Multisensory Grammar Activities - ?· Copyright © Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved. Grade…
Post on 03-Jul-2018
Grade 5 Unit 5: Capitalization and Punctuation Teaching Support
Multisensory Grammar ActivitiesCorrect Sentences
Objective The student will correct run-on sentences by adding periods and capitalletters.
Materials Transparency Prepared worksheet showing five run-on
sentences (See sample shown.) Transparency marker Pencils
1. On the transparency, write the run-onsentence All of us practice hard we hopeto win the state championship. Ask a stu-dent to read the run-on sentence aloud.(VISUAL; AUDITORY)
2. On the transparency, draw a vertical lineafter hard to separate the two sentences.(VISUAL)
3. Model rewriting the run-on sentence bymaking it into two sentences, adding aperiod at the end of the first sentence,and capitalizing the first letter of thesecond sentence. Then read the two sen-tences aloud, pausing to indicate whereone sentence ends and the next begins.(All of us practice hard. We hope to win the state championship.) (VISUAL;AUDITORY)
4. Have students complete the worksheet,correcting the run-on sentences byadding correct end punctuation and capi-talization. (VISUAL; KINESTHETIC)
5. Invite volunteers to read the correctedsentences, pausing to indicate where one sentence ends and the next begins.(VISUAL; AUDITORY)
1. During the spring break, Pollyand I went horseback riding inthe mountains it was the mostfun I have ever had.
2. We would ride the horses highinto the mountains the viewwas beautiful.
3. I wanted to stay in Coloradothe weather was so nice!
4. Every day the temperature wasin the low 70s it never rainedor snowed.
5. We went home on Saturday wehad to go back to school onMonday.
Answers: 1. During the spring break, Pollyand I went horseback riding in the moun-tains. It was the most fun I have ever had. 2. We would ride the horses high into themountains. The view was beautiful. 3. Iwanted to stay in Colorado. The weatherwas so nice! 4. Every day the temperaturewas in the low 70s. It never rained orsnowed. 5. We went home on Saturday. We had to go back to school on Monday.Note: Mark as correct any run-on sentencesthat students correct in other ways such asby adding a comma and a coordinatingconjunction.
Teaching Support Grade 5 Unit 5: Capitalization and Punctuation
Ideas for Multisensory Grammar Activities continued
Objective The student will use a comma toseparate three or more items in a series.
Materials White and colored chalk, notebook paper,
pencils, colored markers
1. Write on the chalkboard categories ofitems to be listed as a series. (See sam-ples shown.) (VISUAL)
2. Ask a student to say aloud a sentencethat lists three favorite foods. (AUDITORY)
3. Have the student write the sentence onthe chalkboard, using colored chalk forthe commas that separate the foods.(VISUAL; KINESTHETIC)
4. Ask another student to read the sentencealoud, touching the commas as he or shepauses between items. (VISUAL; AUDITORY;KINESTHETIC)
5. Have students write on paper sentencesthat list the other categories of items onthe chalkboard. Tell them to use theircolored marker or pencil for the com-mas. (VISUAL; KINESTHETIC)
6. Invite volunteers to read their sentences.(AUDITORY)
Commas in a Series
Objective The student will usecapital letters when writing propernouns and adjectives.
MaterialsPencils, notebook paper, chalk,dictionary
1. Say and write on the chalkboardThe Turkish language is spokenin both Turkey and Cyprus. Underlinethe capital letters that begin each propernoun and adjective. (VISUAL; AUDITORY;KINESTHETIC)
2. Begin a chart of proper nouns like theone shown. Ask students to add at leastfive of their own proper nouns to thechart. (VISUAL; AUDITORY)
3. Ask students to name some proper ad-jectives that can be made from the
proper nouns listed. Have students checkthe dictionary for the correct spelling oftheir proper adjectives and then list thembeside the chart. (VISUAL; AUDITORY)
4. On the notebook paper, have studentswrite two sentences that each include aproper noun and a proper adjective fromthe board. (KINESTHETIC)
Proper Nouns and Adjectives
foods hobbiesfriends placessports clothingpets colors
I had a hamburger, a salad,and lemonade for lunch.
Category Proper Noun Proper Adjectivepeople Indira Gandiplaces Rome Romanthings U.S. Constitution days, months, Thanksgivingand holidaysbuildings Space Needle