job satisfaction in bsnl
of 29 /29
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONIt describe about the job satisfactions levels in the Bharat Sanchar Nigiam Limited
- By B.SAI KUMAR 12251017 KLUBusiness School
- Introduction: Definition: Job satisfaction refers to a persons feeling of satisfaction on the job, which acts as a motivation to work. It is not the self-satisfaction, happiness or self-contentment but the satisfaction on the job. Job satisfaction is defined as the, pleasurable emotional state resulting from the appraisal of ones job as achieving of facilitating the achievement of ones job values
- Telecome sector: Telecom in India was started by private persons in 1851 as Public Utility Service. Subsequently it was taken over by Govt. of India in 1943 as department of Tele communication; it functions under the communication ministry headed by a Cabinet Minister. The office is situated at New Delhi, having circle offices in all states in India. The circle office is located at the capital city of the every district of all states under supervision of General Manager. It is worlds 7th largest company and Indias No.1 Telecom Company and celebrating 150 years of Telecom Services
- Rationality for selecting the Industry: Telecom sector is the industry in the expansion mode and telecom industry in India especially BSNL is going through a process of organizational change. With this emphasis on the change. There is a lot expectation from the employees and redesigning of the jobs. In this context I felt that there is a need for scientific study on the job satisfaction of telecom employees in BSNL.
- Variables: According to Abraham A. Kumar there two types of variables, which determine the job satisfaction of an individual. These are: 1. Organization Variables 2. Personal Variables Organization variables: Occupational Level: The higher the level of the job, the greater the satisfaction of the individuals. This is because, higher level of jobs carry greater prestige and self-control. This relationship between occupational level and job satisfaction. Job content: Greater the variation in job content and less the repetitiveness with which the tasks must be performed, the greater the satisfaction of the individuals involved Considerate Leadership: People to be treated with consideration. Hence considerate leadership results in higher job satisfaction than in considerate leadership
- Pay and Promotional opportunities: All other things being equal these two variables are positively related to job satisfaction. Interaction among Employees: Here the question is, when interaction in the work group is a source of job satisfaction and when it is not. Interaction is more satisfying when: It results in the cognition that other persons attitudes are similar to ones own since, this permits are ready calculability of the others behavior and constitutes a validation of ones self. It results in being accepted by other and It facilitates and achievement of goals
- Conceptual Model Job satisfaction Payroll and Promotional Activities Considerate leadership Occupational Activities
- Personal Variables For some people, it appears that most jobs will be dissatisfying irrespective of the organizational conditions, where for other most jobs will be satisfying personal variable for this difference. Age Educational Level Role perception Gender Department
- organizational unit changes that would boost performance should be made
- Review of Literature: Job satisfaction reduces absenteeism, labor turnover and accidents. Job satisfaction increases employees morale, productivity, etc. Job satisfaction creates innovative ideas among the employees. Individuals may become more loyal towards the organization Employees will be more satisfied if they get what they expected, job satisfaction relates to inner feelings of workers. Job satisfaction and dissatisfaction not only depends on the nature of the job, it also depend on the expectation whats the job supply to a Lower convenience costs, higher organizational and social and intrinsic reward will increase job satisfaction. Job satisfaction is complex phenomenon with multi facets; it is influenced by the factors like salary, working environment, autonomy, communication, and organizational commitment.
- Review of Literature: Research Problem: To identify the extent of job satisfaction in the BSNL employees and its impact on the job performance of the employees. It further explains the area on which employees are mostly dissatisfied. To evaluate the working environment in BSNL. Scope of the Study: In the survey an attempt has been made to analyze the job satisfaction of employees of BSNL,Vijayawada & Hyderabad. Job satisfaction of the employees has been analyzed on the basis of the following
- Salary and monetary benefits Job security Promotion policy Working environment Employees participation in management Freedom of expressions Nature of job Interest taken by superiors Superiors and sub-ordinate relationship Medicare Loans Conveyance L.T.C.
- Objectives of the Study: The main aim of the study is to analyze and examine level of job satisfaction among the BSNL employees and to know the problems faced by the employees of the various categories. The specific objectives are as follows: To present a profile of BSNL and organizational structure etc., To observe the level of satisfaction among of employees relating to the nature of the job and other factors. To identify the extent of job satisfaction in the BSNL employees and its impact on the job performance of the employees. To evaluate the working environment in BSNL. To examine satisfaction regarding the salary and other benefits of its employees. To suggest suitable measures to improve the overall satisfaction of the employees in the organization.
