Intro to Virtual Worlds
Post on 29-Oct-2014
DESCRIPTIONOverview of the different kind of virtual worlds available today.
- 1. Introduction to Virtual Worlds Kathleen Yavorn ITEC 830 Spring 2009
2. What is considered a Virtual World?
- (vrchwl wrld)
- (computer science) A navigable visual digital environment. Sci-Tech Dictionary
- Computer-based simulated environment intended for its users to inhabit and interact via avatars.
- The model world may simulate rules based on the real world or some hybrid fantasy world. www.wikipedia.com
3. What is an Avatar? Embodiment: a new personification of a familiar idea; "the embodiment of hope"; "the incarnation of evil"; "the very avatar of cunning"the manifestation of a Hindu deity (especially Vishnu) in human or superhuman or animal form; 4. 5. 6. Where did the idea of Virtual World come from? Cyberspace "a consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions."It was actuallyin his 1982 short storyBurning Chrome in Omnimagazine, in which he invents the word cyberspace. 7. 8. Where did the idea ofSecond Life come from? 9. How Does one Communicate through Virtual World?
- Voice Command
10. Lets look at some Virtual Worlds from the past 11. 1962 12. 1968 Ivan SutherlandsVirtual Reality Device 13. 1974 Maze War 14. 1978 15. 16. First online virtual world, LucasFilm Games for Commodore 64 computer (Quantum Link service)Habitat 1987 17. Palace Cybertown 18. Worlds Away 1980s- 1990s 19. 20. Meridian 59 was the first game to incorporate large numbers of players in a single world, a persistent world, and many of the other identifying elements of MMOGs (Massively MultiPlayer Online Game)1996 21. 22. Virtual Worlds and Education 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. Geared toward 8-14 year olds Whyville 28. Top 10 most popular Virtual Worlds
- World of Warcraft, released 2004
- over 11 million subscribers.
2.Habbo Hotel, released 2000 over 8 million active users. 29. Top 10 most popular Virtual Worlds 3. RuneScape, released 2001 5 million active users.
- Club Penguin, released 2006 -
- over 5 million active users.
30. Top 10 most popular Virtual Worlds
- Webkinz, released 2005
- over 4 million active users
6.Gaia Online, released 2003 over 2 million active users. 31. Top 10 most popular Virtual Worlds 7.Guild Wars, released 2005 over 2 million active users. 8.Puzzle Pirates, released 2003 over 1.5 million active users 32. Top 10 most popular Virtual Worlds 9.Lineage I/II, released 1998 over 1 million subscribers. 10.Second Life, released 2003 over 500,000 active users. 33. Any Questions?