katy of sky road – chapter 1 katy: she likes dancing. she is popular with children and they think...
out of 57
Post on 15-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- Katy of Sky Road Chapter 1 Katy: She likes dancing. She is popular with children and they think she can dance well. Wesley: Katys ballroom partner. He is a prefect. Melissa: Katys friend. Zekes friend Zeke: He smokes. Katy's and Melissas friend. Ricardo: Famous. Starred in a TV advertisement. He is a good break dancer. Mr Samuels: Ballroom dance instructor.
- Slide 3
- Picture Frame Chapter 2 Auntie Rose: Hectors mothers sister. She cooks and cleans and lives with Hector and Katy. She once lost her heart on a struggle hero who disappeared. She watches Days, smokes and can bake. Hector: Katys father. He is a youth leader. He likes to debate about current affairs that are in the newspaper. He dislikes blacks slightly. He likes Wesley. He is strict. Pastor: Good friends with Hector. Mario: Colours hair Setting: Theres a shebeen across Katys house.
- Slide 4
- Sugar Water Chapter 3 Katy- Katy has a nightmare. She falls down stairs and wakes up before she could see whose feet are in front of her. Auntie Rose- Always says Things will be better in the morning Mario-Lives in Katys backyard in Wendy house with Angelo Guest Speaker-Talks about Tik at school.
- Slide 5
- 1. Why do you think Chapter 1 is called All eyes on me? She danced with a popular guy and everybody was watching them. The song they danced to was called All eyes on me.
- Slide 6
- 2. Which word in the following list is the odd one out? Explain why. Skateboard, ghetto-blaster, beat- boxes, Tupac, cell phone, rap, braid. Skateboard does not have anything to do with dancing
- Slide 7
- 2b) What do the words in the list tell you about the period in which the novel is set? 2009. They talk about cell phones, rapping and beat- boxing. All these became popular from the year 2000 onwards.
- Slide 8
- 3a) What reason does Hector give Katy for wanting her to try on her mothers ball gown? He wants to take a picture and put it next to her mothers.
- Slide 9
- 3b) Why else might he want her to wear it? Katy may remind him of his wife.
- Slide 10
- 4a) Do you agree with Auntie Rose that Hector thinks in terms of race? Explain your viewpoint. Yes. Hector refers to coloureds as us and blacks as them.
- Slide 11
- 4b) What are Hectors views of the government? Quote from the text to support your ideas. The government favours blacks. Where do all the blacks come from all of a sudden, when there have been coloured families on that list for the past thirty odd years?
- Slide 12
- 5. Ricardo. He shuffles into place in the line-up of latecomers, still doing up the buttons of his shirt. Wesley glares at him and looks at me smugly. Ricardo came late. Ricardo was not dressed properly. 5a. Give two possible reasons why Wesley glares at Ricardo in assembly
- Slide 13
- Wesley told Katy that Ricardo was trouble and by coming late Ricardo confirms Wesleys statement so he shows with his facial expression that he was right. 5b. Why do you think he looks at Katy smugly?
- Slide 14
- 6. Read the section in which Katy talks about her nightmare and then use your own words to describe Katys feelings during this dream. Quote from the section to back up your response. She is afraid because she uses words like treacherous, ominous Fear tightens its grip on me.
- Slide 15
- 7. What symptoms does Zeke have which show that he is ill? He coughs a lot. He has no appetite.
- Slide 16
- 8. Hector often refers to current news and issues in the country and overseas. Drug abuse The N2 Gateway Project Crime - Rape 8a. Write down three examples of these issues from the text.
- Slide 17
- 8. Hector often refers to current news and issues in the country and overseas. The Government is not effective enough. Unemployment and poverty. 8b. What is the general theme of all these issues?
- Slide 18
- 8. Hector often refers to current news and issues in the country and overseas. He becomes more strict in order to try and keep her safe. 8c. How do these issues affect Hectors parenting of Katy?
- Slide 19
- Chapter 4 - Clouds Ricardo: gets permission to wear braided hair at school Wesley: What others say about Wesley he is in love with Katy and Zeke. Wesley buys Katy Bar One and Pepsi and hold Katys hand. Practises dance with Katy. Katy: spends holiday at Zekes house. Hector: has a restless vacation. Criticises everybody thats in the news. Auntie Rose: Hector needs a girlfriend Mario: Sells Easter eggs for extra money so he can go to Paris Melissa and Zeke: smoke openly. Do badly at school. Throw away their report cards.
