tick tock boom facebook timeline tips every marketer needs to know
out of 17
Post on 20-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. UPDATED The design format of the Timeline for brands is quite similar to the Timeline for personal DESIGN profiles. The cover photo is situated at the top of the Page and the profile picture is on the leftside, right underneath the cover photo. The page is separated into two main columns by adividing line that represents the passage of time. Facebook provides brands with new optionsfor self-expression with the Timeline concept.1Profile Picture2Cover Photo23Message Button4Views & Applications Panel1 5 People can navigate to3 5 different sections of the Page Timeline. Status, photo, milestone,6 question sharing tool 46People will see how their7 friends interact with your7Page.
- 2. NO DEFAULT In the previous design brands were able to set a default landing page. Many savvy brands wereLANDING using this feature to highlight their most important campaign or application by setting that tab asthe landing page. With the new Timeline format, the brands will no longer be able to set aPAGEdefault landing page. When the users visit a brands page, the first thing they will see will be thebrands Timeline page.Old DesignTimeline(Hogeldiniz translates to Welcome in Turkish)
- 3. TAB PAGESFacebook has removed the left side panel of links from the new Timeline design which included tabs. In the previous page design, that left-side panel could include hundreds of different tabs. The applications still exist in the new design but theyll display in rectangular panel right underneath the cover photo. Only 4 tab panels are viewable at any given time and maximum 12 application tabs can be used.Eski TasarmTimeline
- 4. TAB PAGES One can choose which of the apps and views appear in the top 4 and adjust the order theyappear in, with the exception of the Facebook native view Photos. Photos tab will alwaysappear first by default. When the users expand the tab panel by clicking a drop-down box, theywill see the rest of the tabs.
- 5. PRIVATE Users will be able to send and receive private messages with brands. This feature will enableMESSAGE brands to resolve users problems privately with much deeper consumer interaction. This is anoptional feature; brands can turn off the private messaging feature if they dont want to receiveany private inquiries. Enabling users to privately message will be beneficial for a less clutteredTimeline with complaints and customer inquiries. This will force some brands to provideCustomer Support on their Facebook pages and others to include a messaging procedure intotheir social media communication strategies.Anyone who hasa Facebookaccount will beable to send amessage. Theydont have to bea fan!
- 6. PRIVATEBrands can only send messages to people whove contacted them on their page. They cantMESSAGEmessage someone who likes their page unless theyve messaged the page. With this restraint Facebook is protecting the users to receive unwanted advertisements and promotions from the brands.Facebook Brand Page Private Message Screen
- 7. MILESTONEMilestones present an opportunity for brands not only tell their corporate history but alsoupdating the Timeline with new milestones such as product launches, store openings, etc. asthey happen. At this time, January 1, 1800 is the earliest date a milestone can have.To add a milestone:Click Milestone in the sharing tool atthe top of the Pages timelineAdd a headline, location, date anddetails for your milestoneChoose to add a photo (optional butrecommended to make the story moreinteresting)A milestone post is distinguished byblack flag. Milestones are importantmoments youve decided to highlighton your Page thus they areautomatically expanded towidescreen.
- 8. MILESTONE Not surprisingly, Ford Turkey brand page does a great job utilizing Milestones for their FacebookTimeline. Theyve not only entered events and major achievements that occurred in the US butincluded milestones that took place in Turkey that go back to 1919 all which include a story andan engaging image.
- 9. One new feature that marketers will love is the ability to pin a certain post to the top of thePINNING A Timeline. A pinned post is distinguished by a small, orange flag and always appears in the top left POST of a pages Timeline. Brands can pin only one item at a time for 7 days. The pinned item exists intwo locations as the top item on the Timeline itself and within its chronological place. Onceunpinned (which happens automatically when a new item gets pinned, or the item has beenpinned for more than seven days), the post remains in the chronology of Timeline posts..Pinning items to the top ofthe Timeline will become animportant feature to highlightnew and interesting content.This is especially useful forbrands that post frequentlyand dont want importantcampaign or promotionalinformation to get buried intheir Timeline. If apromotional campaign thathas been posted 10 days ago,is still valid, they no longerhave to post the sameinformation over and overagain. All they have to do is topin the original post.
