out of 11
Post on 05-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. If you cant make it good, at least make it look good.Bill Gates Roman Majda
- 2. * Microsoft is a pioneer and a leader in computer technology.* Best known for creating the Windows operating system and Office software* Corporation has become a major player in the industry and continues to pave the information superhighway.
- 3. *William H. Gates, a Harvard dropout, founded Microsoft in 1975 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I didnt just drop out, I went to found Microsoft Bill Gates to Forbes* He teamed up with Paul Allen and began writing programming for personal computers.* Microsoft originally started as Micro-Soft and it means microcomputer and software (hyphen removed in 1976)
- 4. Until then, the use of computers was reserved for universities and large corporations (too complicated and too expensive to use)* First customer: Micro Instrumentation and Telemetry Systems (MITS) bought Altair BASIC, written by Allen and Gates while Gates was in college* In 1981, they bought the QDOS ($50 000) and then in collaboration with IBM, they released it renamed MS- DOS as the first user-friendly 16-bit operating system :)* The first version of Windows was launched in November 1985* 1st virus to infect Windows (WinVer 1.4) was unleashed in 1992
- 5. With something to offer everyone - from the corporate CEO in needof business solutions to the teenager playing Xbox after school-thecorporation has expanded and is no longer just a worldwide leaderin computer programming but a major player in the technologyindustry as a whole.
- 6. * Microsoft is the worlds largest computer software company,* 10-person board of directors runs the company, with Steven Ballmer as the CEO and Maria Klawe as president.* The board is made up of 5 committees including: * the audit committee * the compensation committee * the finance committee * the governance and nominating committee * the antitrust compliance committee.* In addition to this board, Microsoft is made up of an executive team to handle leadership and the corporate staff council, which oversees staff functions throughout the company
- 7. * Gates stepped down as chief executive officer of Microsoft in January 2000. * He remained as chairman and created the position of chief software architect.* In June 2006, Gates announced that he would be part- time worker at Microsoft and full-time at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.* He gradually transferred his duties to: * Ray Ozzie, chief software architect * Craig Mundie, chief research and strategy officer.* Gates last full-time day at Microsoft was June 27, 2008. He remains at Microsoft as non-executive chairman.* Paul Allen retired from MS in 1983 as a result of his battle with Hodgkins disease
- 8. * Microsoft has operation centers and subsidiaries all over the world and employs more than 95,000 people who work across 32,404,796 square feet of MS presmises* Headcount has nearly tripled since 1999 and MS employees in 1978 half are located in the United States.* The largest division of the company is the business group, employing 46,000 workers.* Only 25 % workers are female* The average Microsoft employee, Softie as they call themselves, is a 38-year-old with the average salary for a developer coming in 30 years after legendary at $106,000 photo
- 9. * Mix business with pleasure: Paul Allen and Bill are childhood frieds Steve Ballmer was a Harvard classmate of Bill and was MSs 24th employee Bill Gates wrote a class scheduling program for his school. He tweaked the programs code so that he was placed in classes with mostly female students ;) Bill married MS employee Melinda French* Total revenue: first year $16,000 and 4 years later $1,000,000* MS made Bill a billionaire by age 31* Bill Gates was knighted by Queen of England in 2005* MS has more that 10 000 patents and spends almost half of its legal budget on patent cases* MS is one of the biggest corporate collectors of contemporary artwork they have over 5,000 pieces* Temporary MS employees are given an email address with a dash before the @ and permanent employees refer to them as Dash Thrash
- 10. 2009 was the first time in 23 years that MS reported a quarterly drop in revenue Microsofts stock has split nine times since the company went public in 1986 Microsoft has acquired over 150 companies in its history The $2.8 billion in grants from the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation totalled the GDP of more than 25 countries worldwide.
View more >