presentation on procter and gamble
Post on 23-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
2. THE PROCTER AND GAMBLE COMPANY
3. HEADQUATER IN CICINNATI,OHIO,USA
Procter & Gamble Co.
(P&G, NYSE:PG) is a Fortune 500, Americanmultinational corporation headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio, that manufactures a wide range of consumer goods. As of 2008, P&G is the 8th largest corporation in the world by market capitalization and 14th largest US company by profit.
5. The board of directors of Procter & Gamble currently has thirteen members:
Robert A. McDonald
Ralph Snyderman M.D.
W. J. McNerney Jr.
Management and staff
6. Johnathan Rodgers
Rajat Gupta(only indian)
William Procter, a candlemaker, and
James Gamble, a soapmaker, immigrants from England and Ireland, respectively, who had settled earlier in Cincinnati, who met as they both married sisters, Olivia and Elizabeth Norris,formed the company initially. Alexander Norris, their father-in law, called a meeting in which he persuaded his new sons-in-law to become business partners. On October 31, 1837, as a result of the suggestion, Procter & Gamble was born.
8. In 1859, sales reached one million dollars. By this point, approximately eighty employees worked for Procter & Gamble. During the American Civil War, the company won contracts to supply the Union Army with soap and candles.
9. In addition to the increased profits experienced during the war, the military contracts introduced soldiers from all over the country to Procter & Gamble's products.
10. In the 1880s, Procter & Gamble began to market a new product, an inexpensive soap that floats in water. The company called the soap Ivory.
11. Company Overview
With over $83 billion in sales across the world in 2008 and 24 brands with $1 billion of sales each,P&G is a global giant for household and personal goods. P&G divides its business into three Global Business Units:-
12. Beauty (33% of sales, 37% of net income):
The Beauty GBU includes all hair and skin products, medications, razors, electric shavers, and batteries. Proctor & Gamble's global market share in blades and razors is 70%, primarily centered around its Mach3, Fusion, Venus, and Gillette brands.
13. Health and Well-Being (23% of sales, 25% of net income):
The Health and Well-Being GBU provides oral care, feminine health, pharmaceuticals, snacks, coffee,and pet care products.
oral care, the company has the number two market share position at 20% globally.
In potato chips and coffee, the company holds a market share of approximately 10% and 33%.
14. Household Care (46% of sales, 42% of net income):
The Household Care GBU manufactures a wide range of products from snack food to laundry detergent to diapers. The company's baby care market share in 2008 was 29%.
Procter & Gamble Co. was the world's top advertiser in 2007, spending almost $9.4 billion worldwide. The company outspent its largest competitor, Unilever, the second-highest advertiser, by almost two-to-one (Unilever spent $5.2 billion).
15. According to the Nielsen Company, in 2007 P&G spent more on U.S. advertising than any other company; the $2.62 billion spent by P&G is almost twice as much as that spent by General Motors, the next company on the Nielsen list.P&G was named 2008 Advertiser of the Year by Cannes International Advertising Festival.
Effective July 1, 2007, the company's operations are categorized into three "Global Business Units" with each Global Business Unit divided into "Business Segments" according to the company's March 2009 earnings release.
17. Household Care
Baby Care and Family Care segment
Fabric Care and Home Care segment
Health and Well-Being
Health Care segment
Snacks, Coffee, and Pet Care segment
18. Procter & Gamble produced and sponsored the first radio soap operas in the 1930s
When the medium switched to television in the 1950s and 1960s, most of the new serials.were sponsored and produced by the company
The serials The Young and the Restless and As the World Turns are currently broadcast on CBS and are still partially sponsored by Procter & Gamble
19. These past serials were produced by Procter & Gamble:
The Brighter Day
The Edge of Night
The First Hundred Years
From These Roots
20. Guiding Light
Lovers and Friends
Our Private World
Search for Tomorrow
Young Doctor Malone
21. 2008 SEGMENT INFORMATION
22. In October 2008, P&G was named one of "Canada's Top 100 Employers" by Mediacorp Canada Inc., and was featured in Maclean'snewsmagazine. Later that month, P&G was also named one of Greater Toronto's Top Employers, which was announced by the Toronto Star newspaper.