- Slide 20
- Chapter 5 - Hello Ricardo: Asks Katy for her number Katy: Goes home without practising ballroom with Wesley Wesley: Phones Katy Zeke: wants to know what is wrong with Katy Melissa: Says they must work together on homework, each must do a third.
- Slide 21
- 9a) Match the character in column A with the occupation in column B Ricardo taxi gaartjie Mario hairdresser Hector baggage controller Antie Rose Home executive Rasta taxi driver
- Slide 22
- 9b) What is the more common name for a home executive? Explain how this description is not used seriously by Antie Rose (Ch. 8) Housewife She has never ever referred to herself as a home executive and she uses it to make the visitor sound more high class.
- Slide 23
- 10) Read the three quotations below, and then say for each one who is speaking and what theme it relates to (explain your response each time): a)Im addictedI cant think before I have my caffeine fix. (Ch. 3) Mario says it. It relates to the theme of being addicted to any substance.
- Slide 24
- 10) Read the three quotations below, and then say for each one who is speaking and what theme it relates to (explain your response each time): b) Ill do anything to make money, as long as its legal. Ricardo the theme of dreams and aspirations. Ricardo feels with money he can realise his dreams.
- Slide 25
- 10) Read the three quotations below, and then say for each one who is speaking and what theme it relates to (explain your response each time): c) It is high time your father took interest in a nice companion (Ch. 7) Auntie Rosie, relationships. Auntie Rosie wants Hector to begin a relationship with a woman.
- Slide 26
- 11a) How does hip-hop make Katy feel? It takes her to a place where she can just be. She is one with the sound, with the rhythm and with the breeze in the trees outside. She feels light and free and with that freedom comes a peace that she cant explain. She feels unbound and feels who she truly is. She feels like flying.
- Slide 27
- 11b) Have you ever had an experience that has made you feel that way? Describe it in your own words. I feel like this when I pray.
- Slide 28
- 12a) What is AA (Ch. 4 and Ch. 8)? Alcoholics Anonymous
- Slide 29
- 12b) What does it tell you about Hectors past? Hector must have been an alcoholic which means he must have been addicted to alcohol.
- Slide 30
- 13) When Katy tells Ricardo that her father is very strict, he comments, Dont blame your dad for caring. (Ch. 12) a)What does this comment tell you about Ricardos character? Ricardo has respect for adults, he understands that adults care.
- Slide 31
- 13) When Katy tells Ricardo that her father is very strict, he comments, Dont blame your dad for caring. (Ch. 12) b) What does Ricardo tell Katy happened to his own father? His father took one look at him when he was born and left. Ricardo would not recognise him if he walked past him in the street.
- Slide 32
- 14a) What does Melissa mean when she advises Katy to tell a white lie (Ch. 7)? A white lie is supposedly a lie that will not get you into trouble.
- Slide 33
- 14b) What does this advice tell you about Melissa? She does not mind lying.
- Slide 34
- 14c) Does Katy take her advice? Explain your answer in full. Yes. She lies to her father about doing the science project with Melissa.
- Slide 35
- 15. Why does Katy give Ricardo her mothers gold chain? Katy wants to show Ricardo that he can trust her because she trusts him with her most important possession.
- Slide 36
- Chapter 13 - 25 1.Hes on my case, I say. Thinks you[re a tikkop and that I must know all about it. Tik? Zeke shreiks. Where must I get tik? Every second house is a tikhuisie. Melissa laughs. Ja Zeke. Where must you get it? Your father must wake up. a)Give the meaning of tikkop and tikhuisie and then say why you think these expressions are not written in Standard English. Tikkop Tik user Tikhuisie house that sells tik It is the way the language is used in Cape Town.
- Slide 37
- b) Is Zeke being honest in his reply to Katy in this extract? No He is a tik user and everybody knows where to buy tik.
- Slide 38
- c) Irony is when the reader knows something the character doesnt. Explain the irony in this extract. Irony You say/do one thing BUT something completely different happens. Zeke says he does
View more >