troops and vets can still file for stop loss pay

Upload: zim-vicom

Post on 07-Apr-2018




0 download

Embed Size (px)


  • 8/4/2019 Troops and Vets Can Still File for Stop Loss Pay


    Troops and Vets can still File for Stop Loss Pay

    Last week the Department of Defense released a statement reminding Service members andVeterans that the deadline for Retroactive Stop Loss Payments(RSLP) is fast approaching. Thisis not an automatic entitlement, benefit or allowance. Eligible Service members and Veteransmust file a claim by October 21, 2011 to receive this benefit.

    The 2009 War Supplemental Appropriations Act authorizes Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay of$500 per month for each month or any portion of a month during the period specified that thecurrent or former Soldier, Marine, Sailor, and Airman was retained on active duty as a result ofof Stop Loss. The act applies to service members Stop Lossed during the period starting 11September 2001 and ending 30 September 2009.

    Last year, Congress and Defense Department Officials pushed back the filing deadline to October21, 2011. Barring Congressional action, this appears to be the final deadline Service membersand Veterans can apply for RSLP payments of $500 per month they were Stop-Lossed.

    Chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen stated, The application process issimple and straightforward. No strings attached. But once the deadline passes, we cannot by lawextend itIts your money.
  • 8/4/2019 Troops and Vets Can Still File for Stop Loss Pay


    Eligible Service members and Veterans should visit their specific services web site and submittheir application on-line. When applying on-line each submission provides a claim number,allows for automated status updates, and provides a means for the military service to contact theapplicant. For those without internet access, complete and sign Department of Defense Form2944, Claim for Retroactive Stop Loss Payment. Next, submit this form and yourdocumentation to your appropriate Service.

    You will need the following documents in order to file your claim:

    DD 214 (8-09), Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty and/or DD 215

    (8-09), Correction to DD 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. Personnel record or enlistment or reenlistment document recording original expiration ofservice date.

    Approved retirement/transfer to the Fleet Reserve memorandum or orders establishingretirement prior to actual date of retirement as stipulated in DD 214 or DD 215.

    Approved resignation memorandum or transition orders establishing a separation dateprior to actual date of separation as stipulated on DD 214 or DD 215.

    Signed documentation or affidavit from knowledgeable officials from the individualschain of command acknowledging separation/deployment, etc.

    Revocation of retirement or separation orders.Visit the Office of Wounded Warrior Care and Transition Policy for service-specific sites that

    provide more information and allow you to begin the RSLP claim process.

    Arturo Murguia is Special Assistant for the Office to the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense,

    Wounded Warrior Care & Transition Policy.