l2 learners’ stories evidence from language exchange communities as an autonomous learning tool
out of 18
Post on 30-Apr-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONL2 Learners’ stories: Evidence from language exchange communities as an autonomous learning tool
- 1. L2 Learners stories: Evidence from language exchange communities as an autonomous learning tool Cem BALIKANLI Gazi University English Language Teaching Department E-mail: [email_address] English as an International Language Conference , zmir - 2009
- 2. Outline
- 1* web technologies in language learning
- 2* language exchange communities- how they work?
- 3* study
- 4* conclusions
- 3. One way Exclusive Web designer Static In the hands of few WEB 1.0
- 4. Social networks Collaboration Co-creation Shared control My Web WEB 2.0
- 5. Todays students are D i g i tal Nat i ves ( Marc Prensky , 2001 )
- Visual learners
- Short attention spans
- Use technology to express themselves
- Information analysts
- Content producers
- Real-time learners - instant messages.
- 6. Examples of Web 2.0 Technologies
- 7. N ew technologies (self-access multimedia facilities, for instance) provide the practical means whereby learners can take a more active part in decisions involved in learning . Raya, M. K. & Fernandez, J. M. P. (2002). Learner Autonomy and New Technologies . Educational Media International.39 (1) 61-68
- 8. language exchange communities
- 12. Worldia
- 13. T he e nglish l anguage i nstitute, in the University of Florida f ive i nternational s tudents l earning e nglish Mixxer, Worldia i nterview
- 15. Is it easy to use? Is it interesting? Why? Is it good for English practice? How? How do es it contribute to your independent skills? What other special features do es it have ?
- 16. Extracts from students it keeps me alert in English. you can only learn some in class, so tools outside the classroom are important. thanks to this, I feel I have developed more awareness for my learning. it is very good for English practice. I feel less nervous when I practice English with it. it is essential in a way that it increases contact with language it is very motivating to use it. I can practice English in a way that I want. the potential use for language learning is great as it helps foster learner autonomy. I can learn daily expressions through this we b site.
- 17. L anguage awareness Learner independence Less threatened atmosphere Learner interaction Authentic Language Exposure
- 18. THANK YOU
View more >