the library platform & altmetrics
out of 19
Post on 25-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONProQuest presentation 2014
- 1. The Library Platform & Altmetrics Sue Wortman Social Work Librarian University of Michigan June 17, 2014
- 2. Ways Libraries Facilitate Knowledge Provide Access Provide Training Provide a safe environment Build motivation to learn
- 3. Badging Curricular, co-curricular connected Transforming student learning Scale and monetization Pedagogy driving change Innovation and experimentation Digital education/online environment Residential learning: authentic, participatory, problem-based Engaged learning: service, study abroad, action-based Learning technology Portfolios and reflective learning Collaboration Community, diversity, civil engagement
- 4. University Innovation and experimentation Digital education/online environment Learning technology Collaboration Community Provide access Provide training Provide safe environment Build motivation to learn + = Library
- 5. Altmetrics
- 6. Altmetrics Manifesto - 2010 1. Peer-review is antiquated due to changes in the speed of scholarly publishing and doesnt hold reviewers accountable. 2. Counting citations is insufficient and can take years for reliable results. 3. Journal impact factors are suspect and are used for purposes for which they were never intended.
- 7. Do not use journal-based metrics, such as Journal Impact Factors (JIFs), as surrogate measures of the quality of individual research articles, to assess individual scientists contributions, or in hiring, promotion, or funding decisions.
- 8. April 2013 Elsevier acquired Mendeley May 2013 Wiley piloted providing data from Altmetric in their open access journals June 2013 National Information Standards Organization (NISO) project starts January 2014 Plum Analytics is acquired by EBSCO & Taylor & Francis partner with Figshare February 2014 SpringerLink adds Altmetric March 2014 British platform Kudos relaunched with Altmetric data June 9, 2014 NISO releases first draft of their white paper on standardizing altmetrics June 14, 2014 Altmetric releases tool to gather institution-wide metrics
- 9. Standardization 1. Defining altmetrics 2. Including different forms of research outputs 3. Making work discoverable earlier 4. Measuring quality of research 5. Gaming the system making data open & standardized 6. Aggregating/grouping alternative metrics 7. Using the data in context
- 10. University of Michigan Researchers School of Social Work Collaborative Tools
- 11. University of Michigan Librarians
- 12. What Can Librarians Do? Stay informed Be a part of the current conversations Know the tools Integrate altmetrics into outreach & education Lapinski, S., Piwowar, H. & Priem, J. (2013). Riding the crest of the altmetrics wave: How librarians can help prepare faculty for the next generation of research impact metrics. College & Research Library News, 74(6), 292-300.
- 13. Although moves toward a major reliance on [altmetrics and ALMs] in research are premature, and the notion of an article impact factor is fraught with difficulty, with the development of standards, transparency and improved understanding of these metrics, they will be come valuable sources of evidence of the research of individual research outputs, as well as tools to support new ways to navigate the literature. - David Drubin
- 14. Provide access to altmetrics and ALM Provide training on altmetrics and ALM Provide a safe environment Build motivation to learn about altmetrics and ALM
- 15. Be it practice, policies, programs, and/or tools, librarians seek to enrich, capture, store and disseminate the conversations of their community. R. David Lankes
- 16. Credits Platform 3A, by Lena Vaseljeva, https://flic.kr/p/eSPQG7 Watson, R. (2010). Future files: a brief history of the next 50 years. [New ed.]. London: Nicholas Brealey Pub. Lankes, R. D. (2012). Expect more: Demanding better libraries for todays complex world. http://quartz.syr.edu/blog/wp-content/ uploads/2014/01/ExpectMoreOpen.pdf Priem, J., Taraborelli, D., Neylon, C. (2010/. Altmetrics: A manifesto, (v.1.0), 26 October 2010. http://altmetrics.org/manifesto San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment, http://am.ascb.org/dora Drubin, D. (2014, June 11). Time to discard the metric that decides how science is rated. The Conversation. Retrieved from http://theconversation.com/time-to-discard-the-metric-that-decides-how-science- is-rated-27733 Lankes, R. D. (2011). The atlas of new librarianship. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.
- 17. Questions?
View more >