tomorrow’s seo today – social search and beyond
Post on 22-Apr-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONAs search results become more personalized, its only natural that social media networks play a bigger role in these tailored search results. Learn how social search produces results that are specific to the individual and how your brand can stay relevant in these results as the social impact on search continues to grow.
- 1. Pubcon Las Vegas 2014 Tomorrows SEO Today Social Search and Beyond
- 2. Tomorrows SEO Today Social Search and Beyond - Overview Overview History of Social Signals Google Being Vocal about Social Setting Up Social Media Profiles Sharing content properly Social Signals SEO research, studies Social Signals Future
- 3. Social Search and Beyond History of Social Signals and SEO History of Social Signals and SEO Real-Time Search Launched December 2009 http://www.searchenginejournal.com/google-launches-latest-results-realtime-search/15290/ Google goal: to strive to bring us the freshest, most comprehensive and relevant search results over an ever expanding universe of content on the multitude of devices we use to access it. Google, Circa 2009 July 2011, Twitter Firehose ended.
- 4. Social Search and Beyond Google Has Been Vocal on Social Signals Google Has Been Vocal on Social Signals Matt Cutts at SES San Fran 2012 Keynote: Google has a 10 year plan for relying on social factors as a part of the algorithm In the short term, Google is still relying on links as an important ranking factor. Question: Are social signals a ranking factor? They have to have access to the data. Some sites are blocked, Facebook, etc.. If they cant crawl, then they wont have the data.
- 5. Social Search and Beyond Google Has Been Vocal on Social Signals Google Has Been Vocal on Social Signals Matt Cutts at SES San Fran 2012 Keynote: Regarding real time search: Twitter is like a private nightclub. Fundamentally they can suspend anyone if they want. Anyone can compete with Google if they can crawl better. Google announced (in 2012) that they crawl 20 billion pages a day. When the Twitter firehose deal ended, they were blocked from crawling. When Twitter went away, Google was leery about relying on that data. (Was this when they started to change their tune about signals?)
- 6. Social Search and Beyond What Can You Do Now? What Can You Do Now? Set up social profiles Contribute, update regularly Share content Add friends/followers Be active! Every single day
- 7. Social Search and Beyond Setting Up Social Profiles Setting Up Facebook Profile Set up Business Page (Facebook.com/globerunnerseo) Google crawls biz pages, not personal accounts Promote Facebook post, even for $5 Bing has FB personal account data Does anyone care about Bing rankings? Sorry, Duane Forrester!
- 8. Social Search and Beyond Facebook Sponsored Post Pubcon Las Vegas 2014 Post Wrote a post last week about Pubcon Las Vegas. Posted on blog, promoted Facebook sponsored post Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Ello Result? It got indexed quickly
- 9. Social Search and Beyond Setting Up Social Profiles Setting Up Social Accounts Dont follow more than following you Post on your blog? Share the full URL, not a short URL. Tweet of URL helps get URL crawled quickly.
- 10. Social Search and Beyond Setting Up Social Profiles LinkedIn Full personal profile with good photo/avatar is imperative. Share your blog posts, articles, updates. Like contacts updates, they get emailed that you liked it.
- 11. Social Search and Beyond Setting Up Social Profiles Setting Up Google+ Google+ Local biz (page), verify listing, used for Publishership Google+ Personal Account, used for Authorship Google Publishership: Important for home page, content pages
- 12. Social Search and Beyond Dominate Your Personal Brand on Google+ Optimize Your Profile on Google+ Fill Out Entire Profile, Every Field Summary with Facts Add relevant keywords Get local add location Add anchor text links!
- 13. Social Search and Beyond Dominate Your Personal Brand on Google+ Optimize Your Profile on Google+ Write Great Content, share Great Content Manage Your Contacts, Put in Circles Join Niche Specific Communities Pay Attention to Your Ripples Create a Visually-Rich Experience Use Google+ Hangouts Display Your Google Plus Badge on Your Site
- 14. Social Search and Beyond Dominate Your Personal Brand on Google+ Watch, Use Google Ripples Watch hot posts, network with influencers based on Ripples
- 15. Social Search and Beyond Dominate Your Personal Brand on Google+ Adding Followers on Google+ Search for Circles Keyword Circle or SEO Circle. Find others who shared their circles Add those people all at once, move later to other circle
- 16. Social Search and Beyond Social Promotion for SEO Promoting Social Media on Your Site Include Social Icons in Key Places Show actual number of +1s, Tweets, etc. +1 buttons, Tweet, LinkedIn, Facebook Like Button WordPress? Social Media Counters Plugin
- 17. Social Search and Beyond Promoting Blog Posts for SEO Promoting Posts on Social Media Sites Post on site, get ready to promote immediately Write alternate titles, headlines, summaries Each social share gets unique title, headline, summary 33 Speakers I Want to Meet at Pubcon 33 People I Want to See at Pubcon 33 To See at Pubcon
- 18. Social Search and Beyond Promoting Blog Posts for SEO Promoting Posts on Social Media Sites Network with others to help promote: - bloggers write alternative post, summary post, links to you - promote both summary posts and main post
- 19. Social Search and Beyond Promoting Blog Posts for SEO Promoting Posts on Social Media Sites Promoting posts need to happen quickly: within 2 hours Building momentum with social shares is key
- 20. Social Search and Beyond The future of social and SEO? So, What Now? Matt Cutts said Facebook and Twitter Pages Are Treated Like Any Other Web Page On the Internet. http://bit.ly/social-signals-pages Think of social pages, shares, and profiles as pages. Get links from those pages. How to get good links? Network socially with influencers. When you interact with influencers: Their profile links to your profile, could pass PageRank.
- 21. Social Search and Beyond Future Social Signals for SEO Future Social Signals for SEO? Building up a following counts more History of writing, authoring, sharing good content. Your content shared by influencers counts more
- 22. Social Search and Beyond So What Now? (Finally) We Know +1s, Tweets, Likes Dont Count Technically, we know they dont count. Does it matter, really? No. Keep sharing! Studies and research: Does Facebook activity impact SEO? http://bit.ly/1E9BTCX Measuring Google Plus Impact on Search Rankings http://bit.ly/1CIM2F4
- 23. Social Search and Beyond Thank You THANK YOU Contact Me Bill Hartzer Senior SEO Strategist Globe Runner SEO Email: Bill@GlobeRu
View more >