Shell employ-
ees or contractors were kidnapped and three killed, many Shell-operated pipe-lines, well heads and off-shore oil platforms were attacked and the company was forced to halt oil ex-ports for several weeks after attacks by groups in-cluding the Movement for the emancipation of the Ni-ger Delta.
Nearly a third of Shells global security budget in 2008, or $99m, was spent on third parties. This was double what the company spent on its own security staff and is believed to in-clude the services of 600 Nigerian government po-lice and 700 members of the controversial state joint task force (JTF) comprised of Army, Navy and Police.
Shell denies having any direct control over JTF forces, amid numerous ac-cusations of human rights abuses, including a large-scale military attack in 2009
which the US state depart-ment said led to the dis-placement and loss of liveli-hood of tens of thousands of residents.
But in the past, Shell has supplied government forc-es with gunboats, helicop-ters, vehicles and satellite phones to better patrol the myriad creeks and water-ways of the Delta.
This proves what we in the Niger Delta have known for years that the air force, the army, the police, they are paid for with Shell mon-ey and they are all at the disposal of the company for it to use it any how it likes, said Celestine Nkabari of the Niger Delta campaign group, Social Action.
According to Platform, a significant amount of Shell funding is channelled via senior military officials which provides ample op-portunities for corruption.
US cables, released by WikiLeaks in 2010, alleged that the company paid hundreds of thousands of
pounds towards the deploy-ment of 350 soldiers in the Delta in 2003.
But Shell International said that any allegation of corruption should be ad-dressed to the Nigerian au-thorities, and that its spend-ing is necessary to protect its staff and operations.
Although armed insur-gency in the oil producing regions of the Delta has de-clined since a 2009 amnesty, the company says it faces widesp