- Research Design: Method of data collection: In the preparation of this report, the researcher the data from different sources. The sources of data as follows: Primary data: This data is gathered from first-hand information sources by the researcher, this data collection from employees, managers, clerks etc., by administrating the questionnaire having face to face interaction with employees. Secondary data: This will give the theoretical basis required for the report presentation which can be available from various sources such as magazines, office files, inter office manual and web site.
- Sample Size: 100 Sample Design:(Convenient Sampling) Measurement of Scale: A Likerts scale was used to that the respondent can select a numerical score ranking from 1-5 for each statement to indicate the degree of agreement or otherwise, where ,1,2,3,4 and 5 denote Strongly Disagree, Agree, Neutral, Disagree, Strongly Disagree respectively. Tools for Data Analysis: Description analysis and frequencies and Chi-square test are used.
- Data Analysis: Out of 100 respondents for the given question, about 19% of respondents belongs to the age 20-20, 56% of respondents belongs to 31-40, 25% belongs to 41-50
- Interpretation: For the given question, out of 100 respondents about 62% of respondents are male and 38% of respondents are female. This shows that males highly satisfied in the job rather then the females in the organization availability.
- Interpretation: Out of 100 respondents 40% people are neutral satisfied their job and 32% people are satisfied and 19% people are highly satisfied and 8 people are dissatisfied and 1% member is highly dissatisfied
- Interpretation: Out of 100 respondents 51% are satisfied with the job and kind of work they do and 23% are neutrally satisfied and 20% are highly satisfied and only 6% are dissatisfied with job and kind of work they do and there is no people are highly dissatisfied with the job and kind of work they do.
- Interpretation: Out of 100 respondents 44% people are feeling job as a challenging and interesting and 24% are felling highly agreeing the challenging and 27% are feeling neutral on the job challenging and the interesting and 5% are not agreeing with the job nature. And no one can highly dissatisfied about the job nature
- Interpretation: Out of 100 respondents 42% are satisfied with the opportunities and training and 33% are on the neutral and 23% are highly satisfied with the opportunities and training tools.
- Interpretation: Out of 100 respondents 46% are satisfied with the recognizing of work by Manager and 25% are highly satisfied and 27% have neutral feeling and 1% and 1% are dissatisfied and highly dissatisfied.
- Interpretation; Out of 100 respondents 11% are highly satisfied with the working conditions and 56% are satisfied and 26% have the neutral feeling and 7% are dissatisfied with the working conditions
- Hypothesis: H0: There is no significant difference in job satisfaction by gender. H1: There is significant difference in job satisfaction by gender. Calculate value is: 0.871 Tabulated value is: 0.5 Calculate value is greater than the Tabulated value in this way Null hypothesis (H0) is rejected and Alternative Hypothesis (H1) is accepted H1 Is accepted and there is a significant difference in job satisfaction by gender.
- Findings: It is observed that there is a significant difference in job satisfaction and Gender. It is observed that there is no significant difference in job satisfaction in terms of age Out of 100 respondents 44% people are feeling job as a challenging and interesting and 24% are felling highly agreeing the challenging and 27% are feeling neutral on the job challenging and the interesting and 5% are not agreeing with the job nature. And no one can highly dissatisfied about the job nature. Out of 100 respondents 19% are highly satisfied with the Manager helping to improve their skills and 48% are agreed and 30% are having the neutral feeling and 3% are dissatisfied with the manager helping nature(In terms of their view). Out of 100 respondents 42% are satisfied with the opportunities and training and 33% are on the neutral and 23% are highly satisfied with the opportunities and training tools.
- Recommendations: Some of them are feeling dissatisfied with the job nature for that conducting the Creative programs to Interact with the employees. Majority of the employees feel that there should be an incentive wage scheme for efficient work in the organization. Some of them are feeling dissatisfaction towards the employee wellness programs such as Birthday announcements and employee of the month conduct the better employee wellness programs to increase the job satisfaction and performance. The management should be more helpful and sympathetic towards the problems faced by the workers at the workstation. Improve the distribution process of work in the organization and conduct the task fairly. Improve the Employee welfare programs to increase the morality of the employees and their loyalty toward the organization.
- Almost all the employees are satisfied with the wages paid to them. 70% of the employees feel that there should be an incentive wages scheme for efficient work in the organization. Employees are satisfied with the present working conditions and feel secure about their job. 70% of the employees feel that the management is sympathetic to some extent in their problems faced at workstation, Management shares a very good relation with the workers. Overall the employees of BSNL are having a very high job satisfaction and hence they are working with great enthusiasm and zeal to achieve their organizations goal
- Reference: Ashwathappa. K Human Resource Management Tata Mc Grew Hill Publications Deith Davis Human Relation at Work Tripathi Personnel management & industrial Relations P. Subba Rao Essentials of Human Resources and Industrial Relations C.B. Mamoria Human Resource Management