present perfect simple and present perfect continuous
Post on 18-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPresent Perfect and Present Continuous
- 1. PRESENT PERFECT SIMPLE
2. He has travelled a lot or Hes travelled a lot Form : POSITIVEIhave (ve)Youhave (ve)Hehas (s)Shehas (s)+ past participleIthas (s)Wehave (ve)Youhave (ve)Theyhave(ve) 3. Have you written these books ? QUESTIONHaveIHaveyouHasheHasshe+ past participle? HasitHaveweHaveyouHavethey 4. They havent been to school NEGATIVEIhave not (havent)Youhave not (havent)Hehas not (hasnt)Shehas not (hasnt)+ past participle Ithas not (hasnt)Wehave not (havent)Youhave not (havent)Theyhave not (havent) 5. SHORT ANSWERS Yes ,I / you / we / they /havehe/ she / it has No,I / you / we / they/ havent he / she/ it hasnt Have you painted the room ?Has he brushed his teeth ? Yes, we have No, he hasnt 6. Use:
- We use the present perfect simple to talk about something
- that happened in the past and has a connection with the present
- He has had a problem with his computer
- (It means that he had a problem and it isnt still fixed)
- When we talk about actions or situations in the past without adefinite time
- He has lost his key
- When we give information about a recent event
- Spanish scientists have made important discoveries about cancer
- When we talk about things we have done until now
- I have painted ten pictures so far
- When we talk about experiences we have had in life:
- Have you been to China?
- No, I havent but Id love to
- With the following time expressions:
- EVER(alguna vez),NEVER(nunca)
- Have you ever flown in a hot air balloon?
- I haver never seen a ghost
- JUST(acabar de)
- He has just won a prize
- ALREADY( positive) (ya),YET( question, negative) (an, todava)
- I have already made the bed
- The class hasnt started yet
- He has done his homework for half an hour
- They have worked here since February
11. PRESENT PERFECTCONTINUOUS 12. He has been running for a long time or Hes been running for a long time Form : POSITIVEIhave (ve)been Youhave (ve)beenHehas (s)beenShehas (s)beenVerb+ -ing Ithas (s)beenWehave (ve)beenYouhave (ve)been Theyhave(ve)been 13. Have they been playing ? QUESTIONHaveIbeenHaveyoubeenHashebeenHasshebeenVerb+ -ing? HasitbeenHavewebeenHaveyoubeen Havetheybeen 14. She hasnt been having a good time NEGATIVEIhave not (havent)beenYouhave not (havent)beenHehas not (hasnt)been Shehas not (hasnt)beenIthas not (hasnt)beenVerb+ -ingWehave not (havent)beenYouhave not (havent)been Theyhave not (havent)been 15. SHORT ANSWERS Yes ,I / you / we / they /havehe/ she / it has No,I / you / we / they/ havent he / she/ it hasnt Have you been cooking?Has he been working? Yes, we have No, he hasnt 16. Use:
- We use the present perfect continuous to talk about actions
- or situations that started in the past and are still in progress
- He has been learning English for five years
- (He is still learning English)
- When we talk about actions or situations that have recently stopped
- butthey still have present results
- You are wet . Yes, It has been raining a lot !
- When we talk about repeated actions
- I have been sending him a lot of messages all day
- With How long questions
- How long has she been listening to music?
- Withthe following time expressions:
- -recently-lately-since-for-all day-all morning
- He has been driving lately
- I have been drawing since five oclock
- What have you been doing recently?
19. What is the differencebetween The Present Perfect Continuous 20. and the Present Perfect Simple?
- Theyhave been readinga book about witches
We are interested in the activity, the action has not finished
- Theyhave reada book about witches
We pay attention to the result of the activity. The action has finished 21. What is the differencebetween the Present Perfect 22. and the Past Simple?
- Hehas travelleda lot in his current job
This is a past action that comes up to the present. It is not finished
- Hetravelleda lot in his previous job
This is an action about the past.It is finished 23.
- Shehas beenan invalid all her life
She is still alive
- Shewasan invalidall her life
She is dead 24. Present perfectPast simple *We describe past events* We describe past eventsthat have a connection withthat finishedthe present time *Time expressions that*Time expressions thatcan be used: for, since, just,we use: for, in 2008,yet, before, already, ever,last night, yesterday, never, so far, over the lastago, in April, on Monday few yearsin April, at 5.30, when I wasa child 25. By Ana Concejero Pictures taken from http://bancoimagenes.isftic.mepsyd.es/