proliferation in hardware lesson
of 35 /35
Embed Size (px)
- Unit G322: Institutions & Audience (Film) Starter Beat the Buzzer YOU MUST attempt to beat the person by pressing the Buzzer first when Mr Crafts OR another student asks a question First to 3 wins! YOU SHOULD NOT shout out answers and if you have a bit of a brain fart and forget the answer pass it over to someone else on the team! http://www.te acherled.com/r esources/quiz/ quizload.html
- AS Media Studies Exam Lesson The Proliferation in hardware and content for institutions and audiences Monday 6th January 2014 Unit G322: Key Concepts Exam
- Why? Aims & Objectives Re-cap prior learning of some of the content we have covered so far for Section B of the Unit G322 Exam Establish some of the different types of hardware available to Institutions and Audience. Establish what impact certain new media technologies are having on our consumption habits. Review the learning. So YOU are prepared and ready for the exam on May 23rd!
- Starter Re-cap some key areas YOU MUST write down the missing key term/statistic when it appears on the board. YOU SHOULD be prepared to discuss this further to the rest of the class.
- Unit G322: Institutions & Audience (Film) February 2010 Nick Roddick Technology is not only changing the b_________ of film making, but also the i________ of s____ usiness mportance tory
- Which well known UK Film and Television Institution produced A Field in England (2013)? Multi-Platform Day and Date release What term is used to desribe the method of release for this film?
- Film 4OD and iTunes (VOD) How many transactions? 1,200 Transactions What is the term used to describe Film Four and iTunes relationship? Synergy
- "We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. Our obligation is to make m______. (Don Simpson Producer of Top Gun) American Culture In the 1980s (2007) Graham Thompson Edinburgh University Press Unit G322: Institutions & Audience (Film) oney
- Audiences have diminished e__________ (Mark Kermode)xpectations
- Unit G322: Institutions & Audience (Film) Key phrase: Experience On your whiteboards, YOU MUST list as many formats of hardware a film can be distributed and exhibited on.
- Formats of Focus We are going to focus on the following examples through Case Studies: DVD/Blu-Ray Cinema VOD
- DVD/Blu-Ray http://ncrafts.wordpress.com/unit-g322-key-concepts-section-b-film- industry/section-b-film-industry-by-the-numbers-bfi/ ALL of the information we are going to cover in the lesson (Statistics wise) is available via. The link above. Going in to the exam with facts and figures, alongside HOW the case study films are PDME, is CRUCIAL!
- DVD/Blu-Ray In 2012, feature film video sales and rentals in the UK generated just under 1.2 billion. In 2012, 179 million videos in all categories were sold, down 14% on 2011. WHY? DVDs accounted for the majority of all categories of video sales (85% by value and 91% by volume) and Blu- ray disc sales accounted for 14.8%. WHY?
- DVD/Blu-Ray Conclusion: A lot of the Big Six (Warner Bros. Disney, Universal, 20th Century Fox) control the distribution of the Home Video Market.
- DVD/Blu-Ray WHY is The Angels Share (2012 Sixteen Films) NOT on this list?
- DVD/Blu-Ray Will A Field in England (2013 Film Four) be on the 2013 list?
- DVD/Blu-Ray What is the common theme in BOTH of these tables?
- DVD/Blu-Ray Key terms: Horizontal and Vertical Integration Studios that are in the Big 6 have the power and control to dominate all sectors of the Film consumption market.
- AS Media Studies Exam Lesson The Proliferation in hardware and content for institutions and audiences Monday 13th January 2014 Unit G322: Key Concepts Exam
- AS Media Studies Mock Exam This will take place sometime week beginning: Monday 3rd February 2014 It will be 2 Hours in length and will require you to complete a Section A and B Question In the exam it is recommended you spend 45 minutes answering EACH question.
- Homework Man of Steel (2012 Warner Bros) When was it released on DVD in the UK? What was the time differential (Weeks) between the cinema/Dvd release? Due: Next Lesson TODAY!
- DVD/Blu-Ray In 201_, feature film video sales and rentals in the UK generated just under 1._ _illion. In 201_, 179 million videos in all categories were sold, down 1_% on 201_. WHY? DVDs accounted for the majority of all categories of video sales (_ _% by value and 91% by volume) and Blu- ray disc sales accounted for 1_.8%. WHY? 2 2 b 2 4 1 85 4
- Cinema Taken 2 (2012 20th Century Fox) and SkyFalls (2012 Sony) release in October 2012 ensured admissions were up 24% on 2011s figures. WHY could this have been the case?
- http://www.dcpinfo.com The link above WILL take you to a detailed outline of the difference in costs for 35mm and for DCP (Digital Cinema Package), which studios such as the Big 6 and other Hollywood Majors capitalise on in order to saturate the Global market. However, smaller Indie studios (Sixteen Films), may see this as a threat to their values of producing film using traditional methods. DCP $1500-$3000 (depending on runtime and options), with additional copies running about $170-$300 each HOW much does a 35mm package cost in comparison YOU MUST visit the website and find out!
- Cinema At the end of 2012, the UK had 3,817 screens, 50 more than 2011, in 769 cinemas. In 2012, 96% of all screens in the UK were located in town or city centres, edge of centre, out of town or suburban locations. Only released in 14 screens this is known as a limited release.
- Cinema More than 90% of all screens in the UK were equipped for digital projection. Would this have effect the success of The Angels Share (2012 Sixteen Films)? Why?
- Cinema He suggests that, at some point soon, a slew of these mega-productions will flop all at once and Hollywood will be forced into dramatic change. That change will include: movie-going becoming a rarer, more special and more expensive occasion; movies being released in all formats, everywhere, at the same time; and most "movies" coming to us via online services. This, the pair suggest, will mean a bright future for movie-makers with a particular vision they will be able to make a living out of globally aggregated niche audiences. Steven Spielberg
- Cinema Has this film become a catalyst for change in the film industry?
- VOD Case Study examples The combined value of the television-based and online VoD film market was 243 million in 2012, up from 55 million in 2011 (an increase of 123%). Subscription makes up around 31.5% of this:
- VOD Conclusion: 29% of consumers paid to access VoD content; 71% of users watched online content for FREE. Piracy and Illegal downloads is believed to cost the Film Industry an estimated $58 Billion in 2012 through loss of IP (Intellectual Property). Link to Multi-Platform Day-and-Date releases combatting this. Taken 2 (2012 20th Century Fox) ONLY 16 Weeks between the release of the film at the box-office and on DVD. This resulted in $30 million in DVD sales 68% of the Production budget alone
- VOD Case Study examples Another example of a Day-and-date release in the UK Released in 50 Public Cinemas (which Curzon control theres one in Richmond). Box-Office: 418k Available to view on CHC (Curzon Home Cinema) Also available on: Sky Store A Late Quartet (2012 Opening Night Productions)
- Homework Man of Steel (2012 Warner Bros) When was it released on DVD in the UK? What was the time differential (Weeks) between the cinema/Dvd release? Due: Next Lesson Monday 13th January
- What you have learnt today? YOU MUST divide your whiteboard into 3 columns: DVD/Blu-Ray Cinema VOD Write down x1 statistic/area you have learnt today. YOU COULD write down x2.