jelly bean two
Post on 18-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. J e ll y B e a n sYou Ask???
- Eat one
- Save the other one for an activity later in thepresentation
- Hope you picked your favorite colour.
- Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
- Margaret Mead (1901 - 1978)
Presenters: Kelli Boklaschuk & MJ Sherven 3. What are we all about?
- First it is necessary to stand on your own two feet. But the minute a man finds himself in that position, the next thing he should do is reach out his arms.
- Kristin HunterNovember 2003
4. Lets put it all into context shall we?
- Who is the AOK12S?
- AOK12S is made up of online educators, developers, administrators as well as entire online K-12 schools.
- The Association Structure members are all educators or associates of the Saskatoon Catholic Cyber School.
5. What is theAOK12S ?
- The goal of the Association is to provide a location where K-12 online educators, developers and administrators can gather.
- This virtual community will offer an environment which will be conducive to communication, resource sharing and team building.
- People from all nations should feel welcome to apply for membership as long as they are K-12 online educators, developers or administrators.Schools as a whole or individuals may also become members.
6. When was the AOK12S established?
- The Association was established Friday January 28, 2005 by Darren Cannell, Assistant Principal of the Saskatoon Catholic Cyber School.
- During the inaugural year there have not been membership fees.
A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops. Henry Brooks Adams (1838 - 1918) US historian, author 7. Where is the AOK12S based?
- The AOK12S is based out of Saskatoon Saskatchewan.
- The AOK12S is housed at theSaskatoon Catholic Cyber School.
8. Saskatoon Catholic Cyber School - How it all began
- January 1999, Darren Cannell, SCCS Assistant Principal was given release time to research the project.
- January 2000 project begins with four developers(Info Pro 10, English 30 B, Physics 20 & Math 90).
- Three courses were offered in the first semester of2000-2001.
The best way to predict the future is to invent it now. Arthur L. Costa(Creating the Future) 9. High School Information
- All courses have no face to face component and all material is delivered via an Internet learning platform.
- The Web CT platform makes it possible to create a vibrant online learning environment for high school students.
- Students can take between one and five online courses at a time.
- The start date for these courses is flexible.
- Students aregiven 150 calendar days to complete the required material.
10. Grade 12 Courses Currently Being Offered
- Calculus 30
- Chemistry 30
- Christian Ethics 30
- English Language Arts A30
- English Language Arts B30
- History 30
- Mathematics A30
- Mathematics B30
- Physics 30
My grade 12 Calculus mark wasnt good enough toget me into the college that I wanted, so I took CyberSchool and upgraded my Calculus mark. 11. Grade 11 Courses Currently Being Offered
- Christian Ethics 20
- Chemistry 20
- Creative Writing 20
- Information Processing 20
- Journalism 20
- Math 20
- Media Studies 20
- Physics 20
I really enjoy taking my sciences onlineas I can view the onlinelabs over and over again, which helpsme to understand the concepts better. 12. Grade 10 Courses Currently Being Offered
- Christian Ethics 10
- English as a Second Language
- Information Processing 10
- Mathematics 10
I took English as a Second Language and it reallyhelped me to improve my English and I was able to work at my own pace. 13. Grade 9 Courses Currently Being Offered
- Mathematics 90
- Mathmatiques 90
14. Elementary School Information
- Since 2002 SCCS has been offering non-credit courses to elementary classes via the Internet.
- The online material provided by SCCS for the elementary schools comes in two forms:
- Online classrooms
- Learning objects.
- Unlike independent high school classes, elementary homeroom teachers use the resources to enhance what happens in face to face classrooms
15. Grade 7 & 8 Mathematics Resources
- The grade 7/8 Mathematics resources are designed to be a supplemental resource for students to use, to help reinforce Math concepts.
- The resources are organized by strand and then by unit, with each unit placed parallel to the objectives in the curriculum.
- Each unit contains a short lesson, as well as ten interactive questions to help reinforce the math objectives.
16. Grade 4 & 5 Technology Lessons
- These courses are essentially secure online elementary school classrooms.
- The classrooms include lessons and projects to fulfill each component of the technology scope and sequence for the grade 4 & 5 levels.The lessons are however, appropriate for students in grades 3 - 8.
- The classroom has other resources including secure e-mail, chat rooms & a bulletin board.
- This classroom allows teachers to monitor their students activities while logged into the course.
17. On the Lighter Side!
- Jellybean Research
18. Why was the AOK12S formed?
- The purpose of the Association of Online K-12 Schools is to develop interest, participation and cooperation in a sharing environment with the online K-12 school membership community.
- Further, the membership will provide a virtual association which will utilize the latest advancements in technology and services to assist its members in teaching and developing online."
19. Benefits of AOK12S Membership
- Newsletters released quarterly
- Showcase Units
- Online collaboration in AOK12S Learning Community
- SCCS Learning Communities
- Worldwide communication with online k-12 educators
Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard to sleep after. 20. SCCS Learning Communities
- Cyber School has developed various Online Learning Communities.
- The Learning Communities serve as a collection of useful resources for grade levels from kindergarten to grade 12 and encompass all subjects; from Physical Education to Aboriginal/First Nations Education.
- The resources are for both online uses as well as printable copies for classroom use.
- Blog system in place to facilitate the evaluation of web sites and units while also categorizing them.
21. AOK12S Web Site As an AOK12S member you will receive log in credentials to access the AOK12S Learning Community as well as the Showcase unit area. 22. AOK12S Registration
- Free to register
- Fill out the online form on the AOK12S web site.
23. AOK12S Current Members
- Membership spans 3 continents (North America, Australia & Africa)
- Number of schools memberships - 16
- Number of educator memberships - 60
A world community can exist only with world communication, which means something more than extensive shortwave facilities scattered about the globe. It means common understanding, a common tradition, common ideas, and common ideals. Robert M. Hutchins (1899 - 1977) US educator, writer 24. From the Perspective of an Online Educator
- The Association is an incredibly effective way to share materials with other educators.Users can go online to find lessons or materials in the Learning Communities.A great many of them are print-friendly which makes it useful for classroom work as well. No use re-inventing the wheel!
- Since the materials are sorted by grade and subject it makes the search so much easier.
25. From the Perspective of an Online Educator
- Teachers are given actual content to teach to their students.
- The elementary computer lessons are user-friendly for both students and teachers.
- There are many units of study that can be either completed online or printed off and worked on in the classroom.
26. From the Perspective of an Online Educator
- The information offered online through the SCCS Learning Communities is user friendly so that the members can follow without much need for support.
- The high school courses developed by Cyber School teachers can be accessed through the Learning Communities.Exams are not available.