meat institute foundation dedicates new laboratories
Post on 21-Feb-2017
Embed Size (px)
THE CHEMICAL WORLD THIS WEEK
Meat Institute Foundation Dedicates N e w Laboratories
search in which optical properties of dyed fibers have been used to interpret the na-ture of the cellulose dye complex. He discussed variations in structure of viscose rayon which have marked effect on its dyeing characteristics- Development of high tenacity viscose rayons has presented some problems. They differ from regular viscose rayons in that they are more highly oriented. In laboratory studies of pack-age dyeing with vat colors, wherein cross sections of the packages were made, studies could be conducted of the effects of the winding of the package, the rate of flow, temperature, and of the addition of various dyeing -\sistants on the levelness through-out the package.
Union Dyeing The speaker described the use of micro-
scope and cross sectioning techniques in union dyeing in order to determine dis-tribution of the dye from fiber to finer. His paper took up textile printing through resin-bonded pigments, the application of vat dyes to cellulosic fibers, improved for-mulations of vat color pastes and their printing performance. Textile printing also had been studied from a quantitative point of view.
George W. Parks, Rhode Island State College, presided at a general technical meeting which earlier that day heard dis-cussions on water pollution problems, economics of the textile industry, and consumer standards. Meetings were staged later by the association's groups devoted to wool, cotton, synthetics, auxiliaries, and testing.
The Olney Medal was formally pre-sented to Dr. Rover by C. Morris Rabold, Erwin Cotton Mills, president of the AATCC. Kenneth H. Klipstein, American Cyanamid Co., spoke on "The Medalist the Vian," and Milton Harris, former Olney Medalist, told the meeting of Dr. Royer's scientific -work.
Resignation of Bonnar The national council of the association
announced that it had accepted the resig-nation of J. Robert Bonnar as research chief of the AATCC. Mr. Bonnar has been forced to relinquish this work by the press of other duties. He has directed the association's research for the past six years. A successor will be chosen by the council at its next meeting in New York on Nov. 17.
The Piedmont Section of the associa-tion won the intersectional prize paper contest with its contribution, "A Compari-son of the Dyeing Characteristics and Re-lated Properties of Rain-Grown and Irri-gated Cotton." Patrick J. Kennedy, Du Pont Co., was made national chairman of the student international contest which is to be held for the first time in 1951.
The Portsmouth meeting of the AATCC, sponsored by the Rhode Island section, also featured exhibits by dye and chemi-cal manufacturers; technological schools; and equipment makers.
J\s A direct result of research which has led to the profitable utilization of byproducts in the meat packing industry, meat packers have for several years been able to sell beef at wholesale for less than they paid for the steer on the hoof. The American Meat Institute Foundation in Chicago is now at work in its new labora-tories, expanding the industry's activity in this type of research, which has bene-fited growers, processors, and consumers of meat and meat products.
The foundation's new research and de-velopment laboratories, built and equipped on the campus of the University of Chi-cago at a cost of more than $750,000 were dedicated in a simple ceremony on Oct. 3. Speaking for the foundation as chairman of its board of directors, Thomas E. Wilson of Wilson & Co., Inc., hailed the establishment of the new facili-ties as "a milestone in the growth and de-velopment of the American meat indus-try."
The foundation, dedicated to research and education in the field of livestock and meat production and by-product utilization, will continue to function in close harmony with the University of Chicago. A joint advisory committee of the two institutions will coordinate programs for the maximum benefit of the cooperating institutions and the public at large.
Extensive Laboratory Facilities The new building of the foundation is
a three-story structure of reinforced con-crete and stone, styled to blend with other buildings on the university campus. Members of the foundation scientific staff have been at work in the new laboratories since July 1, 1949, setting up equipment and pushing research on approximately 20 important projects connected with the processing of meat and the utilization of packing house by-products.
