protein supplement as a dietary supplement
out of 24
Post on 29-Jan-2018
Embed Size (px)
- 1. (Assistant Professor)
- 2. INTRODUCTIONINTRODUCTION Nowadays dietary supplements are used widely. Among those dietary supplements protein supplements are mostly used by the people.
- 3. DEFINITION OF DIETARYDEFINITION OF DIETARY SUPPLEMENTSSUPPLEMENTS A product (other than tobacco) intended to supplement the diet that bears or contains one or more of the following dietary ingredients: o Vitamins o Minerals o Herbs or other botanicals o Amino acids o Concentrate, metabolite, constituent, extract or combination of above listed ingredients
- 4. DISTINGUISHED FROMDISTINGUISHED FROM DRUGSDRUGS Drug = article intended to diagnose, cure, mitigate, treat, or prevent disease Both intended to affect structure and function of body Drug must undergo FDA approval after clinical studies to determine effectiveness and safety Dietary supplements = no pre- market testing
- 5. DISTINGUISHED FROMDISTINGUISHED FROM FOODSFOODS Foods not intended to affect structure and function Dietary supplements intended only to supplement diet Not represented for use as conventional food Not intended as sole item of a meal or the diet
- 6. BASICS OF PROTEINBASICS OF PROTEIN Protein is one of three macronutrients used by the body for energy. These macronutrients include protein, carbs and fats. Series of amino acids linked together like a chain. The links that hold these amino acids together are known as peptide links.
- 7. FUNCTIONS OFFUNCTIONS OF PROTEINPROTEIN Keep a balanced pH level in the blood. Muscle tissue preservation during dieting or cuts. Energy source. Build and maintain proper hormone levels. Necessary for chemical reactions to take place. Keep the bodys immune system functioning properly. For proper regulation of the bodys fluid balance.
- 8. PROTEIN FOODPROTEIN FOOD Protein food are divided into two categories: Complete protein: Food containing all essential amino acids. Eg: Animal proteins (meat). Incomplete protein: Food lacking several essential amino acids. Eg: vegetables
- 9. TYPES OF PROTIEN SOURCESTYPES OF PROTIEN SOURCES Slow Digesting: Provides a long term stream of protein and amino acids by keeping a positive nitrogen balance for longer time. Fast Digesting: Helps in regulating bodily nitrogen levels. Eg: whey protein. Energy Bar: Provide a quick, healthy and instant energy .
- 10. TYPES OF PROTEINTYPES OF PROTEIN Whey protein- fast absorbing, support lean muscle, great post-workout Soya protein- low fat, low cholesterol, and vegetarian source Hydrolyzed whey- digested and absorbed faster then whey Whey isolate- low fat, low carb, Egg protein- high quality lactose-free source (toned physique) Micellar casein- slow digesting great before bed
- 11. HOW MUCH PROTEIN DOHOW MUCH PROTEIN DO WE NEED?WE NEED? The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for adults is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. Those involved with intense exercise, or individuals looking to add muscle mass, should consume at least twice the RDAs recommended minimums.
- 12. PROTEINPROTEIN SUPPLEMENTSSUPPLEMENTS Defined as protein and nutrition sources, and food products, that are utilized to assist to achieve their desired daily protein intake requirements. Generally contain more then 20 to 30 grams of protein per serving, and are fortified with vitamins and minerals. Protein supplements also come in numerous flavors.
- 13. TYPES OF PROTEINTYPES OF PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTSSUPPLEMENTS Isolate- are 90% pure protein. Concentrate- is not as pure as an isolate, and generally contains 70 to 85% of the protein source. Blends- is combination of various protein sources and purity levels.
- 14. Weight Gainer- are high calorie protein powders need for rapid weight gain and can be used as meals. Meal Replacements- are considered to be entire meals containing a formulated nutritional and macronutrient blend. Recovery- contains any number of additional, non-protein supplement products meant to aid in post-workout recovery.
