Inauguration of the renovated PMOD/WRC building August 28., 2013.
Post on 16-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- Inauguration of the renovated PMOD/WRC building August 28., 2013
- Slide 2
- Program 15:30-15:40Welcome President SFI, Dr. Walter Ammann 15:40-16:00Welcome Swiss confederation: Swiss representative at WMO, Director MeteoSwiss, Dr. Christian Plss Canton Graubnden: Chief Administrator, Mr. Eugen Arpagaus Community Davos: Mr. Reto Drst 16:00-16:10 Director PMOD/WRC: Past Present - Future 16:10-16:30Keynote by Dr. Ghassem R. Asrar, Director, World Climate Research Program, WMO: The importance of the PMOD/WRC for observing and understanding of the Global Climate System 16:30Inauguration (Photo in front of the building) 16:40Apro / Guided tour (V. Feubli, BBL) 28.8.2013 2
- Slide 3
- Welcome President Schweizerisches Forschungsinstitut fr Hochgebirgsklima und Medizin Dr. Walter Ammann 28.8.2013 3
- Slide 4
- Welcome Swiss representative at WMO Director MeteoSwiss Dr. Christian Plss 28.8.2013 4
- Slide 5
- Welcome Canton Graubnden Chief Administrator Eugen Arpagaus 28.8.2013 5
- Slide 6
- Welcome Community Davos Communal Council Reto Drst 28.8.2013 6
- Slide 7
- Past Present Future Director PMOD/WRC Werner Schmutz August 28., 2013
- Slide 8
- PMOD 1907 8 28.8.2013 Carl Dorno founded the PMOD in 1907 The PMOD was located in the Villa Dora until 1976 Carl Dorno 1865-1942
- Slide 9
- Dorno rays 9 28.8.2013 The focus of research at the Physikalisch- Meteorologisches Observatorium Davos (PMOD) was the measurement of radiation. In particular: UV radiation, which was later named Dorno Strahlung (Dorno rays is still used in medicine) The measurement platform was on the roof of Villa Dora Most instruments are preserved in the PMOD/WRC archive
- Slide 10
- The long path to the creation of the World Radiation Center 10 28.8.2013 1934 workshop at PMOD dedicated to compare pyrheliometers 1956 the Radiation Commission of IAM and the CIMO/WMO Working Group on Radiation held a joint meeting in Davos The main theme of the 1956 meeting was the definition of the Standard Scale of Radiation Conclusion: Need of regular International Pyrheliometer Comparisons...
- Slide 11
- 1 st International Pyrheliometer Comparison 1959 11 28.8.2013 1934 workshop at PMOD dedicated to compare pyrheliometers 1956 the Radiation Commission of IAM and the CIMO/WMO Working Group on Radiation held a joint meeting in Davos The main theme of the 1956 meeting was the definition of the Standard Scale of Radiation Conclusion: Need of regular International Pyrheliometer Comparisons... IPC I 1959 On the roof of the PMOD, house Dora, Davos Platz Walter Mrikofer director of PMOD 1970 creation of the World Radiation Center in Davos, thanks to the excellent world-wide contacts of Walter Mrikofer to WMO and IRC/IAMAS.
