Download T20 souvenir file   3

Post on 05-Dec-2014

Category:

Documents

2 download

Embed Size (px)

DESCRIPTION

TRANSCRIPT

• 1. ENVIRONMENTParisaraParisara, Samarthanams waste managementwing, collects and recycles dry waste from to the market place, compatible with all majorcorporate locations, apartment complexes and products. Samarthanam Parisara is a registeredresidential units. re-processor/recycler of printer cartridges,The programme aids in empowering the authorized and licensed by Karnataka Statedifferently-abled by providing employment Pollution Control Board.opportunities. The income generated is used forSamarthanams welfare activities. CULTURE. 5.16 lakh kgs in 2011 Samarthanam encourages talent among. Annual Revenue generated: Rs 52 lakhs differently-abled youth, nurturing their skills in art, music & dance and providing opportunitiesPrinter Cartridge Recycling Unit to perform on stage. Sunadha, Samarthanams cultural troupeSamarthanams Printer Cartridge Recycling Plant comprising visually impaired artistes, has givenwhere refilling/remanufacturing is carried out; classical and folk dance performances across thebrings high quality compatible toner cartridges country, and the U.S. An Interview - By Arundhati VenkateshThree inspiring women show us what visually impaired people in India can achieve.Savithri has been working at a BPO run by Samarthanam Trust for the Disabled, after completing herB.A. She has been learning dance right from her school days, and has travelled abroad many times.Savithri is visually impaired. She hails from a village where there were no facilities for education. Heruncle, a bus conductor, met other visually impaired people on a bus journey and obtained informationand contacts from them. Savithri was then sent to the Ramana Maharishi School for the Blind. Aftercompleting her 10 th std., she arrived at Samarthanam Trust for the Disabled and spent the next eightyears there.Gangamma, visually impaired, is a degree holder, a dancer and chess player. Gangamma has won theNational Chess championship for the blind, and was also part of the Samarthanam troupe that wonthe All-India Dance competition in 2010. She has secured a job at a bank.Gangamma is originally from a village in Bellary district, but has spent the last fifteen years inBangalore. She came to Samarthanam for her PUC after completing her 10th.Suma is a B.Com graduate, and works for Samarthanam as a Volunteer Co-ordinator. She is alsovisually impaired and arrived at Samarthanam to do her PUC after completing her 10th std. in a normalschool.The three women have travelled extensively for cultural tours and performances. I spoke to themabout their passion, their accomplishments and their journey so far. Best Compliments from 47www.samarthanam.org www.blindcricket.in
  • 2. Dance for the sight impaired Suma lights up when talking about dance. She On the transition to the real world, she says, It says, Dancing makes me happy. I dont feel any was like being with parents while we were at stage fear. We learn dance using the touch-and- Samarthanam, but now I am self reliant. feel method. We cant execute eye movement, but apart from that we perform like sighted Learning computers and dance at dancers. We walk around on stage and take Samarthanam was a turning point, it helped me steps to measure from the centre to sides before come up in life, says Suma. a performance. We perform in rhythm with the music. Savithri is visibly grateful. College admissions It takes practice, Savithri says, I enjoy dancing a were over, I was late. But Vasanti maam took me lot. I forget everything when I am dancing. to NMKRV college and requested the authorities. According to Gangamma the key is not to lose I got a seat thanks to Samarthanam. orientation. We can gauge the audience Samarthanam continued to support me - I reaction and interest level from the claps, she studied and availed facilities without having to adds. Gangamma learnt to play the veena and pay any fees. I now work at Samarthanams the flute, before taking to dance. At first, she disabled-friendly rural BPO. The BPO is unlike enjoyed the flute more as she could hear the anything I have seen before, and it employs music as she played. Gradually, Gangamma got almost a hundred people. I would like to thank interested and inspired by others in the dance everyone at Samarthanam, Savithri says with troupe. Then there was no looking back. emotion. Being sight impaired not an obstacle for Overcoming challenges with some help travelling Savithri is very proud that she did well at both From not being able to speak English to being a dance and academics. Gangamma agrees and confident woman, travel brought about the says it required focus. Samarthanam helped by transformation, Gangamma says. providing CDs/DVDs with lessons copied when Communication definitely, and I learnt life skills they had to miss classes during tours. too. People abroad do their own house work, Suma adds, While theory classes were alright, I they are independent, Savithri tells me. needed help from volunteers when it came to practicals. Computers helped a lot and made On Samarthanam Trust for the disabled things easier. Gangamma says, Samarthanam paid our On attitudes towards visually impaired college fees, provided computers, Internet, free people in India accommodation and food. There are a lot of other things; I cant express myself in words. No Savithri says, Being blind is a boon. I wouldnt matter how much I say, it is not enough. I am have gone to America or studied as much totally blind; Vasanti maam (one of the otherwise. I got opportunities and made use of Samarthanam Trustees) motivated me and was them. Had I resigned myself to thinking I am more than a mother. blind I wouldve been sitting at home doing nothing. My parents did not differentiate Samarthanam may look small at first, but the between me and my siblings. At Samarthanam facilities are very good and if one utilizes it well, too, I was in an integrated school beside able- he/she is sure to do well in life. Access to the bodied children we were treated as equals. Internet, computers, opportunities, foreign That is what I would like to say dont trips... I could forget about my disability. At home, differentiate, encourage. Dont decide upfront extended family treated me with sympathy. At that we cant do something. Give us a chance to Samarthanam, I was treated as a capable show we can. person. Gangamma states, People think we cant do The food we had at Samarthanam was because we cant see. But we can, sometimes excellent, I cant forget it, Gangamma even better than those with sight. We are reminisces. I feel welcome even now when I specially-abled. Try to overlook the fact that we visit, she adds. cant see.48 www.samarthanam.org www.blindcricket.in
  • 3. Want to help?Savithri would like to provide books and finance difference, She adds.education for a few children. I also want to raise Gangamma suggests, Be there, spend time.funds. I want to give back as much as I have taken Arrange a field trip - it will be a good change fromassistance from Samarthanam. says this the routine for these kids who have no place toconfident young woman. If possible, one can go to other than school/college and the NGO. Itprovide financial support, but that may not be would be good to tie reward to achievement.possible for all. Volunteering, reader services, Promise to fund the education of those whorecording, assisting during dance practice score more than 80%.there are many other ways one can make aAwards and Recognition Samarthanam Founder Managing Trustee Mr. G.K. Mahanteshwas conferred with the National Award for Child Welfare 2009. Theaward was presented to him by the Hon. President of India. Mahanteshs contribution to sports for the differently-abled wasrecognised with the NDTV Spirit of Sport Award for 2011. Mr.Mahantesh received the award in the Against the Odds - LifetimeAchievement category. M