introduction to pinterest
of 15 /15
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThere is true value in the Pinterest platform. It is already changing the online social mix and some marketing programs entirely. This introductory presentation gives a excusive overview of Pinterest and how it can assist your company's overall marketing strategy.
- PinterestAn Introduction | July 10, 2012By: Julia Russell
- Agenda Overview Timeline History The Average User Experience Marketing Opportunities Why is Pinterest so crucial for your brand? Big Business How are large companies utilizing the social space? The Legal Deal Concerns about Copyright Infringement How to track your websites content on Pinterest Agency Reach Why should agencies get involved on Pinterest? Agency Strategy Closing thoughts and Demo
- Overview What is Pinterest and how do I use it? Pinterest rhymes with interest, wink It is essentially a categorical collage for adults What is a Pin? Everything and anything A visual representation of a thought, idea, concept, or simply a beautifulHow to get started: photo1. Sign up What is a PinBoard?2. Add the Pin It button to the bookmarks bar of your browser You can call it a digital bulletin board3. Start pinning by either finding pins I.e. a board for cars, recipes, cute yourself (ie: browse the internet) or animals, etc. explore Pinterest using the search button to find what others have Like a bookmarked reminder already pinned
- Timeline History Ben Silbermann and Evan Sharp created a website designed for visual collections. Nov 2009 Bens fiance came up with the name Pinterest. Closed Beta launched Mar 2010 Named one of TIME Magazines 50 Best Websites of 2011 Aug 2011 Received $27m in funding from Andreessen Horowitz Oct 2011 Sets company value to $200m Launched as one of Facebooks first Open Graph Timeline apps Jan 2012 Named best New Startup of 2011 by TechCrunch Officially drove more traffic to retailers than LinkedIn, YouTube and Google+ Feb 2012 Valued between $1 - $1.5bn following a $100m round of funding May 2012
- The Average UserData Source:Engauge
- According to Marketing Mag:Marketing Opportunities Brands using Pinterest to drive traffic to ecommerce sites are Pinterest drives traffic to your site reaping the rewards, with the one- year-old social network already Especially good for: driving more revenue per click than E-commerce sites Facebook and Twitter Drives purchase intent by converting Pinterest clicks into dollars in the Gift section blogs How it drives referral traffic? By adding the pin-it button of course! Pin-to-win contests Why would brands want to target people on Pinterest? It contains a highly concentrated group of evangalists/ early adopters/ buyers/ and whatever else a brand could hope for Good for businesses with a traffic-based model
- Big Business How are they doing it? Learn what appeals to Pinterest users Take advantage of popular categories Be visualHere are ten brands who have drawn in loads offans with Pinterest according to Online MBA: 1. Whole Foods 6. Random House Books 2. Mashable 7. Southwest Airlines 3. Nordstrom 8. GE 4. Benjamin Moore 9. Major League Baseball 5. The Weather Channel 10. Wall Street Journal
- The Legal Deal Photographers, stock image providers and others are stating their concern over their copyrighted content being sourced by non- owners On Flickr, only content that is deemed safe, public and has the sharing button enabled can be pinned to Pinterest Pinterest measures: Take down policy Protection via the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Beware of brand squatting Regular people can grab your name with good/bad intentions Suggestion: Grab your name anyway, whether you use it or not
- How to Track Your Websites Content4 ways to measure Pinterest using Google Analytics Referral Reports Measuring is critical. One way to do it Go to Traffic Sources > Sources > is to use Google Analytics on your Referrals report website. There, you can see how Custom Reports much of your traffic is coming from Pinterest. And if youre actually Lets you get down to the specifics. selling things on Pinterest you can Dashboards measure that directly. You can add all the information you need to see on a regular basis just by adding widgets to your dashboard. Multi-Channel Funnels Pinterest primarily drives awareness of your brand/product/site, but people come back later to convert.
- Other Ways to Track Influence and Analytics http://www.pinreach.com/ - demo http://www.pinerly.com/ - waiting list SEO: Pinterest can help build valuable backlinks A backlink is created no matter what to the originating source The more backlinks, the better chances your site will get ranked higher in search engine results When users re-pin, each time this creates a new backlink Imagine if your content went viral?
- Agency Reach Why should an agency join Pinterest? Establishing brand recognition Youre reaching out to more people online Connecting to target markets Generating more links if pinned off of your own website Thus driving more traffic to the site Potential for leads to come through Ability to pin a landing page perhaps Example of one of the first Agencies to join Pinterest according to fuelingnewbusiness.com: http://pinterest.com/weareholler/
- Agency / Brand Strategy Goal What is the implementation goal? What can Pinterest provide the brand that is not offered elsewhere across the Web? Editorial Team Who will participate in decision making for the platform and brainstorm board and pin topics? How often will the Editorial Team meet? Audience Who are you trying to reach? (Demographics, psychographics) Voice/Tone What is the personality you intend to portray? (Funny, serious, friendly, informative) Content Strategy What boards will you create and what are the pins that best suit each board? (The number of boards and pins on each) Contribution Allocation Who will contribute to each board? (Just the brand or will other people have rights to add pins and collaborate?) Pin Recommendation & Approval Who will find, produce and recommend pins? Who will approve the pins prior to uploading? Community Managers Who will monitor the page? Pinning Calendar When will you post the boards and pins? (Timing and frequency) Moderation Schedule How often will boards be monitored? How often will the community manager respond to comments? Response What will you do if a user comments on a pin? Follow Strategy Which user accounts will you follow to start? What is your ongoing strategy for following users? Emergency Plan How will you react if there is a negative response to a pin or board? Launch Plan How will you bring people to your page? (Other social channels, .com sites, in-store promotions, QR codes, email)
- Closing Thoughts and Demo There is real value in the platform It is changing the social mix and almost entire marketing programs Whats the risk? Nada!
- Sources http://mashable.com/?p=985417&preview=true http://smallbiztrends.com/2012/05/the-truth-about-pinterest-for-your-small- business.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Fe ed%3A+SmallBusinessTrends+%28Small+Business+Trends%29 http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/why-flickr-pinterest-need-each- other.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed% 3A+readwriteweb+%28ReadWriteWeb%29 http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/pinterest-will-boost-your-referral-traffic- but-can-it-boost- sales.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed% 3A+readwriteweb+%28ReadWriteWeb%29 http://www.sydgill.com/whats-pinterest-and-how-do-i-use-it/ http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/may/17/pinterest-valued-at-more- than-1bn http://www.verticalmeasures.com/webinars/marketing-your-brand-on-pinterest- may-10-2012/ http://www.engauge.com/assets/pdf/Engauge-Pinterest.pdf