retrofitting learning environments
Post on 06-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1.Retrofitting Learning Environments Carter F. Smith615-656-3505[email_address]www.carterfsmith.comfor Todays Hyper-Networked Students
- Why retrofitting?
- Who are our students - what do they want?
- Technology Assisted Learning
3. Why retrofitting? Emmy Award-winning ABC reality television series in which a family's house, including all rooms, exterior and landscaping, is made over by a team of builders and designers in 7 days while the family goes off on vacation. 4. Retrofitting Learning Environments
- . . . the ongoing practice of radically redesigning learning environments, including all participants, so learning is not stifled, hampered, or otherwise limited by unnecessary restrictions of space, time, topic, or any combination thereof.
5. Who are our students-- what do they want? 6. Members of the Net Generation
- Not based on age
- Information in moments
- Higher Ed vs. Google
7. Technology Assistance
- Learning Management Systems
- Asynchronous Opportunities
- Live Engagement Opportunities
- Group Engagement Opportunities
- Social/Business Networking Sites
8. Learning Management Systems
- Element K
9. Asynchronous Opportunities
- Private messages
- Message boards
10. Live Engagement Opportunities
- Instant Messaging
- Voice Call
- Conference Call
- Video Conference
- Event Attendance
11. Group Engagement Strategies
- Mailing list & forum posting
- Requires minimal time investment
- Reaches large numbers of people
- Usually builds diversity, stimulates thinking
- Easy to set up and use
- Personal vs. corporate voice
- Blogs create networks
- Publishing online
- Online publications / web sites
- Content communities
12. Social/Business Networking Sites
- Live Mocha
13. Student Benefits
- Collaborative Learning
- Established Social Networks and Techniques
- Creativity and Imagination
14. Professor Benefits
- Joy of learning something new.
- Envious looks from your peers.
- Less time to communicate more.
- Equipping an entire generationwith the tools and strategiesneeded to rule the world.
15. Bonus Benefits
- Catalyze the learning process . . . personally and professionally .
- Capitalizing onstudentuse of social networks.
- Strategically stay in contact with graduates.
- Students establish and maintain valued connections.
16. Cost for use
- Email - $0
- Social Networking site - $0
- IM account - $0
- Skype/Conference Call - $0
- Text messaging on mobile phone $?
- Depends on provider
- Communication with students . . .
- Michael Powell, FCC Chairman, after using Skype
Change is inevitable 18. Retrofitting Learning Environments Carter F. Smith615-656-3505[email_address] www.carterfsmith.com