23. Procter & Gamble brands
Billion dollar brands
24. 25. Ariel is a brand of laundry detergent/liquid available in numerous forms and scents.
Actonel is a brand of the osteoporosis drug risedronate co-marketed by Sanofi-Aventis. Bounty is a brand of paper towel sold in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom (rebranded to "Plenty" in the UK after being sold to SCASvenskaCellulosaAktiebolaget).
Braun is a small-appliances manufacturer specializing in electric razors, coffeemakers, toasters, and blenders.
Crest is a brand of toothpaste.
26. Dawn is a brand of dishwashing detergent.
Downy/Lenor is a brand of fabric softener.
Duracell is a brand of batteries and flashlights.
Fusion is a brand of men's wet shave razors and is the quickest P&G brand to have reached $1 billion in annual sales.
Gain is a brand of laundry detergent and fabric softeners.
Gillette is a safety razor manufacturer.
Head & Shoulders is a brand of shampoo body wash, and deodorant.
27. Old Spice is a brand of aftershave and shaving cream.
Ivory is a soap.
Nice 'n Easy is a hair coloring product.
Olay is a brand of women's skin care products.
Oral-B is a brand of toothbrush.
Pampers is a brand of disposable diaper
28. Pantene is a brand of hair care products (conditioners/styling aids).
Prilosec OTC is a brand of heartburn medicine co-marketed by AstraZeneca.
Pringles is a brand of potato chips.
Puffs is a brand of facial tissues
Secretis a brand of antiperspirant and deodorant.
29. TAG is a deodorant and body spray.
Tide is a brand of laundry detergent.
Vicks is a brand name of over-the-counter medicines (Formula 44, Sinex, NyQuil/DayQuil)
Wella is a brand name of hair care products (shampoo, conditioner, styling, and hair color). Whisper is a brand of pantyliners sold primarily in Asian markets.
30. Crest Pro-Health teeth staining and loss of taste
In October 2007, a class action lawsuit was filed in the State of Georgia alleging that many users of Crest Pro-Health mouthwash suffered stained teeth and loss of their sense of taste as a result. Procter & Gamble contends that these side effects occur in only three percent of users. The suit seeks to include disclosure warning users of these side effects on product packaging
31. Environmental record
Researchers at the University of Massachusetts Amherst have identified Procter & Gamble as the 52nd-largest corporate producer of air pollution in the United States, with roughly 350,000 pounds of toxic chemicals released annually into the air. Major pollutants indicated by the study were manganese compounds, sulfuric acid, epichlorohydrin, and bromine.
32. 33. Animal testing
P&G conducts research using animals to demonstrate safety or efficacy of their raw materials and products.This has led to a worldwide campaign to raise public awareness and to stop P&G being involved in animal testing. The campaign is led by Uncaged Campaigns in the UK and Stop Animal Exploitation Now in the USA.In 2002 P&G was recognized by the Humane Society of the United States for "advancing alternatives to animal testing.
34. STEPS TO PROTECT ENVIRONMENT
In 2007 Procter & Gamble pledged to reduce their carbon emissions, mainly through reduction in packaging along with decreases in water and energy use. The stated emission reduction goal was ten percent by 2012.
35. PG COMPETITORS
36. Procter & Gamble is one of the founding members of Carbon Disclosure Project's Supply Chain Leadership Council. Procter & Gamble is one of twelve global companies on the council whose first course of action is to distribute a survey to suppliers on the topic of greenhouse gas emissions and climate change. Since the first phase of the project, more corporations have joined the effort. The council's overall goal is to encourage reductions in emissions down the supply chain.
37. CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
38. Procter & Gamble has, for several years, funded a recycling school in the slums of Cairo, Egypt. Many of the people in the village of Manshiyet Nasser collect garbage and have done so for decades. Procter & Gamble along with UNESCO has started the Mokattam Non-Formal Education Project. The project teaches the people of the village about the business and economics of recycling and how to properly recycle plastic.
39. In December 2008, The US Environmental Protection Agency's Design For Environment program awarded P&G its highest level of recognition, Champion, for P&G's work in devel