meditate to innovate! how to use mindfulness to make a difference in your business
out of 30
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONWe know that a ton of successful people meditate, but it seems like an activity that has little to no bearing on our actual lives, specifically our work. But the latest research shows that meditation not only improves our health and longevity, but also it transforms our brains into a fertile breeding ground for new ideas, innovation and creativity. If you have to be creative in your work but feel stressed, concrete meditation and mindfulness tools can help you and your teams meet deadlines, enhance productivity, deliver epic-quality work, and enjoy the process. Even better? You'll live a longer, healthier life as a result. Come for the external benefits, stay for the internal ones. This talk was first given at SXSWV2V in Las Vegas, July 2014 by Lauren Fritsch
- LAUREN FRITSCH @magnetismfactor #meditateinnovate
- WHAT IS MEDITATION ? med i ta tion noun the action or practice of meditating. synonyms: contemplation, thought, thinking, musing, pondering, consideration, reflection, deliberation, rumination, brooding, reverie, brown
- CONTEMPLATION an exercise in keeping your heart and mind spaces open long enough for the mind to see other hidden material. - Richard Rohr
- INNOVATION is the specific instrument of entrepreneurship. The act that endows resources with a new capacity to create wealth. - PETER DRUCKER
- ENTREPRENEURSHIP + INNOVATION = WEALTH
- WEALTH = CURRENCY, HEALTH, OPPORTUNITIES, EDUCATION, EMPOWERMENT
- WEALTH ENTREPRENEURSHIP INNOVATION MEDITATION
- better focus less anxiety more creativity more compassion better memory less stress more grey matter WHY MEDITATE?
- STRESS = INNOVATION
- "And every day, the world will drag you by the hand, yelling, "This is important! And this is important! And this is important! You need to worry about this! And this! And this!" And each day, it's up to you to yank your hand back, put it on your heart and say, "No. This is what's important." - Iain Thomas
- STRESS clouds your judgment hinders your memory decreases your willpower costs you money
- MEDITATION: The Wonder Drug! ...equivalent to discovering an entirely new class of drugs (but without the inevitable side effects). - Mark Williams and Danny Penman
- Rupert Murdoch Oprah Winfrey Bill Ford Jeff Weiner Mark Bertolini Marc Benioff Evan Williams Jerry Seinfeld Phil Jackson LeBron James Michael Jordan
- MEDITATION CALMS THE STORM Padmasree Warrior, CTO at Cisco says meditation is "a reboot for your brain and your soul."
- Movement meditation Mindfulness meditation Guided meditation Transcendental meditation (TM) Sound/Sensory meditation Mantra meditation TYPES OF MEDITATION
- Google Apple Aetna Nike Yahoo! McKinsey Deutsche Bank P&G HBO COMPANIES THAT PROMOTE MEDITATION/MINDFULNESS
- MAKING MEDITATION WORK FOR YOUR WORK
- You can't suck at meditation Consistency is key Guided meditation can be a great start Get a partner Try an app TRY IT OUT, MAKE IT STICK!
- daily routine to "bookend" your days when you experience a stress response to get through a creative block to solve a pesky problem WHEN TO USE MEDITATION
- DAILY ROUTINE Leo Babauta of Zen Habits recommends trying two minutes a day for eight weeks.
- THE BOOKEND METHOD Start and end your day with short meditations. Try five minutes first thing in the morning and in the evening (just after you return from work or before heading to bed). Work up to 10 or 15 minutes.
- TO COUNTERACT STRESS Visualization is the cornerstone of much athletic performance because it can keep the body alert for peak performance without exhausting itself or turning on the full flight or fight stress response.
- TO BLAST THROUGH CREATIVE BLOCKS OR SOLVE A PROBLEM Staring at the wall, short meditation, and/or a wandering mind can all contribute to more creative output and divergent thinking- the kind of thinking that solves problems.
- Buddhify2 Stop, Breathe and Think The Mindfulness App Mindfulness Meditation Headspace Insight Timer MY FAV MEDITATION APPS
- CREATE A SPACE Including rituals in your meditation can enhance the benefits. Space Sounds Smells Posture
- ABOVE ALL Dont take meditation (or yourself) too seriously.
- Bibiliography Huffington, Arianna. Thrive: The third metric to redefining success and creating a life of well-being, wisdom, and wonder. New York: Harmony Books, 2014. McGonigal, Kate. The Willpower Instinct: Why self-control matters, why it works, and what you can do to get more of it. New York: Avery, December 29, 2011. Tan, Chade-Meng, Goleman, Daniel and Kabat-Zin, Jon. Search Inside Yourself: The unexpected path to achieving success, happiness (and world peace). New York: HarperOne, April 24, 2012. 10 Big Companies That Promote Employee Meditation. OnlineMBA.com. February 1, 2012. Colzata, Lorenza, Ozturk, Ayca, Hommel, Bernhard. Meditate to Create: the impact of focused-attention and open- monitoring training on convergent and divergent thinking. NCBI.com, April 18, 2012. Ding, Xioaqian, Tang, Yi-Yuan, Tang, Rongxiang, Posner, Michael. Improving Creativity Performance by Short Term Meditation. NCBI.com. March 19, 2014.
- Photo Credits Slides 2, 21, 24, 26 and 27: Justin Woddis All below from Flickr Creative Commons Slide 3: Meditation by Hans Peter Slide 4: Dont Leave Me This Way by Machiel Van Zanten Slide 11: NYC Street by Mista Lee Slide 13: Meditation by Rennett Stowe Slide 15: Calm the Storm by JD Hancock Slide 18: Breathe. Create. Repeat. Poster by positivelyposters.com Slide 22: meditation room by peter dutton Slide 23: Surfer by Hani Amir
- When CEOs, politicians and athletes hit a block, they call Lauren Fritsch. You may know her as a consultant, but really shes a sneak-attack spiritual teacher who empowers very visible leaders to grow their businesses, teams and lives with grace and love. She facilitates amazing growth through the lens of commerce and fun! Lauren is the founder of TCCConsultingGroup.com and blogs at LaurenFritsch.com. Tweet her @magnetismfactor
View more >
WE INNOVATE to close material loops - 03 26_WE INNOVATE SIRRIS to... · WE INNOVATE to close material…
"To Meditate, or Not Meditate, That is the Question:" Setting up Get It Now at Furman University Libraries
To innovate, or not to innovate, that is the ?· or not to innovate, that is the question ... Innovation…