Seven Contrary Virtues
Post on 23-Feb-2016
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONSeven Contrary Virtues. Seven Contrary Virtues. Humility Generosity Kindness Chastity Patience Temperance Diligence. Seven Contrary Virtues. Practicing these virtues is supposed to protect one against temptation toward the Seven Deadly Sins (or negative thought and action). . - PowerPoint PPT Presentation
Seven Contrary Virtues
Seven Contrary VirtuesSeven Contrary VirtuesHumilityGenerosityKindnessChastityPatienceTemperanceDiligence
Seven Contrary VirtuesPracticing these virtues is supposed to protect one against temptation toward the Seven Deadly Sins (or negative thought and action).
The word virtue can be replaced with the phrase positive thought and action
Seven Contrary VirtuesThe Virtues 1-7humility l generosity l kindness l chastity l patience l temperance l diligence1. Humility
Humility Humility is the virtue that counters pride or vanity.
As pride leads to other sins, true humility clears a path for goodness.
Humility The virtue of humility is about modest behavior, selflessness, and the giving of respect. This includes praising others and not seeking praise in return.
Generosity Generosity is the virtue that is counter to greed, which is the sin of insatiable desire for earthly goods.
Generosity The virtue of generosity is focused not merely on the appropriate concern regarding one's earthly goods, but also on generosity and a willingness to give, freely and without request for recognition or praise.
3. Chastity Chastity is the counter-virtue to the sin of lust.
3. Chastity Chastity embraces moral wholesomeness and purity, and in both thought and action treats the gift of sexuality with due reverence and respect. This includes modest dress, speech and actions.
4. PatiencePatience is the virtue that counters the sin of unjust anger, also called wrath or rage.
4. PatienceThe virtue of patience focuses on seeking appropriate resolution to conflicts, and on the ability to forgive and show mercy.
5. Temperance The virtue of temperance counters the sin of gluttony. To be gluttonous is to overindulge.
5. Temperance On the opposite hand, the virtue of temperance is centered on self-control and moderation. This includes consistently choosing foods/drinks that promote health, both mental and physical.
6. Kindness Kindness, or love for one's neighbor, is the virtue which counters the sin of envy.
6. Kindness Kindness is manifested in the unprejudiced, compassionate and charitable concern for others.
7. Diligence Diligence, or persistence, is the virtue which counters the sin of sloth.
7. Diligence Diligence manifests the appropriately zealous attitudes toward living, cooperation to complete tasks, and commitment to fulfill ones obligations.This includes exerting effort, seeing a task through to the end, and honoring ones duties, paid or unpaid.
End of Presentation 7 Contrary Virtues