second life n e t s refresh
out of 23
Post on 13-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONNETS-T Refresh forum in Second Life, presented by ISTE on March 10, 2008
- 1. Refreshing ISTEs National Educational Technology Standards for Teachers (NETS T) An ISTE Standards Development Forum Anita McAnear , NECC Program Chair/Acquisitions Editor Leslie Conery, ISTE Deputy CEO
- 2. The Challenge? Preparing a Digital Generation . . .
- 3. NETS Refresh Process
- Consensus Building
- Feedback Forums
- Online Surveys
- Advisory Groups
- Accreditation and Standards Committee
- ISTE Leadership Team
- 4. Revision Guidelines . . .
- Incorporate feedback from the field
- Consider multiple audiences
- Align numbering of items with other NETS
- Preserve roughly similar length
- Update language
- Lead with student learning rather than tools
- Consolidate where needed
- Expand to include new needs
- Add assessment resources to package
- 5. ISTE NETS for Students (NETS S) Standards Categories. . .Transition
- 1. Basic Operations and Concepts
- 2. Social, Ethical, and Human Issues
- 3. Technology Productivity Tools
- 4. Technology Communications Tools
- 5. Technology Research Tools
- 6. Technology Problem-solving and Decision- making Tools
- 6. ISTE NETSS Refresh
- 7. Teacher directed, memory-focused instruction Student-centered, performance-focused learning Isolated work on invented exercises Collaborative work on authentic, real-world projects Factual, literal thinking for competence Creative thinking for innovation and original solutions Primary focus on school and local community Expanded focus including digital global citizenship Isolated assessment of learning Integrated assessment for learning Transforming Learning Environments Traditional Environments Emerging Learning Landscape Knowledge from limited, authoritative sources Learner-constructed knowledge from multiple information sources and experiences
- 8. How Must the NETST be Refreshed to address the 2007 NETSS?
- 1. Technology Operations and Concepts
- 2. Planning and Designing Learning Environments and Experiences
- 3. Teaching, Learning, and the Curriculum
- 4. Assessment and Evaluation
- 5. Productivity and Professional Practice
- 6. Social, Ethical, Legal, and Human Issues
- 9. Framework Comparison: Current to Draft
- Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity
- Design Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments
- Model Digital-Age Work and Learning
- Promote Digital Citizenship and Responsibility
- Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership
- 10. ISTE (NETS S) Standard Categories or Buckets
- Creativity and Innovation
- Communication and Collaboration
- Critical Thinking, Problem-solving and Decision-making
- Research & Information Fluency
- Digital Citizenship
- Technology Operations and Concepts
- 11. ISTE (NETS S) Standards or Standard Statements Creativity and Innovation Students demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology .
- 12. ISTE (NETS S) Performance Indicators
- Creativity and Innovation
- Students demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology. Students:
- apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, products, processes.
- create original works as a means of personal or group expression.
- use models and simulations to explore complex systems and issues.
- identify trends and forecast possibilities.
- First Consideration . . .
- The NETST Standards Framework
- How should the NETST address changes in NETSS 2007?
- What should the standards framework include?
- 14. Group Activity 1: Framework
- Use Framework Questions worksheet and individually jot a few notes to the questions.
- Discuss your answers as a group. Facilitator captures feedback in Google Docs.
- 15. What are Indicators of Success in Meeting the NETST?
- What indicators will signal
- that success in meeting
- each standard has been
- 16. Group Activity 2: Provide Feedback on Standards and Indicators
- Individuals use the corresponding worksheet to review standards/indicators and make revisions
- As a group, discuss revisions and Facilitator captures feedback on Google Docs.
- 17. Group Activity 3: Essential Conditions
- Review the NETSS Essential Conditions
- As a group, think about these questions:
- How might the Essential Conditions for teachers be different than those for students?
- Do we need to add any Essential Conditions to the version that accompanies the NETST?
- Discuss changes to specific Essential Conditions
- Submit group consensus feedback on Google Docs
- 19. Activity 4: Best Ideas
- ISTE would like your three best ideas or pieces of advice for refreshing the NETST
- 20. What Else Can I Do?
- Help us gather exemplary lesson plans and plans that implement the new NETS for Students http://nets-implementation.iste.wikispaces.net/
- Help us track how many school districts are adopting the new NETS for Students www.iste.org/nets-adoption
- 21. Thank You, NETS Refresh Sponsors Level One Sponsors Level Two Sponsors Apple Inc.
- 22. AND . . . last but not least . . . A HUGE . . . Thank-You!
- 23. International Society for Technology in Education Leslie S. Conery [email_address] Anita McAnear [email_address] Thanks for sharing your expertise! For more information contact:
View more >