Post on 02-Nov-2014
Health & Medicine
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Psychogenic Amnesia
By: Kelsey and Kari
2. Our 3 Questions
1) Are there other names for this disorder?
2) Whats the difference between Psychogenic Amnesia and Amnesia?
3) What type of people are at higher risk?
3. Are there any other names for this disorder?
Global sudden loss of personal identity
Lasting a few hours to days
Situation Specific loss of memory occurs as a result of a severely stressful event
Common in cases of severe or repeated trauma
4. Whats the difference between Psychogenic Amnesia and Amnesia?
With dissociative amnesia the memories still exist but are deeply buried in the individuals mind and can not be recalled
Normal amnesia is caused by a head injury which damage was done to the brain
amnesia is physical disorder and not considered a mental disorder
5. What type of people are at higher risk?
Individuals who are at a great risk of getting psychogenic amnesia are people who have experienced a traumatic event.
Victims of domestic violence, sexual / physical abuse
Child abuse starting at a early age is linked to the disorder
6. Psychogenic amnesia falls under the category of dissociative disorders.
What are dissociative disorders?
Can be defined as: A condition which is often caused by trauma which a person disconnects from full awareness in order to block unpleasant realities or memories
- Extensive psychological stress
8.traumatic experiences 9.internal problems 10. major stressors 11.guilt 12. Drug use