International Graduate Student Orientation

Download International Graduate Student Orientation

Post on 11-Jul-2015




2 download

Embed Size (px)


Information for International Students

International Graduate Student OrientationSchool of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS)

This Presentation CoversIntro Where is the International Services Office (ISO)?Who is my ISO advisor?

Immigration What do I need to bring for my immigration check in? How do I maintain my immigration status?

Academics What is the role of my academic advisor? Do I have to take the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) course?

What to Submit English Language Requirements Official Transcripts

About GW & transportation in DC

IntroImmigrationAcademicsAboutQuizSubmitInternational Services Office (ISO)Your ISO Advisor

Computer Science (CS) Students: Christopher Pedo,

All Other Departments: Courtney Luque,

Where to Find Us

ISO AddressOld Main Suite 2051922 F Street, NWWashington, DC 20052

(202) 994-4477iso@gwu.edu IntroImmigrationAcademicsAboutQuizSubmitMandatory ISO Check-inWhen you arrive in the US, you must physically check-in with the ISO. More info on the mandatory check-in.

You Must Bring:Your passport with visa, I-94, I-20/ DS-2019Address & phone number in USTransfer students: all previous I-20s & immigration documents

Check In with ISO When You Arrive in the U.S. IntroImmigrationAcademicsAboutQuizSubmitYou must attend the ISO Orientation for new graduate students.

WHEN: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 Visit International Services Orientation page for more information

If you do not attend on August 19 you will have to make it up at a later date. Required ISO Orientation/ Immigration Session IntroImmigrationAcademicsAboutQuizSubmitTo maintain legal visa status, you must be registered and enrolled in classes full time during fall and spring semesters.

Full time student = 9 credits each semester

Will I need to take summer courses? Most students who take a full course load during fall and spring semesters are eligible to take summer off from classes.

Reduced course load Check with your academic advisor and the ISO about applying for a reduced course load.

Maintaining StatusIntroImmigrationAcademicsAboutQuizSubmit Main point of contact in the department Develop, review, and approve program plans for study Answer questions and get advice from your Advisor Helps monitor your academic progress

Contact your department if you do not know your Academic Advisor.

Academic AdvisorIntroImmigrationAcademicsAboutQuizSubmitFor students who do not meet minimum TOEFL/IELTS requirements.The EAP course is one, 3-credit course that you must take during your first semester. You must receive a grade of a B or better, in order to fulfill the requirement.

Do I need to take the EAP course?If you need to take the EAP course, it will be listed on your admissions letter. You will be automatically registered for the EAP course you need to take. English for Academic Purpose (EAP) CourseIntroImmigrationAcademicsAboutQuizSubmitAll students are subject to English language requirements.

If you have previous degrees from institutions in the United States or any of the countries listed, you may be exempt from this requirement.

If you do not meet the above exemption, you must submit passing TOEFL or IELTS scores.

Minimum scores required for a waiver from English language courses: TOEFL iBT: 100 IELTS: overall band score of 7.0 with no individual band score below 6.0

If you do not meet the requirements, you have to enroll in an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) course your first semester. Submit: English Language RequirementsIntroImmigrationAcademicsAboutQuizSubmitReview the official transcript policy for SEAS graduate students

Deadlines to submit official transcriptsFall Admission: October 1stSpring Admission: May 1st

What if I dont submit my transcripts on time? Failure to submit your transcripts will result in a hold being placed on your record.

Please Note: Students from China, India and Iran have special instructions on how to submit official transcripts.

Submitting Official TranscriptsSend Official Transcripts to: SEAS Office of Graduate Admissions Suite 103 725 23rd Street NW Washington, DC 20052

IntroImmigrationAcademicsAboutQuizSubmitColonial CentralHolds a number of Student Services Offices:Cashier (payment processing)GWorld Card (University ID/ meal plan)RegistrarStudent AccountsStudent Financial Assistance

Tompkins HallGraduate Admissions Office: Room 103 Classes

Around Foggy Bottom Campus

IntroImmigrationAcademicsAboutQuizSubmitMetro and Bus- WMATA

DC Circulator

Shuttles from GW Foggy Bottom Campus to other GW campuses (Mt. Vernon, Auburn)

SmarTrip CardYou can use SmarTrip on the bus and metro. Learn more about the SmarTrip card

Transportation Around D.C.

IntroImmigrationAcademicsAboutQuizSubmitNow take the quiz in BlackboardIntroImmigrationAcademicsAboutQuizSubmit


View more >