things i wish i'd known
Post on 16-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONI gave a presentation at my old high school on the topic of "things I wish I'd known back then". It was part motivational, part educational. The slides don't tell the full story, but hopefully they'll be useful to someone.
- 1. I wish I knew
Founder, Distilled (2005-)
Alumnus, St. Aidans (1991-1998)
2. This is my best friend we met playing basketball at St. Aidans in 1991
3. This is my brother he left St. Aidans in 2001
4. Somehow, weve grown a decent business
5. It wasnt always this way back in 1997, we made 800 and got sued.
6. In 2005, we made a go of it we made 36,000 in revenue and learnt the value of getting things in writing
7. Overnight success takes years
Its really easy to stop here
8. We didnt make a business plan we got talked into college, then sensible jobs which earnt significantly more than the business initially
9. Can I have some advice please?
10. Stop worrying what others think. Things dont always work out great for the cool kids
11. Hang out with people who are smarter than you: you will come to resemble the people you hang out with
12. Business friends rock you dont get a network at networking events. Just like you dont make friends at friend events
13. No, you cant have a pony you arent owed anything. Make your own way. Lead without permission
Idea unashamedly from: http://media.b-list.org/presentations/2008/djangocon/reusable_apps.pdf
14. Curiosity is your best asset I learnt Python and Django to (help) build our video store. It made $15,000 in its first month
15. NBED How to get hired example of Ed
Anyone can get hired dont scatter-gun CVs. Choose where you want to work and impress the hell out of them
A guy younger than you lot made this to impress us
16. For everyone who comes in here talking about the team they are going to hire, there are three others out there that did hire people
17. Read these books: http://dis.tl/j53cJghttp://dis.tl/kgbEqrhttp://dis.tl/mqxG0j
18. You need to make cold calls every single day otherwise your business will wither and die.
We didnt. It didnt.
19. Once you leave college, its not cheating any more attribute sources, but copy away. Give yourself unfair advantages
20. From here on out, do something you love if you dont, youre doing it wrong
21. I hope Ive given you some useful advice. Remember as you make your way into the world that most people dont know what theyre doing
Never compare your inside to someone elses outside
22. Will Critchlow, Head of R&D
Feel free to give me a shout with any questions or for any further advice you need.