- 15. BENEFITS OF USINGBENEFITS OF USING PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTSPROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS Generally a more complete and balanced protein source. No Refrigeration & very portable. Can save our money. Proper protein timing is essential to maximize muscle gains. Provide us with the ability to have a fast digesting or slow digesting protein meal
- 16. Often fortified with vitamins and minerals, making them a multi-dimensional protein food. Weight gainers offer high calorie foods that are easily broken down, and less filling. Certain protein supplements have a higher biological value as real foods. Protein foods are very thermogenic. For this reason, a high protein diet boosts metabolism and aids in fat loss.
- 17. WHO USES PROTEINWHO USES PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS?SUPPLEMENTS? Bodybuilders Athletes Dieters Weight gainers
- 18. HOW PROTEINHOW PROTEIN SUPPLEMENT HELPS INSUPPLEMENT HELPS IN MUSCLE GROWTHMUSCLE GROWTH Helps to increase lean muscle mass. To maximize the repairing of muscle tissue, one must maintain a protein positive nitrogen balance. In addition, other vital bodily functions are compromised, such as hormone regulation and blood pH balance. Frequent protein feedings ensure a steady stream of amino acids and help to maintain a
- 19. WHEN TO CONSUME FORWHEN TO CONSUME FOR MAXIMUM RESULTS?MAXIMUM RESULTS? In the morning and after walking: Fast digesting protein powder Slow digesting protein powder e.g. whey protein drink with a solid protein source such as eggs and cheese. Pre Workout meal: slow digesting protein powder that will keep the body in a positive nitrogen balance as you workout.
- 20. Post Workout: as same as in the morning. Between Meals: Consists of slow digesting proteins, such as casein or egg protein. Night Time: Consists of slow digesting protein supplement before bed e.g. Casein protein is a good choice.
- 21. SIDE EFFECTSSIDE EFFECTS High protein intake may displace carbohydrate in the diet possibly affecting performance. Increased urinary calcium loss. Contribute to dehydration. Due to the stress on the kidneys, individuals with kidney disease should avoid high protein diets.
- 22. CONCLUSIONCONCLUSION Protein supplements are becoming very popular gradually. Some protein supplements which are available in India are- Endura Mass, Accu Mass, Amways Protein Powder etc. Nowadays it became a part of daily diet, not only for the body builders but also for the common peoples as it provides a definite amount of protein daily basis.
- 23. REFERENCEREFERENCE Biolo, G., K. D. Tipton, S. Klein, and R. R. Wolfe. An abundant supply of amino acids enhances the metabolic effect of exercise on muscle protein. Am. J.Physiol. 273 (Endocrinol. Metab. 36): E122-E129, 1997. Carraro, F., A. Naldini, J. M. Weber, and R. R. Wolfe. Alanine kinetics in humans during low-intensity exercise. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 26: 348-353,1994. Tipton, K. D., A. A. Ferrando, S. M. Phillips, D. Doyle, Jr., and R. R.
View more >
Draft Voluntary Guideline: Dietary Supplement Voluntary Guideline for the Dietary Supplement Industry…
E-COMMERCE, DIETARY SUPPLEMENT REGULATIONS AND DIETARY SUPPLEMENT REGULATIONS AND A FRACTURED INDUSTRY ... 12,500 products;
Beyond Carb Counting: Dietary Fat & Protein in T1D ?· Beyond Carb Counting: Dietary Fat & Protein in…
Research Article Effects of a Dietary Supplement Research Article Effects of a Dietary Supplement with
The Efficacy of SPORT as a Dietary Supplement on ... ?· The Efficacy of SPORTTM as a Dietary Supplement…
?· residues while minor quanfties of protein, pectin, ... Besides being used as dietary fiber supplement…
Dietary Supplement Component Supplier ?· The Dietary Supplement Component Supplier Qualification is…
Comparison of Supplemental Protein vs Dietary Proteins ?· Comparison of Supplemental Protein vs Dietary…
The Dietary Supplement Protandim R Decreases Plasma ?· 2011-05-19 · The Dietary Supplement Protandim…