pride & prejudice (presentation)
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPresented as Partial Fullfillment of the Requirements to Obtain the Sarjana Pendidikan Degree in English Department
- 1. Aspects of Personality inPride and Prejudiceby Jane Austen: A Psychological Approach It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. -opening line Presented by:Tienny Makrus 0712150010 Presented as Partial Fullfillment of the Requirements to Obtain theSarjana PendidikanDegree in English Department
2. Chapter I Introduction
- Background of the Study
- Tounderstand thepersonality aspects of the characters in it.
- To know British society in the early nineteenth century.
- Problems Identification
- 1. How Jane Austen describes her characters?
- 2. How does the main character's personality aspects according to psychological approach?
- Problem Limitation
- The psychology of the main character in this novel as a study of psychological approach.
- Problem Formulation
- How the characterizations are displayed?
- How does the main character's personality in terms of the psychology approach?
- Objective of the Study
- To describe characterizations are displayed in the novel.
- To describe the personality of the main character in terms of the psychology approach.
- Benefits of the Study
- For researcher
- For readers
- For students of the Faculty of Teacher Training and English Education
4. Chapter II Theoretical Review
- The Essence of Character
- Accordingto Endraswara(2008:179), characters are figures whichare as wellon measuresof psychological.
- According to Nurgiyantoro (2000: 176-177), the main character is the preferred figure in the novel concerned.
- The Essence of Psychology
- Psychologyis thesciencerelated tomentalprocesses, bothnormal andabnormal, andits influenceon behavior; knowledgeaboutsymptoms andmentalactivities. (KBBI)
- Psychology of literature is the study of literature that sees the work as a mental activity (Endraswara,2003: 96).
- Personality is a pattern of relatively permanent traits and unique characteristics that give both consistency and individuality to a persons behavior. (Feist and Feist, 2010: 4)
- Freud divided the personality aspects into the Id (unconscious), the ego and the super-ego (both are partly conscious and partly unconscious).
- This analysis is using textual approach that examines the psychology of the main character in a literary work by using psychoanalytic theory of personality.
Pride & Prejudice Fitzwilliam Darcy Elizabeth Bennet 6. Chapter III Methodology
- Research method : qualitative research.
- Object of research : personality aspects of the main character, Elizabeth Bennet.
- Data sources : the novel, supporting books or texts.
- Data collection technique : read and observed the novel.
- Research procedures : build the structure theory of fiction, read the novel, analyzed the main character, found other supporting books or texts, and interpreted it.
Mr. & Mrs. Bennet Bingley & Jane Lydia & Wickham Pride & Prejudice 7. Chapter IV A. Analysis
- Source Data Description
- Novel Synopsis
- Description of the Study Result:
- Id (family background and the need of the survival)
- Ego (feelings of frustration and seeing through lies)
- Superego (accepting the offer and happy marriage)
Lizzy Charlotte & Collins JaneMary Kitty Lydia 8. Chapter IV B. Data Interpretation
- The combination of Darcy and Elizabeth is gave an obvious literary idealistic style. It is not difficult to find that their emotional entanglements are occurred between the love need and self-esteem from psychoanalysis, and eventually, love harvests its fruit from mutual respectmarriage. Although the ego seems pitiful under the harsh conditions of the id and under the abusive practices of the super-ego seems pitiful, but the awareness of the id that is the need to survive, and super-consciousness of love, finally has to be reflected through rationality and the good quality.
9. Chapter V Conclusion & Suggestion
- Austendescribes ElizabethBennets character successfully which is very different from other figures in literature and Freuds psychoanalysis helps me in analyzing aspects of the personality of Elizabeth Bennet.
Georgiana Darcy 10. End
- My privilege is completing this study after obtaining the full guidance of the best lecturers.
- Jakarta, 16 August 2011