The first floor of the building houses administrative offices and a large library-conference room, in addition to labora-tories for fundamental research in organic chemistry and applied research on fats and oils. On the second floor, the founda-tion's service laboratory provides facilities, at reasonable cost, for the analysis of in-dustry products and supplies. The his-tological laboratory, in which the physi-cal structure of meat is studied, also is located on the second floor, as is the analytical and physical chemistry facili-ties. Several smaller work-rooms on this floor provide space for special projects and allow room for future expansion.
On the third floor are laboratories de-voted to bacteriological, biochemical, and nutritional studies, and a home economics department for the culinary evaluation of meat products. A loft above the third floor contains air conditioning units, ex-
Thomas E. Wilson of Wilson & Co., Inc., speaking at the dedication of American Meat Institute's research laboratories at the University of Chicago
haust fans, water deionizing equipment, air compressors, and other heavy equip-ment. A full basement below the building contains seven refrigerated rooms and provides extensive pilot plant area.
Founded in 1924 The American Meat Institute Founda-
tion was organized in 1944 as the out-growth of an all-industry research program initiated nearly 30 years ago by the American Meat Institute. In 1924, the institute established laboratory facilities at the University of Chicago and under-took scientific research on a modest scale. The research program, maintained through contributions by member companies of the association, resulted in substantial con-tributions to scientific progress in the in-dustry, and demonstrated the desirability of a union of resources for scientific re-search. A survey of research needs re-vealed the necessity of providing funds and facilities far beyond the capacities of the research program as originally con-ceived. On the recommendation of the survey committee and the institute staff, the institute's board of directors voted in 1944 to sponsor the establishment of an independent nonprofit foundation, de-signed exclusively for research and educa-tion in fields related to the meat industry. The foundation now has a staff of more than 40 competent research scientists, with plans for continued expansion as funds and facilities become available.
Through its cooperation "with the Uni-versity of Chicago, the foundation aids in training technical personnel in the field
3596 C H E M I C A L A N D E N G I N E E R I N G N E W S
Clyde M. Whittaker, presi-dent of Universal-Rundle Corp., delivers the princi-pal address at the dedica-tion of the firm's W. Keith McAfee Laboratory at New Castle. Pa. A portrait of W. Keith McAfee, late chairman on the board for whom the laboratory is named, appears on the wall inside the entrance. Seated is Stanley S. Backer, vice president in charge of sales. A brick and steel structure, two and a half stories high, the laboratory houses light research units and a pilot plant
of livestock processing. Several university graduate students in the biological and physical sciences are now engaged in thesis studies in the laboratories of the foundation, meeting all university require-ments, and working toward advance de-grees awarded by the university.
Laboratory Dedicated By Widow of Founder
Universal-Rundle's W. Keith McAfee-Laboratory at New Castle, Pa., was re-cently dedicated in a ceremony at which Clyde M. Whittaker, firm president, and Mrs. McAfee, widow of the late chair-man of the board, spoke.
The new laboratory is a brick and steel structure two and one-half stories high, housing eight research units, a darkroom, library, offices, and pilot plant area. Di-rector of research is A. L. Johnson, former MIT professor. He heads a staff doing research in ceramics, metallurgy, chemistry, and hydraulics.
The pilot plant equipment is capable of duplicating any manufacturing process in Universal-Rundle's three vitreous china and two enameled cast iron plants. Re-search findings can be tried here on a small scale without interfering with plant productivity.
Agricultural Institute Established in St. Louis
A foundation to promote research in the fields of agriculture and farming to be known as the Agricultural Institute, has recently been established in St. Louis.
Research projects will be directed at problems which affect rural population groups, farming districts, and agriculture. Its broad objectives aim at improvement of economic, social, educational, and cul-tural conditions of rural communities.
The Agricultural Institute at present has no plant of its own, and intends to place its projects in universities and col-leges interested in conducting research and experimental work under its sponsor-ship. At present it is negotiating with the University of Missouri for its initial research project, to be financed by a grant of $3,000 from the Krey Packing Co. John F. Krey, president of the company, is chairman of die institute. Other per-sonnel are Robert R. Hudelson, associate dean of Illinois College of Agriculture who is vice chairman; True D. Morse,