information literacy: the road to student success
Post on 25-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. CYNTHIA ROBERTS KAREN QUINN-WISNIEWSKI Information Literacy: The Road to Student Success
2. What are some characteristics of an information literate student? 3. Official Definition an intellectual framework for identifying, finding, understanding, evaluating and using information.It includesdeterminingthe nature and extent of needed information;accessinginformation effectively and efficiently;evaluatingcritically information and itssources ;incorporatingselected information in the learners knowledge base and value system;usinginformation effectively to accomplish a specific purpose Middle States Commission on Higher Education, Characteristics of Excellence in Higher Education: Eligibility Requirements and Standards for Accreditation, 2002 4. Why are we focusing so much attention on Information Literacy?
- This NOT just about technology, its about critical thinking and decision making.
- They will use these skills in college and for the rest of their lives.
5. Why are we focusing so much attention on Information Literacy? Middle States Commission on Higher Education
- Standard 14: Assessment of Student Learning
- Theintegration of information literacy across the curriculumto develop research and communication skills.
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education, Characteristics of Excellence in Higher Education: Eligibility Requirements and Standards for Accreditation, 2002 (italics ours)
- Standard 11:Educational Offerings:
- collaboration among professional library staff, faculty, and administratorsin fostering information literacy and technological competency skills across the curriculum;
- evidence of information literacy incorporated into the curriculum with syllabi, or other materialappropriate to the mode of teaching and learning, describing expectations for students demonstration of information literacy skills;
- assessment of information literacy outcomes , including assessment of related learner abilities;
6. Why is it harder than ever?
- TMI!No filter.
- growing quickly
- easy user-generated content
- lack of quality control
- Google makes it simple but not accurate
7. Are Search Engines Enough? 8. Library Home Page 9. 10. Information Literacy Core Competency
- First-year students should be able to
- Choose an appropriate topic for research
- Choose appropriate keywords for searching
- Understand the difference between magazines and journals
- Understand and execute a Boolean search
- Determine what kind of information is appropriate for the assignments
- Cite the information sources in an appropriate format
- Locate full-text information with a bibliographic citation
- Evaluate information by examining authenticity, currency, validity, and reliability
11. Model of Faculty/Librarian Collaboration
- Contact a CCBC librarian: to review assignments, to get a personalized tour of the Librarys web page, electronic resources, and services
- Give students a detailed written description and spend time explaining assignment in class
- Schedule a Library instruction session
12. Hands-on exercises, explore interactive information literacy sites