navigating the leave of absence processing for housestaff
out of 10
Post on 25-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Navigating the Leave of Absence Processing for Housestaff
- Slide 2
- Page 1 The First Steps W HO I NITIATES A GME L EAVE R EQUEST ? W HO SHOULD CONTACT U NUM AND WHEN ? W HO N OTIFIES GME, HR, AND / OR P AYROLL ? W HERE ARE MY R ESOURCES TO H ELP ME N AVIGATE ?
- Slide 3
- Page 2 WHO INITIATE A GME LEAVE REQUEST? The Residency Coordinator completes the Housestaff Leave Request form; reviews the form with the Resident; and submit to GME and HR. http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/gme/CurrentHousestaff/index.html The Coordinator
- Slide 4
- Page 3 WHO CONTACTS UNUM? The Resident has to contact Unum, by phone, when absent for more than three consecutive days for a serious medical condition or a family member's serious medical condition. What is considered a Serious Medical condition? Who do we consider as Family Members? When does Sick and Annual Leave get used? How does this absence impact the Residents Program Requirements? The Resident
- Slide 5
- Page 4 But What if? What if the employee is NOT covered by FMLA? Do they still call UNUM? What if the employee did NOT sign up for Short Term Disability (STD) ? (and when should they sign up for STD? ) What if the employee is NOT able to call UNUM or will NOT call UNUM?
- Slide 6
- Page 5 What does Unum do with a Leave Request: When request for leave is approved or denied by Unum, GME receives an email from Unum with dates and types of leave approved and/or denied.
- Slide 7
- Page 6 How does HR and Payroll get Notified? GME updates the Residents status though Ultipro Manager Self Serve Can the Resident have a status of Paid, Unpaid or Both? What about any Employee Deductions for Fringe Benefits?
- Slide 8
- Page 7 Lets Recap: 4) Short Term Disability - Yes or No? 5) GME to update status on MSS and coordinates with HR/Benefits, as necessary 6) Long Term Disability - begins after 90 days absent 7) GME terminates the Resident, in HR/Payroll, after being on leave for more than 9 months 8) VCUHS Benefits will notify Resident of COBRA Benefits 1) The Resident notifies Program Coordinator 2) The Coordinator completes the GME Leave Request Form and sends to GME and HR 3) The Resident contacts Unum
- Slide 9
- Page 8 My Resources? http://benefits.mcvh-vcu.edu/EmployeeLOAAdministration.aspx VCUHS Intranet and Contact Resources
- Slide 10
- Page 9 The End. Questions?
View more >