The Digital Marketing Workshop SXSW 2014
Post on 19-Aug-2015
- 1. The Digital Marketing Workshop SXSW 2014 #reachhack
- 2. Who we are Blake Robinson - @blake Director, Product & Marketing, @Annalect Israel Mirsky - @IsraelMirsky Global Managing Dir, Social & Performance, @Annalect Margaret Francis - @MargaretFrancis VP, Product, @Heroku Marshall Kirkpatrick - @MarshallK CEO, @GetLittleBird
- 3. What is marketing?
- 4. marketing [mahr-ki-ting] n. The act or process of buying or selling in a market. n. The commercial functions involved in transferring goods from producer to consumer.
- 5. Marketing typically works like this
- 6. Marketing should work like this
- 7. Whats happening now? Whats coming up? Marketing Trends
- 8. Data Management Platforms DMPs Enable: Cross channel audience targeting Effective, efficient programmatic Reach/frequency AOL Finding things 1st -> TC Putting it all together ->RWW Now Productizing my lessons learned Leveraging my personal social capital Putting the machine into your hands with Little Bird (GetLittleBird.com)
- 49. Metrics ROI Awesomeness New business opportunities earned and won Connections to target market influencers (Little Bird) Klout score
- 50. Strategy: Always add value Mechanical: IF you are interesting and useful THEN people will talk about you BECAUSE when people spread your interesting content THEY get points for being interesting themselves. Poetic: Adding value is good because the Internet is wonderful. The Network of People offers an abundance of beauty and knowledge, discovery and empowerment - lets revel in and celebrate it!
- 51. Five ways to add value with curation Tactic: Curation
- 52. 1. Be first
- 53. 2. Say it best
- 54. 3. Aggregate
- 55. 4. Bring a unique perspective
- 56. (Definitely the toughest) 5. Be funny
- 57. Tactic: Working out loud Working Out Loud = Observable Work + Narrating Your Work Bryce Williams Social Collab Consultant, Eli Lilly @TheBrycesRight Stowe Boyd: Discover key information earlier Succeed, improve or fail more quickly Increases resilience in uncertainty
- 58. Tactic: Make it a habit BJ Foggs model Make it small Tie it to an anchor habit (eg read 5 tweets) Celebrate
- 59. Tactic: Make it a habit Marshalls model Oversubscribe and filter Monitor for break- out hits & key opportunities Put it in a UI youll trip over
- 60. Tactic: Make it a habit If/Then If Ive arrived at work, if its after lunch, then scan the trade press If Im doing business with someone new, then I analyze their industry connections If something happens in the world that I can add value to the discussion around, then I will at least Tweet about it
- 61. To summarize: 1. Grow yourself - it will serve your company well. 2. Add value - make the pie higher for everyone, the social web follows an abundance model 3. Curate strategically - being awesome online is an art and science 4. Work out loud - that way everyone learns more, faster 5. Take steps to make it a habit - wash, rinse, repeat. Hustle + patience + creativity + generosity + relevance + luck = success!
- 62. and determining ROI Measurement
- 63. Do you have all these programs?
- 64. Are you able to measure ROI?
- 65. Social Value
- 66. Top-Down Approaches
- 67. Bottom-Up Approaches
- 68. Determining the measurement mix
- 69. No single approach dominates - its a mix.
- 70. Planning for success
- 71. http://businessmodelgeneration.com/canvas
- 72. Choosing your objectives
- 73. Set achievable goals Find users / customers: o Get 100 legitimate prospects in your email list Prepare to raise money: o Target 10 firms and their principals/ analysts/ associates Connect with influencers: o Get 10 relevant people following you Network with peers: o Connect with 10 people in your field. Establish a relationship
- 74. Analyzing your objectives
- 75. http://www.flickr.com/photos/itsgreg/446061432 Analytics are the measurement of movement toward your business goals.
- 76. A good metric is Clear, comparable ratios Tied to your business model Actionable, not vain Correlated or causal Leading or Lagging
- 77. Comparable Ratios: Miles/mpg/tpmph Clear: You know 60MPH is twice as fast as 30MPH o In a country, speed limits and mileage are well understood o Kilometers are conveniently decimal; miles map to hours Rates: Miles travelled is good; miles per hour is better; accelerating or decelerating changes your gas pedal Business model: You can measure MPH divided by speeding tickets as a metric of driving fast without losing my license
- 78. A few words on causality.
- 79. BAD METRIC. If it cant change your behavior, then its a...
- 80. If you can only measure a few things
- 81. Most startups dont know what theyre going to be when they grow up.
- 82. A growth rate of 5% per week is good, 7% is very good and more than 7% is excellent. As a startup, you must measure growth.
- 83. But what kind of growth should you measure?
- 84. Startups and smaller initiatives should consider measuring the following: Revenue Conversions Desired interactions Shares of content or product Engagements with your content or your product Uniques and pages visited
- 85. Twitter & Facebook Ads
- 86. Twitter Ads Increase Awareness & Intent
- 87. Ads increase awareness
- 88. FB Custom Audience: The Clymb
- 89. FB Custom Audience: The Clymb
- 90. Facebook Fan Value
- 91. Qualitative value of Twitter follower
- 92. Quantitative value of Twitter follower
- 93. Marketing on a budget
- 94. Thanks everybody! Thats all!
View more >
TheB2B MARKETERS GUIDE SXSW MARCH - Account-Based Marketing Digital Marketing Workshop Saturday, March 8 9:30 a.m. 1:30 p.m. ... 7-11,2014 SXSW AUSTIN,TEXAS SESSIONS Mosh Pit of Experts 2014 The Future of Social
% C.%Michael%Armstrong%Professor% ?? Beentwice!chosentopresent!at!SXSW!Interactive.!Once ... Led!graduatestudent!workshop!on!Social!Media!Marketing! ... in!Digital!Marketing!deliveredat ...
StoryCode marketing campaign for a new found-footage film ... Workshop: StoryLINES ... presented in the 2015 Digital Domain, a SXSW Convergence
Brian Fanzo Keynote Speaker - 2018 Media digital marketing to stand out from the noise and reach the ... including SXSW, Social Media Marketing ... AWARDS 2014-2018 Top 20 Digital ...