punctuating quotations and writing dialogue in narrative writing
out of 25
Post on 17-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThis slideshow review the procedures for punctuating quotations and writing dialogue. For dialogue, I have used comic strips to model the idea of descriptive dialogue and adding a sense of movement to a narrative. Graphics include Star Wars and Hagar the Horrible.
- 1. Tag lines dialogue Jake stated , The Star Wars movies are really exciting .
- 2. Tag lines of dialogue The Star Wars movies are really exciting , Jake stated .
- 3. Questions Did you see Return of the Jedi ? Jake asked intently . -ORJake asked intently , Did you see Return of the Jedi ?
- 4. Exclamations The special effects were amazing ! Jake exclaimed . -ORJake exclaimed , The special effects were amazing !
- 5. Divided Quotations When Revenge of the Sith is released , Jake asked eagerly , do you want to see it together ?
- 6. Writing Dialogue
- 7. Change paragraphs when the speaker changes
- 8. Nurse , who is my next patient ? asked Dr. Zook irritably . Nurse Olga replied , Hagar the Horrible .
- 9. Dr. Zook inquired , Whats his complaint ? He has a sore back , she replied .
- 10. Examining the patients records, Dr. Zook walked down the hallway to the waiting room. Morning, Hagar , he said casually . Morning, Dr. Zook , boomed Hagar .
- 11. My nurse tells me you have a sore back , stated Dr. Zook . Thats right , moaned Hagar . The doctor inquired , How long have you had a sore back ? Since I returned from raiding England , Hagar mumbled sheepishly .
- 12. Hmmmbefore I examine you , Dr. Zook said , let me ask you a question. Have you ever tried acupuncture ? With four arrows lodged in his back, Hagar sarcastically replied , Yes. Just recently .
- 13. Change paragraphs when the setting or action changes
- 14. As his crew was unloading their bulky cargo from the Viking ship, Hagar demanded , Stow the loot aboard, men ! Ill be back shortly . With his sword and shield in hand, Hagar strode confidently into the village. When he came to Ye Olde Dress Shoppe, he mumbled , I have one more thing to do before I return home !
- 15. Hagar entered the shop and hailed the clerk , Morning ! While Im here in England, Id like to get a dress for my wife ! Hand outstretched, the clerk replied cheerily , Certainly sir! What kind of dress would you like ?
- 16. Im looking for a blue short-sleeved dress, size 48 , Hagar requested . I have that style ! replied the clerk , eager to please his customer .
- 17. Change paragraphs when a new idea is introduced
- 18. Then quickly ,the clerks tone changed. But, say arent you Hagar the Horrible ? he yelled accusatorily . Thinking this was a compliment, Hagar beamed, Why yes, I am . To Hagars surprise, the clerk darted behind the counter, and grabbed a sword . Youre not taking the dress without a fight ! cursed the clerk while brandishing his sword menacingly . My reputation follows me everywhere ! Hagar sighed disgustedly to himself .
- 19. Now its your turn. Choose one of the following and write dialogue, just as I showed you!
- 20. OR-----I have some other Hagar the Horrible strips. OR-----Choose a comic strip of your own. It must be a multiple frame strip just like the examples. Please check with me to make sure your strip has enough detail to complete this project.
View more >
Effective Writing Structure Thesis, Assertions, Quotations, Introductions, and Conclusions from Laying the Foundation
Today’s checklist Take up homework on punctuating quotations Creation myth group presentations Common elements among creation myths ◦ Placemat and fishbone