present simple or present continuous!
Post on 14-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
- PRESENT SIMPLE
3. Affirmative sentences: We use theinfinitiveof the verb. In the3 rdperson singular(he, she, it) we put an-s at the end of the infinitive. I/we/you/theyplayfootball. He/she/itplaysfootball. FORM 4. Negative sentences : We use the auxiliarydoor does (for the3 rdperson singular ) and the negative particlenot . I/we/you/theydonot play football. He/she/itdoes notplay football. 5. Questions : We use the auxiliarydoor does (for the3 rdperson singular ) and change the word order (auxiliary subject verb) DoI/we/you/they play football? Doeshe/she/it play football? 6. a)Add sfor most verbs work - works, buy - buys, ride - rides, return - returns b.)Add es for words that end in ch , - s, - sh , - x , or z . watch - watches, pass - passes, rush - rushes, relax - relaxes, buzz - buzzes c.)Change the yto i and add eswhen the base form ends in a consonant + y . study - studies, hurry - hurries, dry - driesDonotchange the ywhen the base form ends in a vowel + y . Add s play - plays, enjoy - enjoys d.) A few verbs haveirregular forms . be - is, do - does, go- goes, have - has SPELLING RULES FOR THE PRESENT SIMPLE 7. Use the present simple for: -Routines and habits . e.g. Maria smokes -Permanent actions . e.g. Pedro lives in Seville -Current facts or truths . e.g. The earth is round USE 8.
- PRESENT CONTINUOUS
9. Affirmative sentences: We use a form ofto be(am, are or is), the infinitive of the verb and the endinging . Iamplay ingvolleyball. He/she/itisplay ingvolleyball.We/you/theyareplay ingvolleyball. FORM 10. Negative sentences : We use the negative particlenotafter the verbto beand then the infinitive + ing . Iam notplay ingvolleyball. He/she/itisnotplay ingvolleyball.We/you/theyare notplay ingvolleyball. 11. Questions : We use the verbto beas the auxiliary and change the word order (auxiliary subject verb) AmI play ingvolleyball? Ishe/she/it play ingvolleyball?Arewe/you/they play ingvolleyball? 12. SPELLING RULES FOR THE PRESENT CONTINUOUS a.) Add ing to the base form of the verb. read - reading, stand - standing, jump - jumping b.) If a verb ends in a silent e ,drop the final - eand add ing . leave - leaving, take - taking, receive - receiving c.) In a one-syllable word, if the last three letters are consonant-vowel-consonant (CVC),double the last consonant before adding ing . sit - sitting, run - running, hop - hopping However, donotdouble the last consonant in word that end inw, x,ory . sew - sewing, fix - fixing, enjoy - enjoying 13. d.) In words of two or more syllables that end in a consonant-vowel-consonant combination,double the last consonantonly if the last syllable is stressed. admit - admitting, regret - regretting e.) If a verb ends in ie ,change the ietoybefore adding - ing . die - dying 14. Use the present continuous for: -Actions in progress at the moment of speaking . e.g. Maria is smoking right now - Future plans . e.g. Im travelling to London next weekend USE 15.
- ACTION AND
- NON-ACTION VERBS
- Action verbscan be used in the present simple and continuous butnon-action verbsarenotnormally usedin the present continuous
- Look! Peter ________ into the water.
- is jumping
- Once a week, I ________ to an art class at the college.
- am going
- Don't give Mary any cheese. She ________ it!
- is hating
- I ________ you're crazy!
- am thinking
- I ________ lunch in the cafeteria every day.
- am having
- I ________ to Toronto next Thursday. Do you want to come?
- am going
- David is rich he ________ a Mercedes.
- is driving
- Diana isn't Italian. I ________ she comes from France.
- am believing
- You won't find Jerry at home right now. He ________ in the library.
- is studying
- It ________ quite hard perhaps we shouldn't go out tonight.
- is snowing
20. GO ON PRACTICING AT HOME -http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/studyzone/330/grammar/simcon1.htm -http://www.usingenglish.com/quizzes/66.html -http://www.englisch-hilfen.de/en/exercises/tenses/simple_present_progressive2.htm -http://www.speakspeak.com/html/d3a001_grammar_beginners_present_simple_continuous.htm -http://a4esl.org/q/h/vm/sp_or_pc.html