o clinical psychology o counselling psychology o educational psychology o forensic psychology o...

Download o Clinical Psychology o Counselling Psychology o Educational Psychology o Forensic Psychology o Health Psychology o Neuropsychology o Occupational Psychology

Post on 15-Jan-2016




0 download

Embed Size (px)


Presentation for Careers Speakers

areas of chartered statusClinical PsychologyCounselling PsychologyEducational PsychologyForensic PsychologyHealth PsychologyNeuropsychologyOccupational PsychologySport & Exercise PsychologyTeaching and Research in Psychology

For all psychology specialisms you must have:Accredited postgraduate qualification/supervision Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC)

Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership(GBC)You can get the GBC by completing a qualificationaccredited by the BPS at a 2:2 honours standard, these include:

Society accredited Undergraduate Psychology Honours DegreesSociety accredited Psychology Conversion Courses

clinical psychology

What is Clinical Psychology?Clinical psychology aims to reduce psychological distress and enhance and promote psychological well-being. A wide range of psychological difficulties may be dealt with including anxiety, depression, relationship problems, learning disabilities, child and family problems and serious mental illness.Clinical psychologists mainly work in healthcare settings such as hospitals and social services. Most work for the NHS but some are in private practice.Qualifications Required:GBC3 Year Accredited Doctorate in Clinical PsychologyPrior to their clinical doctorate most clinical trainees undertake some form of relevant work experience

counselling psychologyWhat is Counselling Psychology?Counselling psychology is a relatively new breed of professional applied psychology concerned with the integration of psychological theory and research with therapeutic practice.Counselling psychologists work almost anywhere there are people. For instance counselling psychologists are currently employed in industry, commerce, the prison service the education sector, and health and social care settings.Qualifications Required:GBC3 Year Accredited Doctorate in Counselling Psychology ORThe Societys Qualification in Counselling Psychology

educational psychologyWhat is Educational Psychology?Educational psychologists tackle the problems encountered by young people in education, which may involve learning difficulties and social or emotional problems. Educational Psychologists work mainly within Local Education Authorities, although some may be employed by Social Services or Health, attached to independent schools or work in private practice.Qualifications Required:GBC3 Year accredited Doctorate in Educational Psychology ORIn Scotland an accredited MSc (2 years) plus the Societys Award in Educational Psychology (1 year supervised practice ).

forensic psychologyWhat is Forensic Psychology?Forensic Psychology is devoted to psychological aspects of legal processes in courts; applying psychological theory to criminal investigation, understanding psychological problems associated with criminal behaviour and the treatment of criminals.Forensic Psychologists mainly work in the prison service, although they may also work for the NHS and Social Services Qualifications Required:GBCAccredited MSc in Forensic Psychology OR Stage 1 of Societys Qualification in Forensic PsychologyStage 2 of Societys Qualification in Forensic Psychology

health psychologyWhat is Health Psychology?Health psychology is the use of psychological principles are used to promote changes in peoples attitudes, behaviour and thinking about health and illness.Health psychologists are represented in a number of settings, such as hospitals, academic health research units, health authorities and university departmentsQualifications Required:GBCAccredited MSc in Health PsychologyStage 2 of the Societys Qualification in Health Psychology

neuropsychologyWhat is Neuropsychology?Neuropsychologists work with people of all ages with neurological problems, which might include traumatic brain injury, stroke, toxic and metabolic disorders, tumours and neuro-degenerative diseases.Neuropsychologists work in a variety of settings including regional neurosciences centres, rehabilitation centres, community services.Qualifications Required:GBCChartered Status in either Clinical or Education PsychologySocietys Qualification in Clinical Neuropsychology (QiCN)

occupational psychologyWhat is Occupational Psychology?Occupational psychology is the application of psychological knowledge and expertise to identify and resolve organisational, team and individual levels of working.Occupational psychologists may work in-house for larger organisations, in both the private and public sectors (including government departments. Other are in private practice or work as consultants.Qualifications Required:GBCAccredited MSc in Occupational Psychology OR Stage 1 of the Societys Qualification in Occupational PsychologyStage 2 of the Societys Qualification in Occupational Psychology

sport & exercise psychologyWhat is Sport & Exercise Psychology?Sport psychologists work with sports participants across a range of both team and individual sports and from amateur to elite levels of competition. An exercise psychologist is primarily concerned with the application of psychology to increase exercise participation and with the general public.Sport and Exercise psychologists work in a wide range of sport and exercise settings.

Qualifications Required:GBCAccredited MSc in Sport and Exercise Psychology ORStage 1 of the Societys Qualification in Sport and Exercise PsychologyStage 2 of the Societys Qualification in Sport and Exercise Psychology

teaching and research in psychologyWhat is Teaching and Research?Teaching and research usually go hand in hand at the higher education level, with lecturers at Higher Education Institutions usually undertaking some research as well as teaching. All university lecturers are expected to help extend their subject by gathering psychological evidence on key research questions, and tell others what they have found by publishing articles

Qualifications RequiredGBCPhD in psychology OR Three years postgraduate experience as a teacher of psychology

In order to use the following titles you will need to be registered with the Health Professions Council (HPC):

Registered PsychologistPractitioner PsychologistClinical PsychologistCounselling PsychologistEducational PsychologistForensic PsychologistHealth PsychologistOccupational PsychologistSport and Exercise Psychologist

To register with the HPC you will need to complete the relevant training program that has been approved by the HPC. Please contact the HPC for more information on their entry requirements:020 7840 9802 or 0845 300 4472



Psychology Careers Information Line:

0116 252 9534

Society Qualification Information Line:

0116 252 9505


View more >