integrating ict in hekasi
Click here to load reader
Post on 12-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONa sample powerpoint presentation in integrating ICT in the social studies class in elementary grades in the Philippines
- 1. Introduction
- The evolution of technology has an impact on the way we live, work, teach and learn. According to Kofi Annan, Secretary-General of the United Nations, Information and Communication Technology has transformed education.
- Indeed, what we are witnessing is a revolution of education.. Many schools are attempting to achieve functionality and excellence along the standards set by international trends. Some believe that ICT provides global marketing opportunities. Others believe that ICT helps students broaden their knowledge base.
- Whatever the belief, the utilisation of ICT in Asia to date has mainly focused on learning about hardware and different software packages. Not many schools focus on implementing ICT to truly benefit student learning. While some have tried to implement various ICT strategies, they now face the challenge of implementing them effectively.
2. Why integrate ICT? This century, the teacher needs to explore and demonstrate how ICTs can be used in her classto improve the quality of education for all, and better prepare the youth for the demands of the knowledgesociety and the global community. Testing innovative models of ICT use and of ICT-based teacher education teaching-learning methods, and curriculum/materials development in schools and in other places of learning are musts. Improving connectivity and access to the wealth of educational resources through the establishment of ICT centers in schools must be the concern of schools to meet this demand. 3. Philippines:Through professional development workshops, teachers learn how to create structured lessons and projects in specific learning areas, such as Science, Mathematics, English, Pilipino (the national language) and Social Studies. They also learn how to integrate lessons across different learning areas in the curriculum, and how to design inquiry-based activities, such as online treasure hunts, Webquests, and telecollaborative projects. Starting in 2003, curriculum integration training for teachers and post-training pedagogical support have been intensified. ( http://www.unescobkk.org/education/ict/v2/info.asp?id=17377) 4. What can the teacher do?
- The changing role of the teacher, as he or she moves from instructor to facilitator, while underlining that the teacher still has a vital, if reoriented, has a role to play in student learning experiences.
- Overview of principles in ICT Integration:
- 1. Do not be afraid.Computers might look difficult, but
- anyone can learn to master them. All teachers can
- find ways to use ICT in the classroom, as long as they
- make sure they can cope with it.
- 2. Make a simple start.Start with very simple ICT-projects in your class. Only projects where you can solve the problems will be a success. Later on, with more experience, your projects can become more complex.
- 3. Make combinations.ICT projects are not necessarily extra lessons in your curriculum. Think about making combinations with your normal lessons. This will give you better control of the project, and thus it willincrease the chance for success. Furthermore, you have a back-up plan. It might also save you time.
6. B Pedagogical Knowledge A Content Knowledge C TechnologicalKnowledge Student Construction of Knowledge Technology Integration as a Transforming Teaching Strategy (Piersons Model of Technology Integration,1999) 7. Successful Integration of Information Technology Outcomes Use software to create, Manipulate and Enhance student learning UseProblem- Based assignments Establish Constructive Learningenvironments Johnson andLiu Integration Model (2000) 8. Sample ICT-Enhanced Teaching Strategies
- Scavenger Hunt
- Treasure Hunting
- Forum / Blogs
9. Thoughts to Bring Home A young lady was waiting for her flight in the boarding room of a big airport . 10. As she would need to wait many hours, she decided to buy a book to spend her time. She also bought a packet of cookies. 11. She sat down in an armchair, in the VIP room of the airport, to rest and read in peace. 12. Beside the armchair where the packet of cookies lay, a man sat down in the next seat, opened his magazine and started reading . 13. When she took out the first cookie, the man took one also.She felt irritated but said nothing. She just thought: What a nerve! If I was in the mood I would punch him for daring! 14. , For each cookie she took, the man took one too.This was infuriating her but she didnt want to cause a scene. 15. When only one cookie remained, she thought:ah... What this abusive man do now?Then, the man, taking the last cookie, divided it into half, giving her one half. 16. Ah! That was too much!She was much too angry now!In a huff, she took her book, her things and stormed to the boarding place. 17. When she sat down in her seat, inside the plane, she looked into her purse to take her eyeglasses, and, to her surprise, her packet of cookies was there, untouched, unopened! 18. She felt so ashamed!! She realized that she was wrong...She had forgotten that her cookies were kept in her purse. 19. The man had divided his cookies with her, without feeling angered or bitter. 20. ...while she had been very angry, thinking that she was dividing her cookies with him.And now there was no chance to explain herself...nor to apologize. 21. There are 4 things that you cannot recover. 22. The stone... ...after the throw! 23. The word... palavra... ...after its said! 24. Exploring and demonstrating how ICTs can be used in schools to improve the quality of education for all, and better prepare youth for the demands of the knowledge society Testing innovative models of ICT use and of ICT-based teacher education teaching-learning methods, and curriculum/materials development in schools and in other places of learning Improving connectivity and access to the wealth of educational resources through the establishment of SchoolNet in ASEAN countries 25. The occasion... ... after the loss! 26. The time... ...after its gone! 27. DepEd links to ICT-rich Resources for Teachers Happy teaching! 28. INTEGRATINGICTIN HEKASIVirginia N. Nadayag Facilitator