- 10. PINNING A To pin a post to the top of your Page, click the pencil icon in the upper-right corner of your Pages POST post and select Pin to Top. Your pinned post will move to below the sharing tool in the top leftof your Pages timeline, and an orange flag will appear in the upper-right corner. You can alsoeasily unpin a post from the top by clicking the pencil icon ad selecting Unpin from Top. We will begin to see savvy brands design posts specifically to be pinned, whether images, a well- designed call-to-action or a message calling for the user to click one of the tab panels under the cover photo.
- 11. HIGHLIGHTING This feature allows brands to highlight the posts that are important. When a post is highlighted, A POSTit expands to widescreen. Clicking on the Star sign will make that post spread across two columns. Click it again, and it will go back to one column.
- 12. PAGE LIKEOne of the important features of the new design is the detailed page like insights that can beINSIGHTS viewed by anyone who visits the page and they dont even have to be fans to see it. When we take a look at the Ford Turkey brand page, not only we are able to see the total number of people who like to page and number of people who are talking about this page but also see the most popular week, the most popular city and the most popular age group. And we can also view a one month graph that shows daily new likes and talked about numbers. Detailed page like insights will enable marketers to sneak up on the competition, watch their every move closely and prepare a thorough competitive analysis. With this transparency, the competition amongst brands will be fierce than ever.The statistics are from March 5, 2012.
- 13. COVER PHOTO Brands used to design profile pictures and landing pages that arent solely about the brandRESTRICTIONS image, from time to time they were announcing promotions and sales concentrated campaigns.With this knowledge at hand, Facebook decided to come up with some restrictions to the coverphoto to prevent brands from turning it into a fan-gate, promotional billboard, or othermarketing tool.Cover images cant be deceptive, misleading, or infringe on anyone elses copyright. Brands maynot encourage people to upload their cover to their personal timelines. Covers images may notinclude;i.Price or purchase information, such as "40% off" or "Download it on our website";ii. Contact information such as a website address, email, mailing address, or information thatshould go in your Pages "About" section;iii. References to Facebook features or actions, such as "Like" or "Share" or an arrow pointingfrom the cover photo to any of these features;iv. Calls to action, such as "Get it now" or "Tell your friends."
- 14. SIZES COVER PHOTO:Cover photos are 851 pixels wide and 315 pixels tall. If you upload an image thats smaller thanthese dimensions, it will get stretched to this larger size. The image you upload must be at least399 pixels wide. PROFILE PICTURE:Use a high quality image that scales well from 180 x 180 pixels to 32 x 32 pixels thumbnail image. VIEWS & APP BOX:The views and apps boxes are 111 pixels wide and 74 pixels tall. MILESTONE PHOTO:Dimensions for milestone photos are 843 x 403 pixels. APPLICATION PAGES:Page app width can now be adjusted to be Narrow (520px) or Wide (810px).
- 15. SUMMARY On March 30, 2012, all Facebook Pages will get a new design. The new design changes are all in sync with the Facebooks product strategy as a social medianetwork. Facebook is encouraging brands to form a stronger communication with their fanbase. Content was always important, now its the King! Providing relevant, interactive andvaluable content via the News Feed is the number-one priority for consumer engagement. According to Facebooks philosophy content is the new ad and the storytelling is theadvertising. The content we are used to see in our regular news feed will be theadvertisement. They are trying to reduce user friction and abolish the whole notion ofadvertising by introducing different ways of advertising. Brand pages will no longer be able to increase their fan base by solely utlizing the freeFacebook tools. Advertising on Facebook will be crucial tool to increase consumerengagement and fan base. Anyone who has a Facebook account will be able to send a private message to the brands andview their page insights simply clicking the like view on the tabs panel. Milestones present an opportunity for brands not only tell their corporate history but alsoupdating the Timeline with new milestones such as product launches, store openings, etc. asthey happen. When you mark a story as a milestone, it means its an important story, itautomatically appears as a highlighted event and thus has a higher percentage of showing upin more newsfeeds. With the pinning feature bra
View more >