listening centered activities
Post on 22-Jun-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Unit 2Trends
- Part One
- Key to Exercises
- 1.D2. C3.A4. D5. B
- II. 6.B7. D8. A9. C10. A
- 11. For many different reasons
- 12. by rich cultural life
- 13. traffic is slow and difficult.
- 14. plenty of money
- 15. thousands of visitors
- Part Two
- Reading_centered Activities
- Warm up questions:
- 1). Can you define the word trend ?
- 2). What are the new trends in clothes / hairstylesthis year?
- Background information
- Elvis Presley:
- Born January 8, 1935, in East Tupelo, Mississippi, Presley was the son of Gladys and Vernon Presley, a sewing machine operator and a truck driver. Elvis Presley was the first real rock and roll star. A white southerner who singing blues laced with country and country tinged with gospel, Presley brought together music from both sides of the color
- line. Presley performed this music with a natural hip swiveling sexuality that made him a teen idol and a role model for generations of cool rebels.
7. Key points Words and expressions 1.fashion-wise2. you name it3.all in all4. alternative5. diverse 6. embody7. exotic8.flatter 9. inspire10. transform11. visual12. trend13.be/ have done with Back 8.
- Examples of the above key words and expressions:
- 1.fashion-wise :follow the new trend of fashion.
- -wise (withn s formingadj s andadv s): in the manner or direction of.
- e.g. Turn the handleclockwise.
- to walkcrabwise.
- 2.You name it : (infml) every thing, place, etc you can name or think of.
9. e.g. She can make anything: chairs, tables, cupboards----you name it. Clothes, furniture, books ----you name it , they sell it! 3 . All in all :when every thing is considered . e.g.All in all , it was a lot of fun for everyone who went. His reaction to the doctors treatment was,all in all , satisfactory. He has his faults, butall in allhe is a conscientious man. 4.Alternative: n. a chance to choose or decide between two or more possible things, courses or action. 10.
- e.g. You have thealternativeof fighting or beingtaken prisoner.
- I had noalternativebut to walk out.
- adj. That may be used , had, done instead of another; other
- e.g. We returned by the alternative road.
- Have you got an alternative suggestion?
- 5.Diverse :adj.of different kinds; varied
- e.g. The wild life in Africa is extremelydiverse .
- People of Europe speakdiverse languages.
- The programme deals with subjects as diverse as pop music and ancient Greek drama.
11. return 6.Embodies:v. express or give visible form to(ideas, feelings, etc.); include or contain sth. The new modelembodiesthe latestrefinements. The testimony isembodiedin the courtrecord. 7.Exotic:introduced from another country, not native; striking or attractive because unusual. e.g. She travels to all kinds ofexoticlocations all over the world. 12.
- 8.Flatter:v.to praise too much or insincerely in order to gain advantage; to make look better or more beautiful.
- e.g. I guess he was justflatteringme.
- The newspaper wrote about his performance in veryflatteringterms.
- The black dressflatteredher figure.
- 9.Inspire sb.with sth / inspire sth in sb :fill sb. with thoughts, feelings or aims
- e.g. His speechinspiredus to try again.
- Youinspiredme to greater efforts.
- A fair and kind employerinspiredloyalty.
- 10 .t ransform:v. completely change the appearance or character of sth./ sb.
- e.g Water cantransforma desertintoa garden.
- Fatherhoodtransformedhimintoa more responsible person.
- 11.Visual: adj. Connected with or used in seeing.
- e.g. The animalsvisualorgans are different from ours.
- Thevisualarts include painting and dancing, as opposed to music.
- 12.Trend:n. general tendency or direction.
- You seem to have set a newtrend .
- There has beena trendtowardssimpler styles in womens dresses.
- 13.Be / have done with sth / sb. : no longer work at sth or be involved with sb/ sth.
- e.g. Lets spend another hour painting and then have done with it.
- Have you done with the newspaper?
- 1 Designers seem to be at their most inventive and visually stunning when producing their spring collection:
- Designers seem to have the greatest inspiration and are able to design extremely new and attractive styles when producing their spring collection.
Difficult Sentences 17.
- 2 Thisspring, bright, bold, eye-catching colors are your ticket to being the most fashionable gal:
- This spring, clothes with very bright colors are essential things you need to make yourself the most fashionable girl .
- 3. All walks of designers went on an African odyssey this spring:
- This spring , designers of different styles and from different places designed clothesof similar feature -----wild African style.
- 4 Also popular were sequins and metallic embroidery adding dazzle to basic T-shirts, vests, skirts and dresses and show-stopping glamour to eveningwear.
- adding dazzle to sequins and metallic embroidery.
- 5.They stopped just above waist, and were seen in a multitude of bright colors:
- They just reached above the waist and were available in many different bright colors.
- 6. Theres no need for a shopping spree, a few key items or accessories can transform your wardrobe into a spring sensation.
- You dont have to buy a lot of clothes; add a few accessories to the clothes you already have and you will look very fashionable .
- I. Comprehension of the Text
- 1. The designers seem to be full of creative ideas and are able to design the most attractive clothes in spring.
- 2. By wearing very bright and eye-catching color clothes.
- 3. Yes. Big and bold prints are in fashion this spring.
- 4. Metallic colors are suitable for any skin tone and go with many colors.
- 5. No. A few key item and accessories will make you look attractive and fashionable.
- II Vocabulary
- 1.flattering2. tropical
- 3. revealed4. alternative
- 5. Visual6. transform
- 7. all in all8. conservative
- 9. trend10. stripes
- 11. inspired12. featured
- III. Translation
- Task 1
- Translation from English to Chinese
- Task 2
- Translation (from Chinese to English ).
- 6 The childrens age range from 5 to 15.
- 7 His noble example inspired the rest of us to greater efforts.
- 8 The countrys constitution embodies the ideals of freedom and equality.
- 9 Clothes, furniture, books ----you name it, they sell it !
- 10 He has his faults, but all in all he is a conscientious man.
- Text Two
- I.Background Information
- SOHO In i nformation technology, SOHO is a term for the small office or home office environment and business culture. A number of organizations, businesses, and publications now exist to support people who work or have businesses in this environment. The term "virtual office" is sometimes used as a synonym.
- II. Comprehension of the Text
- 1. Many people are out of job and those who are having jobs have to accept what they are given .
- 2. It permits you to separate your personal life from business. You can leave your work where it is without the trouble of clean-up for other home activities.
- .3.They drive Americas economic growth and have created most of the new jobs in the past 20 years.
- 4. By working at home they can balance between work and family. Moreover, they earn 28% more than the average office workers.
- 5. They can have more independence, more challenge and more results; they have the freedom to grow, experiment and learn.
- II Vocabulary
- 1.necessity 2.measure3.distraction4.expansion5. solely
- 6.labeled7.in the long run
- 8. make do with9. identified
- 10. represented11. due to