odi presentation at foi2015 holyrood event
out of 20
Post on 21-Jan-2018
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Peter Wells @peterkwells theODI.org
- 2. Who are the Open Data Institute?
- 3. We connect, equip and inspire people around the world to innovate with data.
- 4. The ODI node network operates in 20 countries across six continents.
- 5. Data sits on a spectrum
- 6. First draft
- 7. Data is infrastructure
- 8. Roads help us navigate to a location. Data helps us make a decision.
- 9. Open data and FOI laws.
- 10. Open data and FOI laws: complementary and necessary.
- 11. Open data and FOI provide a natural balance between the proactive and reactive release of information.
- 12. FOI enables citizens to request information in relation to particular areas of current public interest, and improve their sense of civic engagement and participation.
- 13. FOI allows civil society and business to request information to investigate opportunities for innovation or to support their current work.
- 14. FOI promotes the UKs position as an open and transparent place to do business.
- 15. FOI provides a mechanism for access to information held by government where the community interested in that information is too small to justify its continuing release and maintenance as open data.
- 16. FOI can help public sector bodies identify information and data that may have potential value if published openly.
- 17. A sustainable data economy needs both open data and FOI.
- 18. Open data can help inform the FOI Commissions work.
- 19. Open data is an important mechanism for transparency and data innovation, but open data will never make FOI laws redundant.
- 20. Peter Wells @peterkwells theODI.org
View more >