Scavenger Hunt (Internet Scavenger Hunt/Cyberhunt)
out of 17
Post on 25-Dec-2014
DESCRIPTIONInternet Scavenger Hunt in Education
- 1. Prepared by: Blesilda Anne B. Lubag
- 2. It is a game in which the organizers prepare a list defining specific items . The participants seek to gather all items on the list or perform tasks or take photographs of the items, as specified. The goal is usually to be the first to complete the list, although in a variation on the game players can also be challenged to complete the tasks on the list in the most creative manner.
- 3. For the sake of creativity, teachers use something old and keep it new. Scavenger Hunting is a great way to teach. Not only will your students be able to learn something new but, enjoy the time doing so.
- 4. The first internet hunt was developed in 1992 by Rick Gates to encourage people to explore the resources available online.
- 5. An Internet scavenger hunt or CyberHunt is an educational lesson which is often used as tool for teaching students how to search the Internet and how to use the resources and information available on the Internet.
- 6. It is an online activity in the form of a scavenger hunt that focuses on gathering information from web sites to answer questions or to support a concept on a particular theme or content area.
- 7. The intent is to hunt for facts or information to add details for the answer to the question . The questions themselves may vary from the simple fact or statement to the more complex, depending upon the age and skill level of the student.
- 8. When creating the CyberHunt, the teacher selects web sites that support their specific curriculum focus. The instructor has control over which sites have the best information to answer the questions. The students use only those sites in the activity. The intent is to focus on the material and not have students spend time using search engines or directories to accumulate numerous websites that must then be accessed, assessed and evaluated. Instead, students use their time to navigate to teacher-selected sites for the information.
- 9. The CyberHunt lesson is streamlined to a simple fact-finding activity. For this reason, the typical activity takes one or more class periods to finish . There are no firm CyberHunt rules about the number of sites, the type of questions, or the amount of activity time to be allotted.
- 10. CyberHunts have been created in all shapes and forms and for all grade levels. They cover most subjects and have no set time limit.
- 11. By completing CyberHunts, students learn how to navigate a web site, scan a page for detailed information, and then apply the facts or ideas to the question. A CyberHunt is an excellent way to teach beginning internet researching skills.
- 12. The use of online resources for instruction diminishes the need for extensive investments in print resources. A single book can be used by only one student at a time. A single web page can be accessed by millions. Typos and misinformation in print materials are there until the next printing. Typos or erroneous information on web pages are easily remedied in a matter of minutes.
- 13. Many educational hunts are posted on the Internet permitting users worldwide to use the activity. Hunts can also be crafted in some word processing software and run from the individual computer desktop.
- 14. CyberHunts are different from a webquest since the emphasis is on facts and finding information while webquest is inquiry-oriented activity that demands that students go beyond fact-finding .
- 15. The following links contain information, lesson activities, tools and resources to use when exploring and/or creating Internet Scavenger Hunts: Scavenger Hunts for Kids Choose from readily made Scavenger Hunts for Kids. Education World Scavenger Hunts Organized by the Month Filamentality Use this FREE tool to make your own Scavenger Hunt or Search for pre-made ones TrackStar Use this FREE tool to make your own Scavenger Hunt or Search for pre-made ones
- 16. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scavenger_hunt http://EzineArticles.com/1555214 http://www.dciu.org/Page/875 http://www.vickiblackwell.com/hunts.html http://www.educationworld.com/a_lesson/archives/s cavenger_hunt.shtml http://trackstar.4teachers.org/trackstar/;jsessionid=5 F52F7274D75371B60894F1CF117D789 http://www.kn.pacbell.com/wired/fil/
View more >
Thanksgiving Internet Scavenger Hunt - Hundreds Of scavenger-hunt.org/.../2013/11/Thanksgiving-Internet-Scavenger-Hunt...
Internet Scavenger Hunt - ? Internet Scavenger Hunt: Poetic Devices ... Education World grants users
Scavenger hunt Shakespeare - Marian High hunt...William Shakespeare William Shakespeare Internet Scavenger HInternet Scavenger ... Biographical Background Go to ... Scavenger hunt
Texas Internet Scavenger Hunt - Stuchbery Internet Scavenger Hunt By Jennifer Dowell . Directions Save the PDF Scavenger hunt on the ... Britannica or Columbia Encyclopedia