libraries & research data management for co alliance of resrch libraries
out of 47
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONKeynote presentation for the Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries 2014 Research Data Management Conference, 11 July 2014. Focuses on why data management and sharing is important, and the role of libraries.
- Research Data Management & the Role of Libraries Carly Strasser | @carlystrasser California Digital Library Colorado Research Library 11 June 2014
- From Flickr by ransomtech I am not a librarian. I am not a librarian.
- C.Strasser but I do work at a library.
- Enable data sharing Encourage new incentives Think about code sharing Work with libraries, publishers and researchers Explore new tools to help change system Build tools
- Data management:
- From Flickr by Julia Manzerova Saves time Protects investment Increases research efficiency Satisfies funding agency requirements Responsibility
- h/t Ted Hart, NEON
- You can be the datas Guardian Steward Caretaker Manager Data cant be owned.
- From Flickr by Michael Tinkler
- Why share?
- Better reproducibility.
- More credibility. Better reproducibility.
- More credibility. Better reproducibility. Fox News, creationism, & the war on science.
- Help us identify grants that are wasteful or that you dont think are a good use of taxpayer dollars. Rep. Adrian Smith (R-Nebraska), a member of the House Committee on Science and Technology
- Faster progress. More credibility. Better reproducibility. Fox News, creationism, & the war on science.
- Faster progress. More credibility. Better reproducibility. Fox News, creationism, & the war on science. Increased collaboration & reuse.
- Faster progress. More credibility. Better reproducibility. Fox News, creationism, & the war on science. Increased collaboration & reuse. Future scientists can use the data.
- From Flickr by Redden-McAllister From Flickr by Ken Cowell From Flickr Brandi Jordan
- Why share?now
- Federal agencies investing in research and development (more than $100 million in annual expenditures) must have clear and coordinated policies for increasing public access to research products. Feb 2013
- 1. Maximize free public access 2. Ensure researchers create data management plans 3. Allow costs for data preservation and access in proposal budgets 4. Ensure evaluation of data management plan merits 5. Ensure researchers comply with their data management plans 6. Promote data deposition into public repositories 7. Develop approaches for identication and attribution of datasets 8. Educate folks about data stewardship From Flickr by Joe Crimmings Photography
- Competition Funding
- Competition Collaboration X
- Research has changed
- FromFlickrbytwm1340 FromFlickrbyStateLibraryofNewSouthWales
- From wikimedia Such Internet! So many tools! From Flickr by John Jobby So much data!
- DMP requirements
- FromFlickrvialibrarianinsta.tumblr.com Why libraries?
- mFlickrbyneilio Access & preservation of scholarly outputs includes data!
- MLISinformation = data
- City All-Star Softball Team, 1947. From Calisphere, Contributed by Oxnard Public Library Data managers Administrators Funders Librarians Information services Researchers Publishers
- feet meters 1000 600 UC Berkeley campus
- feet meters 1000 600 UC Berkeley campus Physical center Crosses disciplines s metadata
- From Flickr by Kevin Dooley Libraries are part of the academic infrastructure Support for data management and storage is too
- FromFlickrbyNorthCarolinaDigitalHeritageCenter From Flickr by Madison Guy Libraries are changing
- From Flickr by Madison Guy Libraries are changing Whats left?Outreach & education New people Repositories management
- Do more outreach Provide more education Become data advocates Whats left? From Flickr by Boston Public Library
- From Flickr by dotpolka Opportunities!
- FromFlickrbycompujeramey! Website Email Twitter Slides carlystrasser.net email@example.com @carlystrasser slideshare.net/carlystrasser
View more >
2015 - 2025 requires co-operation & coordination â†’ global clme+ partnership/alliance among institutions,
Trade Professional Alliance Co-Marketing Tools Gas and Electric Company’s (PGE) Trade Professional Alliance Co-Marketing Program has been developed as a value add for qualified Trade Professionals who are
The Stitchers Library Sandra Monley Co-ordinator, Information and Learning Brisbane City Council Libraries
The Saskatchewan Digital Alliance A case study of collaboration between libraries, museums, cultural and heritage institutions. David Bindle Special Collections
000 - Generalit - ?· Libraries and Google has been co-published simultaneously as Internet reference…
Stephen Strohl – Associate Director, Member Services Rose Nelson – Assistant Director, CO Alliance of Research Libraries From Mountains to Plains: the
Australia’s Public Libraries: An agreed roadmap for the future. Jan Richards Chair, Australian Public Libraries Alliance
INTERNATIONAL TOURING ALLIANCE ALLIANCE ait- ?· The International Touring Alliance (Alliance Internationale…
International Co-operative Alliance Asia and Pacificica-ap.coop/sites/ica-ap.coop/files/Annual Activities Report-2015.pdfAnnual Activities Report INTERNATIONAL CO-OPERATIVE ALLIANCE ASIA AND PACIFIC Asia and Pacific International Co-operative Alliance
Forging a Strategic Alliance a Strategic Alliance November 20, 2006 Rengo Co., Ltd. Nippon Paper Group,…
Access ‘98 Authentication & Security George Machovec Technical Director Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries
John F. Helmer Executive Director Orbis Cascade Alliance Partnerships Between Libraries: meeting patron needs through collaboration Northwest Interlibrary