The Skeletal and Muscular Systems. The Skeletal System The bones of the body make up the skeletal system (206 bones in adults) FUNCTION: Bones provide.
Post on 18-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- The Skeletal and Muscular Systems
- Slide 2
- The Skeletal System The bones of the body make up the skeletal system (206 bones in adults) FUNCTION: Bones provide protection for internal organs and work with muscles to enable movement
- Slide 3
- Label the Skeleton
- Slide 4
- Structure of Bones There are two layers of bone 1st LAYER: The outer compact bone- dense connective tissue with a calcium salt matrix (hard) Bone cells release calcium in rings forming tubes called Haversian canals 2nd LAYER: The inner layer of spongy bone with many cavities (bone marrow makes blood cells and platelets some bone marrow stores fats for energy) Covering-tough exterior membrane called the periosteum
- Slide 5
- Slide 6
- Joints The place where two bones meet are called joints A tough connective tissue called cartilage cushions the bones at the joints Bands of connective tissue called ligaments hold bones together anterior cruciate ligament cartilage
- Slide 7
- Types of Joints Ball-and-socket joints: allow the widest range of motion backward, forward, sideways, and in a circle Hips and shoulders Pivot joints: allow a rotation movement Vertebrae in the neck Hinge joints: allow bending and straightening Knees and knuckles
- Slide 8
- Ball-and-socket joints
- Slide 9
- Pivot Joints
- Slide 10
- Hinge Joints
- Slide 11
- More Joint Types Gliding joints: allow a sliding motion Wrists and ankles Saddle joint: allows rotation and bending At the base of the thumb
- Slide 12
- Gliding Joints
- Slide 13
- Hinge Joints Saddle Joint
- Slide 14
- Muscular System Although bones allow for movement, they couldnt do so without the muscular system Your body has over 600 muscles All muscles are specialized for contraction "It eats meat. We're meat! -From Zathura
- Slide 15
- Types of Muscles Smooth muscle found in organs and blood vesselsunder involuntary control Cardiac muscle found only in the heartunder involuntary control Skeletal muscle attached to bones by strips of connective tissue called tendons
- Slide 16
- Skeletal muscle Smooth muscle Cardiac muscle
- Slide 17
- How they work Muscles receive a nerve impulse with causes them to contract They are attached to bones in opposing pairs Flexor muscles cause a joint to bend Extensor muscles cause a joint to straighten Connective tissues called tendons connect the muscles to the bones
- Slide 18
- Slide 19
- Relationships The muscular and skeletal systems work together to allow movement. The circulatory system brings oxygen (respiratory) and nutrients (digestive) to the muscles and removes wastes (excretory). The nervous system tells the muscles to move (voluntarily and involuntarily).
View more >
The Axial Skeletal System. Divisions of the Skeletal System Humans are born with approximately 300 bones which fuse to 206 bones as adults. There are.
Skeletal and Muscular Systems. Skeletal System The framework for your body 206 bones “Os-” bone; “Osteo-” bone.
Skeletal System. Bones The skeletal system is made up of bones and cartilage, which is the framework of our body. Babies have 300 bones Adults have 206.
Osseous Tissue Skeletal Bones Tissue Skeletal Structure The Skeletal System • The skeletal system includes: –Bones, cartilages, ligaments
The Skeletal System. Objectives Identify and describe the five functions of the skeletal system Distinguish between long bones, short bones, flat bones,
SKELETAL SYSTEM Skeletal system … made of organs that are called bones, there are 206 bones in the body.
The Skeletal System By: Jacob Mitchmore. Bones You have 206 bones in your body. The skeletal system performs several functions.It protects soft areas.
Skeletal System. The Skeletal SystemThe Skeletal System: Overview Components of the skeletal system Bones (~ 206 in an adult) Joints Cartilages.
Chapter 5 The Skeletal System. Introduction The adult skeleton is composed of 206 bones The adult skeleton is composed of 206 bones The skeletal system.
THE SKELETAL SYSTEM enter the world of bones. THE SKELETAL SYSTEM is the human body system composed of bones and connective tissue in various sub-systems.