place branding, auckland
Post on 18-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONAuckland's place branding project
- 1. DESTINATION AUCKLAND
Master in Tourism Management (VII Edition), IULM, Milan
Andrea Scacchioli, Davide Antonelli, Michael Leiter, Stefania Sossi
2. Population: 1,354,900 residents
11.5% of the residents are Maori
10 most livable city in the world in 2010 (The Economist)
Auckland: an overview
Also called The City of Sails
It lays on the Auckland Volcanic Field that had produced around 50 volcanoes
3. Perceived Identity: we asked 5 questions to 15 to people from Auckland using social media.
Perceived Image: we asked 4 questions to 20 people from different countries.
Projected Image: we analyzed the main New Zealands blogs and online newspapers.
1. Brand Analysis
4. 1. Brand Analysis: perceived identity
1.Do you think you have a strong sense of belonging toward Auckland and New Zealand in general?
Most of citizens feel well integrated in the city, but part of them doesnt know or dont agree because they have just moved there. In fact Auckland is a very multicultural city, but this represent a strenght for them.
5. 1. Brand Analysis: perceived identity
One Tree Hill
2.In your opinion, which are the icons the better represent Auckland?
6. 1. Brand Analysis: perceived identity
3.According to you, which are the most popular free time activities?
According to our research the most popular activities are outdoor and sport.
Many people answered more than one activity, that is why we have more than 15 answers.
7. 1. Brand Analysis: perceived identity
4.Which are the things you are more proud of about your city and your country?
8. 1. Brand Analysis: perceived identity
5.Which are some typical productsof Auckland and New Zealand?
Asian and European cuisine
9. 1. Brand Analysis: perceived image
1. Do you knwo where is Auckland?
2. What is the first idea that comes to your mind about Auckland?
10. 1. Brand Analysis: perceived image
3. Are you interested to go there?
Because of the lack of awareness among international tourists as we saw in the previous graphs, we also notice that they are not sure to go Auckland in the future.
11. 1. Brand Analysis: perceived image
4. Which images or icons come to your mind about Auckland?
BEACHES & SUN
12. 1. Brand Analysis: projected image
Leisure & Recreation
Whale and dolphin safaris
13. Aucklands target market is outdoor and athletic sport oriented.
2. Brand Essence
Although Auckland is a new and modern city, its values are based around nature and its beautiful surroundings.
14. Try to say that we are not welcoming!
15. Youll always want to be the first to reach us
16. Try to guess why Frodo is still here!
17. Create connected cycle ways around the city.
Sort out the dismal public transport problems, make cycling safer through better road design, and bring in better city planners.
Public Transport needs to be improved.
Look after heritage buildings, like St. James Theatre which needs to be renovated.
3. Implementation: constructions
How could we make Auckland
a better place to live, work and play in?
18. 3. Implementation: constructions
Encourage, protect and support creative hubs for a stronger economy (art/design/fashion/technology/innovation).
More creative exciting public spaces. Dynamic and unique.
Tighter protection of architectural and environmental standards in the CDB. To encourage it to look more cohesive
Tighter standards on housingfor example the shoe box apartments, which are low budget apartments that dont fit with the overall image of the city.
19. To develop and open up the waterfront, introducing more green and accessible spaces. It is an highly important area for tourism.
More cultural and music eventsfor greater economic impact; for example exploiting more the existing theaters which offer once in a lifetime acoustic experience.
Encourage more global flagship retailers to the CBD (Central Business District) to mix with boutique shops and development of downtown shopping centers.
3. Implementation: cooperation
20. 3. Implementation: communication
Proposing dynamic tourism packages focusing on long stay holidays.
Involving local people in making crucial decisions related to the development of the city. Continuing research, surveys and statistic analysis could be very useful.
Auckland should better communicate to the world its ambience, peoplesattitude and heritage. For example, trying to strength the current advertising campaign through traditional and social media. They should collaborate more with 100%NewZealand, improving globalawareness.
21. Thank you!
Master in Tourism Management, IULM University