monticello vegetable gardens
Post on 28-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThomas Jefferson's Monticello Vegetable Gardens
2. Monticello Vegetable GardensThe gardens of Thomas
Photos and information by
3. 4. Established about 1807
5. Jefferson expanded his gardens in 1807 by building a wall 1,000 feet long and leveling the bed.
6. 7. The beds were laid out in squares. Walkways were incorporated between the squares to give easy access for tending and harvesting.
The beds were also used to experiment on new varieties.
8. 9. 10. 11. Jefferson kept excellent records.
He recorded times of harvest, amenities added, and crop failure.
12. 13. It is said that Jefferson was not fond of slavery. He said it would not be his generation that would do away with it as he saw no way of operating without them.
He depended on his slaves and they livedon the land surrounding the gardens.
14. 15. Elaborate trellises and tripods were built to support the climbing and trailing plants.
16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. The plants were grouped according to what part of the plant was harvested. The groups were roots, fruits, and leaves.
23. 24. 25. 26. Jefferson understood the importance of adding quality amendments to the soil.A healthy plant could resist pest and disease.
27. 28. 29. 30. Jefferson grew 250 varieties of more than 70 different species of vegetables, precisely recording the details of their growth.
31. 32. He wanted it pleasing to the eye so he grouped things paying attention to texture and bloom time. The gardens were planted three times a year to take advantage of every fruit and vegetable available for its season. He planted things like radishes every two weeks for a constant harvest.
33. 34. 35. 36. Jefferson kept a "Garden Kalendar, where he recorded all the daily activities. From this he was able to see that his peas were killed by a frost one year and he would adjust the timing for the coming season.
37. 38. Vineyards and orchards were just below the vegetable garden.
39. 40. You can visit Monticello.org and learn more about the gardens. There is a full time staff maintaining the gardens today and both staff and visitors enjoy the harvest. Thank you for viewing my slideshow of the Monticello Vegetable Gardens.
41. 42. Flowergardengirl.orgflowergardengirl.wordpress