national digital forum [] this museum
out of 23
Post on 18-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONpresented at Te Papa in Wellington, New Zealand on 23/11/09.
- 1. NDF 2009 - Wellington [] this museum: Wikipedia and the cultural sector
- 2. If people were passing out paints on the street for free every day, Im sure thered be a lot more painters. - Gregg Gillis (GirlTalk) in Good Copy, Bad Copy knowledge If people were passing out paints on the street for free every day, Im sure thered be a lot more painters. learning
- 3. Wikipedia is... 100% F/LOSS, 100% open standards, 100% copyleft charitable foundation, volunteers, no advertising, no royalties, no permissions, available to use and re-use. GRATIS LIBRE
- 4. I believe museums and Wikipedia have a lot in common (even if Wikipedias only been free to the world since 2001!)
- 5. We too have scope creep...
- 6. ...we curate exhibitions...
- 7. ...and contextualise information...
- 8. ...we deaccession articles...
- 9. delete or keep?
- 10. ...and we deaccession images...
- 11. But were only just learning how to play nicely with others
- 12. one more thing... Q. Why does Wikipedia have lots of educational resources about American culture but comparatively little from other countries (especially Australia/New Zealand)? (Its not a language or digital divide problem) A. 1. US is more available 2. US has greater copyright freedom
- 13. AMERICAN Institutions: high resolution (inc .tiff) nuanced re-use policy no pseudo-TPMs default is open (esp. govt) AUSTRALIAN Institutions: low resolution .jpg format blanket claim of personal and private use only (water)marking/zoomify etc. Default is closed (esp. Crown)
- 14. credits British Museum free to the world since 1793, Vintagedept, http://www.ickr.com/photos/vintagedept/3363163941/ Flickr Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial Big Foot's camp three weeks after the Wounded Knee Massacre (Dec. 29, 1890), with bodies of several Lakota Sioux people wrapped in blankets in the foreground and U.S. soldiers in the background http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ppmsca.15849 Library of Congress Public Domain Multimedia Usability Paris 2009 GLAM2, Polimerek http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Multimedia_Usability_Paris_2009_GLAM_2.jpg Creative Commons Arrtibution Share-Alike Ty Cobb safe at third after making a triple, 8/16/1924 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/npcc.11955 Library of Congress Public Domain SR71B Blackbird, December 1994, Sierra Nevada mountains EC94-42883-4 NASA Public Domain Portrait of athlete Marjorie Jackson c.1950 http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-vn4583958 National Library of Australia Public Domain
- 15. Thank you. email@example.com [[user:witty lama]] www.wittylama.com/blog
View more >
The Edinb r Geologi - ?· Museum) to edit the work for publication. Heddle's mineralogy is still a Heddle's…
ARMENIA - OPEN AIR MUSEUM Public Forum presentation by Marine Mkrtchyan Deputy Director of Russian Art Museum Board member of ICOM/Armenia - National
PERANCANGAN MUSEUM LOKOMOTIF DI keempat museum kereta api di Indonesia, yaitu Museum KA Ambarawa, Museum KA Sawahlunto, Museum KA TMII dan Museum KA Bandung, secara
KRÖLLER-MÜLLER MUSEUM ?· Museum, Van Abbe Museum and Kröller-Müller Museum. Sufficient Force Minimal…
Flyer Veranstaltungen Museum Lindwurm Museum Lindwurm Veranstaltungen zweitausend undachtzehn Museum
More Info. Index Museums in Berlin Alte Nationalgalerie Bode Museum Pergamon Museum Museum of Photography Brücke Museum Brücke Museum Jewish Museum Berlin
Beispielbild The EDIT Platform for Cybertaxonomy Anton Güntsch Freie Universität Berlin Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem
Bildindex - gbv.de ?· tisches Museum Kalkar II .. Forum junger Kunst" mit Andreas Dettloff Seite34/35…
Starting a museum - ?· Starting a museum Section 1: Museum Management 1.1 Starting a Museum Introduction…
Edit picture with free software PhotoCap. Edit picture Free software: PhotoCap 6.0 http://www.photocap.com.tw/forum/vie wthread.php?tid=43781&extra=page%3D