- Slide 12
- PMOD/WRC today 12 28.8.2013 PMOD/WRC is a branch of the foundation SFI World Radiation Center since 1971 Operational service Research Calibration of meteorological instruments measuring radiation Development of instruments and methods Energy balance and influence of radiation on the terrestrial climate Green house effect Sun-Earth connection
- Slide 13
- International Pyrheliometer Comparison IPC XI 2010 13 The PMOD/WRC is still responsible for the World Radiometric Reference (WRR) and the organization of the IPCs every 5 years. WRR 28.8.2013
- Slide 14
- Space experiments are built in house at PMOD/WRC 14 In particular for the measurement of the Total Solar Irradiance, e.g.: 1995 VIRGO/SOHO (PI Claus Frhlich) 2010 PREMOS/PICARD (PI Werner Schmutz) 2015 CLARA/NORSAT-1 28.8.2013
- Slide 15
- Total Solar Irradiance measurements in space since 1979 15 28.8.2013 PREMOS is the first fully SI traceable calibrated radiometer in space PREMOS/PICARD is the first fully SI traceable calibrated radiometer in space (SI = International System of Units) PICARD launched 2010
- Slide 16
- PREMOS on PICARD 16 28.8.2013 PREMOS is the first fully SI traceable calibrated radiometer in space PREMOS established the absolute value of the Total Solar Irradiance On 27. July 2010 the Total Solar Irradiance was 1360.9 W/m 0.4 W/m 2
- Slide 17
- 19.1.2010 Why radiation research ? O.5 o C in the last 30 years are antropgenic What is the anthropogenic contribution during the last 100 years? How much is natural warming? 17
- Slide 18
- The terrestrial temperature is forced 18 28.8.2013 Estimated TSI in the past by Shapiro et al., 2011
- Slide 19
- Little ice age 17 th century 19 28.8.2013
- Slide 20
- TSI monitoring needs to continue 20 28.8.2013 What if the Sun has a Maunder Minimum like minimum in the future? Hypothetical decrease of TSI Solar minimum called Maunder Minimum ongoing scientific discussion and continued need of PMOD/WRC activities !
- Slide 21
- Acknowledgments The PMOD/WRC has a radiant future thanks to the support of: WMO MeteoSwiss Kanton Graubnden Gemeinde Davos The renovation is a success story thanks to: Bundesamt fr Bauten und Logistik Emch+Berger Gesamtplanung Architektschumacher Elektrizittswerk Davos AG 28.8.2013 21
- Slide 22
- Keynote Director World Climate Research Program WMO Dr. Ghassem R. Asrar 28.8.2013 22
- Slide 23
- Inauguration Hand over of the key to the house (photo) 28.8.2013 23
- Slide 24
- Guided tour Project responsible Bundesamt fr Bauten und Logistik Valentin Feubli 28.8.2013 24
View more >
23.5.2007 Werner Schmutz, PMOD/WRC Status of the space weather experiments LYRA/PROBA2 and PREMOS/PICARD PMOD/WRC COST 724 project: Short-term variability.
PMOD / WRC Prof. Dr. Werner K. Schmutz Director PMOD/WRC Davos, Switzerland HMI meeting Stanford May 1./2., 2003 DORADE Davos Observatory Radiometer Experiment.
AUGUST-2015 - Welcome to DLW Official Inauguration of Renovated Health Club Shri Ashok Kumar Harit, General Manager inaugurated the renovated Health Club on 26th August, 2015, running under the auspices of Diesel Locomotive Works Sports ...
Assimilation of solar spectral irradiance data within the SOLID project Margit Haberreiter PMOD/WRC, Davos, Switzerland.
Zusammenfassung Das PMOD/WRC dient als internationales Kalibrierzentrum fr meteorologische Strahlungsmessinstrumente entwickelt Strahlungsmessinstrumente.
Werner Schmutz PMOD/WRC, Switzerland TOSCA Workshop Berlin, May 14, 2012 Measurements of TSI and SSI.
Modeling the Solar EUV irradiance Margit Haberreiter PMOD/WRC, Davos, Switzerland IPC XI Sept 26 Oct 15, 2010.
Physikalisch-Meteorologisches Observatorium Davos, World Radiation Center (PMOD/WRC) And is signatory of the Mutual Recognition Arrangement by the Committee.
Infrared Radiometer Calibration Center of the WRC/PMOD CIMO MEETING - PMOD/WRC 13 task 1i) Calibration procedure ... 0 23 45 68 86 108 126 149 171 189 212 234 257 277 297 315 338 360 Azimut  N E S W N
Institutes Royal Observatory of Belgium (Brussels, BE) Principal Investigator, overall design, onboard software specification, science operations PMOD/WRC.
CREATE Atmosphere - Atmosphere Prof. S. Gerard Jennings ... (PMOD/WRC) at Davos, ... requirements need bridging a thrust of GMES